What's new

YOUR WORST/DISAPOINTED/OVERATED STRAIN(S)

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
What have you tried from Nirvana's product line?

I did afghan, big bud, papaya, and several others I can't recall right now.
I haven't screwed around with nirvana since the overgrow days, but the general consensus back then is still true as far as I'm aware.

People described them as "name strain bag seed". Basically they are known strains, with known general effects, but very poorly bred. Lots of phenos and very unstable.

Can you find really great weed in a pack? Sure. You can find really great weed in mexican brickweed bagseed too, if you are willing to sort through runts, hermies, and lots of lack luster plants. Not much different with growing Nirvana except you know what strain it is.

Back when they were $15 a pack it was a decent deal. A new grower could get some practice seeds, a good variety of strains, and do some amateur breeding. If you had the space you could run 30 seeds for less than $50 and find a really nice pheno. And many people did back in the early "00s.

Now I think the price is like $45 or something like that. (don't quote me I haven't been growing or seed shopping in many years). I think I'd stick to mexi brick seeds before I dropped any real money on Nirvana.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Nirvana strains I've grown haven't shown that much variation. Both of my Wonder Woman females were crap, but my 3 White Rhino females were great. It was hard picking just one keeper. All my K2 females were great, and all my Chrystals were about the same quality (good but not the best). Maybe Nirvana just has problems with certain strains.

I've got 6 Swiss Cheese females now about 3 weeks away from harvest. Some look like they'll be bigger yielders, but they all look and smell great. That doesn't always mean they're high quality, but they look good so far. I'll test them for potency, high, and taste after they've been curing for a couple weeks.

Aksala

Depending on how my one female plant out of the pack that hasn't herm'd (yet)...it might be Sour D...

10 seeds...

2 seeds sprouted then wilted and died within 36 hours...

4 males..

4 females...of which 3 herm'd pretty early in flower...nut clusters...not just a banana here and there...

1 female that is over a month in and I've searched high and low and can't find any male flowers....so...we'll see what the final product will be like...everything I've read says that pretty much any Sour D IBL female should be badass...

I did let two of the herm plants finish as they were small I could keep most of the male flowers plucked...ended up with maybe 5 seeds....

The smoke was pretty potent.....quick to hit you in the face and real clear.

Hopefully the one female ends up being killer.

Nirvana Cali-O was by far my worst. Having said that, it was ALSO my first (BIG bud :)), and I've sampled some pretty damn good strains as well. Almost none of 'em turned out as advertised...it's like rolling the dice. I like to gamble. I have time, and I don't pay the bills with the cannabis I grow.

M

Mr. Fantastic

Ortega Indica from Dutch Passion, just bland, boring, blah! Nothing remarkable about it. Oh yeah and please stop the hate on Nirvana, I ran their White Rhino and is was very potent. Just because you had a bad experience with some of there work does not give you the right to come on here and starting throwing around blanket statements. How is it that you feel compelled to speak for "everyone?" I didn't like Ortega and I won't run anything from Dutch Passion ever again, but not because of the results. It is because of how Eddie screwed DJ Short over big time.

F. Dupp

Veteran
most people know to stay away from nirvana

Thats bullshit.

I have generally had great results with Nirvana. The Papaya was the only exception. I think their Northern Lights is the most consistent strain I have ever grown. All 10 of the plants were identical and of good quality. I recently popped 10 more that were purchased 2 years later. Same results. I have not smoked them yet, but they are completely homogenous and all look exactly as I remember.

Check out the "Surprisingly Good Strains" thread. Its only 2 pages long right now, but half the strains listed so far are from Nirvana.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Nirvana are a collective of growers, most of the strains are grown by different breeders, they vary but there are some great bargains, good strains for little money.

That is why threads like this are very helpful in sharing experiences and knowlege.

With all the reports of Sensi going downhill I am thinking of running the Sterling Haze aka Northern Lights 5 x Haze as well as the Eldorado mexican to check them out.

A

astra007

NIRVANA! which 1 of the 3 is being spoken about? regardless; the jock horror from nirvana is exceptionable. you have to remember they are in the majority F1 seeds and if you dont know what this means you could be up for some disappointment.

wspman

The worst thing I have ever grown is GHS Alaskan Ice. No Doubt about it. What a waste of time and money. With all the money Green House boast about making, you would think they could afford to test strains before release. Alaskan Ice, more like Alaskan Crap.

untill u grow from clone u will always get some crap or most of the time get some. just nature really thats why theres so many differing reviews on the same strains. overall id say most seeds out there are pretty average at best, u get a few greats n some shits as well with the average ten pack. law of regression to the mean is part of nature, all great things go back to shit occasionaly.

Noobian

Green is Gold
Veteran
I will post up some pics of the Nirvana White Widow I have going when I get back home later today, and you all can judge for yourselves if it looks like "crap" to you. I swear some people just like to talk shit because other people are doing it regardless if they've even grown the strains or not.

Noobian

Green is Gold
Veteran
Back with the pics...

For the $25 I paid for these seeds, I feel like I've got my money's worth. This was the third girl out of the pack and she's nearly identical to one of the others I grew out. Now mind you this was the first pack of seeds I ever bought, and that pack gave me exactly what I was looking for when I purchased it, crystal covered buds, that get me stoned pretty good and taste awesome. I know there are better breeders out there but you can't deny that Nirvana makes good weed

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
I will post up some pics of the Nirvana White Widow I have going when I get back home later today, and you all can judge for yourselves if it looks like "crap" to you. I swear some people just like to talk shit because other people are doing it regardless if they've even grown the strains or not.

Not to talk crap, but honestly that plant really isn't any more impressive than lots of mexi brick weed I've grown.

I don't think anyone is saying that there are absolutely no good phenos in nirvana stock, and certain strains are more stable than others, but that in general they are very unstable and poorly bred is kinda hard to deny.

I've seen pics of pure indica pheno of their pure sativa haze. I personally had a thin leaf purple sativa out of their afghan line.

To get upset when someone refers to them as a crap shoot is like getting angry for someone saying the dollar store sells generic brands. Not only do they do it, its sorta their business model.

The reason they are, or at least used to be so cheap is because they are a genetic crap shoot. You can find some good weed in the packs. But that is the problem. You can find not just good weed, but all sorts of weed in the pack. And not necessarily what you were paying to get.

I don't have a problem with nirvana, or brickweed seeds for that matter. But to think there is no quality difference in a pure bred and tested F1 hybrid, or a meticulously stabilized strain as compared to nirvana seeds is ignorant at best.

Last edited:
R

ran outta love

But to think there is no quality difference in a pure bred and tested F1 hybrid, or a meticulously stabilized strain as compared to nirvana seeds is ignorant at best.

Nirvana sells both stable true breeding strains (for example Skunk and NL) and F1 hybrids (for example Aurora Indica).

I have found their seeds to be of excellent quality (experience with NL, NL/Haze and Snow White). No hermie/runt issues and good germ rates. The descriptions have been accurate if somewhat short.

You hadn't had as good luck but I noticed the strains you mentioned were fast flowering or high yielding easy to grow ones, and marketed as such. Not really even supposed to be connoisseur stuff (if bud quality was the issue). Also two of them have been discontinued, ages ago.

The seeds are still well worth their cost even if the price has gone up from 15 euros to 20 euros. Yes that will seem like a larger increase in dollars but you can hardly blame Nirvana for the low value of the dollar.