What's new

YOUR WORST/DISAPOINTED/OVERATED STRAIN(S)

H

hassan-i-sahba

dp's oasis fems were crap - hermied, weak smoke

i had a disappointing run with mns critical mass - weak, boring stone

mayan

Atavist
Veteran
Blueberry Skunk from Flying Dutchman...I can't say with certituded, that it's the strain. I will freely admit that it might have been me. First time growing in six years and I had to shinny up the learning curve again. I popped to female seeds. Both came up female. But they might as well have been two different strains entirely. One was small, sparesely budded...little wispy things. OK...that may have been my growing technique although the other plants in the collection were budded much better and developed infinitely better.

The second plant came close to overgrowing EVERYTHING in my little grow space (2'X3'). It was a monster swallowing that tried to swallow all the other plants...tried to eat the light and was trying to break through the barrier of the ceiling. It had the worst calyx, leaf ration I have ever seen