What's new

YOUR WORST/DISAPOINTED/OVERATED STRAIN(S)

johnbobit

mudguts sounds like you got the hindukush side of pot of gold. Definatly not the keeper in my eyes. But there is a gem in those genes.

edit: who knows know though, that they now are owned by sensi

Alot of bad things have been said about GHS. I've grown out WW several times from them. I haven't had any problems with hermies, but a friend of mine grow did. What I can say about it was all the seeds came up pretty uniform, vigorous, and easy to clone. I've found it to be not the most spectacular, but I still have a clone in my garden. If I had the money and the resources I would love to compare the various WW out there like Mr Nice Black Widow, Joey Weeds F2, and Nirvana's.

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
yea well the guys that run nirvana dont ask much for their wares....

when your paying £200-300+ on wack ass DNA or DP gear then you get a bit pissy...

T

turbotronic

GHS SSH,tiny seeds that never germed even though everything else did what a waste of £££s,sounds like i had a lucky escape as it seems like they're breeding hemp or just dont know what they're doing,mandala seeds-too many herms for me,one hashberry had some huge nuts.
Sensi seeds mexican sativa was a terrible smoke and dp flo fem,they just go crispy!

My big misses have been:

Big bang (loose fluffy, long flowering, just crap)

Sour Diesel (clone, cannot confirm genetics, but this was loose, fluffy, and folks didn't like the high)

Hawaiian Snow (not bad, but not great, and not meeting 'advertised' hype)

SSH GHS (very good smoke, but from what I've heard SSH should be more than just above average)

Given what I've paid for seeds, money usually has little to no bearing on quality, though I wonder about within a breeder how much money matters, are their best strains really the most expensive?

Mandala for instance has very very affordable genetics, that are IME high quality. Of the mandala seeds I've planted, 95% resulted in a plant, not just germ, and that's no exaggeration, about 1 in 20 seeds don't come up. This is across 100+ seeds, and many strains.

Whereas GHS I've paid far more for, had far worse germ rates (likely old stock, who knows) and the quality of the best was just average compared to what I've grown from mandala.

Of all the many strains I've grown (well about 20), I've never come across one that just stuck out like a sore thumb and knocked me on my ass, I've come across shitty ones that stuck out though :) . That be all end all (IMO) that clearly deserves the hype just doesn't exist.

I mean, don't get me wrong, strains like C99, BOGs stuff, and others are great, but they aren't so great that we should be paying regular prices for F5s or F2s.

Of my 5 grows now, I keep coming back to mandala, mostly because I think its safe. Solid nugs, great flavor, no complaints.

OPT

I think this thread is half retarded.

I'm not saying that all seeds are awesome, or all seeds suck, but I mean really, it bascially comes down to personal preference.

Just because a seed doesn't germ doesn't mean it was the breeders fault. Sure, it could be, but not 100 percent of the time. If the jackass on the other end doesn't know how to germ seeds right ,then of course they won't germ.

Same goes with taste, potency, yield. It's an opinion.

For me, getting a couple ounces off 1 plant seems like a good yield.

On the other hand, someone growing a strain such as say.... big bud will look at my 2 ounces in one plant and will think it's weak, so who's really to say who is right.

I think one thing people easily forget is that no 1 plant is the same to another, unless clone. There are so many hybrids nowadays of this crossed with that, back crossed to this, that the a pack of 10 seeds outta the ..what..thousands that the plant produced, there is a good chance that those 10 won't give you the exact pheno your looking for.

If you get a pack of blueberry, maybe 10/10 will have a blueberry taste, maybe 1/10...maybe none, it's all about the phenotype.

This is the exact reasons why people like to buy multiple packs of seeds of the same strain, to find that "special keeper". Then, they can take clones from that keeper, and the remaining cuttings final product is going to be the same for the most part.

There is a reason why a lot of the breeders we have nowadays are still around and still pumping out seeds. For the most part they have shown a reason why they are respectable, and if they aren't, it's only a matter of time until they disappear.

To me, an outstanding breeder would be someone that can isolate them unique charactistics in a strain, to have them show there faces on a more regular level.

Also, a lot of the problems some have with strains are purely just , bad luck. Of course spending 200-300 bucks for 10 seeds then have them all not sprout, look like shit, etc is gonna piss a person off. But I'm damn near positive that if you let it be known to most breeders of this caliber that you spend that much money and the seeds were shit, they would be more then happy to help you out.

As far as my most let down strain, i would have to go with Nirvana's White Rhino, BUT, i would put all that blame squarly on myself and my noobness back then.

OPT

R

REDEYE_420

Running GH bunk ass so called cheese was enough to turn me off of GH.

It only mildly tasted like Big Buddha's Cheese, not exciting at all.

buddha's cheese, grew it out 10 weeks of flower and was a low yield and pooey

Big Buddha's Cheese does seem to have lost some potency. Quite a few friends have mentioned the same thing. Wonder what's up there?

I think this thread is half retarded.

I'm not saying that all seeds are awesome, or all seeds suck, but I mean really, it bascially comes down to personal preference.

Just because a seed doesn't germ doesn't mean it was the breeders fault. Sure, it could be, but not 100 percent of the time. If the jackass on the other end doesn't know how to germ seeds right ,then of course they won't germ.

Come on...really? Surely the people that are commenting in this thread, are doing so from experience?

I agree that people that don't have access to the Cannabis forums such as ICMag, MNS or even Cannabis literature are prone to making mistakes, as they don't have the information at hand that we do. But for the members here not knowing how to germ seeds, for me, would seem crazy. I'm not completely naive, I do agree that some of the posts in this thread may be newbies-but the majority must be competent in germing seeds-Surely?

This is why I was taken back a little by the comment-I'm not trying to pick a fight. I'm just giving my opinion.

I suppose between this thread about "YOUR WORST/DISAPOINTED/OVERATED STRAIN(S)" and another thread entitled "Whos your 3 favorite breeders?", you would be able to get a picture of where to go and where not to go, to spend your hard earned money?

The seed is the first part of the journey, then comes the growing, then the crop, then the cure, then the smoke and maybe then some profit to boot. Whilst I agree not everyone is going to have the same tastes, surely everyone would register quality?

Quality is what it boils down to. If I got one seed that germed from a 10 pack, and that one seed turned into a keeper-then you would be satisfied, yes? I would.

However if you brought a ten pack with your cash and they all germed, but you didn't find a keeper in there, then you would be disappointed that you had wasted so much effort, time, cash, electric and nutes on the strain.

Just my thoughts, which are Chocoloped up right now LOL!

Peace :tiphat:

chefboy6969

OverGrow Refugee
Veteran
I LOVE this THREAD...I have posted strains that were a disappointment here and thousand's of other ICMAG'ers have and..I for one have found it to be very educational and helpful..I agree some of the times its grower error...but the reality is NOT ALL STRAINS KICK ASS...some are just plain not good...and on the other hand one man's garbage can be another treasure..that's just the way life is...so don't rag on the thread ok...and be honest..cause it's for others to read and decide on their own...

peace
Chefboy

redspaghetti

love machine
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i've been reading and reading this thread and i found a lot of you guys said some of the very very good strains suck.

I've given cuts to friends and new growers, sometime they come to me and tell me why did i give them cheap genetic because or poor weed.
I ask them what make you say that, then they show me the nugs they harvested, i compare my nugs to theirs, from the same mother. I told them this is the same stuff and they told me no.

this is what i tell them, it is not the strains, it is the grower. if you grow it right i can assure you they will not suck.

One Love 731

Veteran
I think there are allot of brown thumbs on this site. I have grown a few of the strains that have been mentioned and if your dialed they come out great (there are plenty pics in my gallery to back me up). These days I don't have the time to play with seeds but still make a few from time to time. I have Mosca's c99f2's, Sonic Fly f2's, C99xGHS Cheese, C99x GHS Himalayan Gold and C99xPure gold. Ill probably run some of the f2's and c99xPG for a male hunt and cross them to Purple Kush, Blackberry Bubba and Super Lemon Haze next. I got a little off track but people lets quit hate'n on breeders hard work. Karma, One Love

Bulldog11

Veteran
Best ever: Romulan from seed (federation) SSH clone, and Hasan (Humboldt county clone)

Worst Ever: Romulan Clone from shady dispensary
Big Budda Cheese Seed form
OGer Seed form
Trainwreck clone from unreputable source.

All the clones I chalk up to shady people selling crap and calling it "Romulan"

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
Sadly I have 3. All from the same breeder.

Aurora Indica
Chrystal
Master Kush

All 3 gave me problems. AI and now Chrystal. I'm only 30 days from harvest. Maybe I got the low yield phenotype with tiny ass, but rock hard buds. Master Kush wouldn't flower after 30+ days of 12/12.

once again not to rip the breeder. Just the strains.

dan_kass

I got a little off track but people lets quit hate'n on breeders hard work. Karma, One Love

Sorry broseph but making F2 knock off's or female seeds of REAL breeders material is anything BUT hard work on the part of the seed makers....especially when zero selection was done of said material. Just my opinion.

My most disappointing "store bought" variety would have to of been KC Brains Mango....horrible germination rates and the worst hermified female I've ever seen.

~dan

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran
I do seeds and i had hermies and terrible germ rates with KC brains.. That was early on so i thought maybe its me. now many years later i tried to germ 3 of their flavas to no avail.. Also i dropped 10 shagadelics and not one cracked. bubblelicious from nirvana i just finished and the high was :chin: say 6 outta 10. the taste was 5/10 and odor was 5/10.. something that will make me not grow this for a long time.. i grew ICE and focked it up early but she recovered stunted growth to hell but, she was good puffs.. would grow her again.
ak48 was prolly my fave nirvana flava i grew. bitch was greasy as hell..odor was nice and skunky/motor oil smell.. taste was mentholish skunkoil if that makes sense.. i wish i woulda kept her.. peace n pufs

sackO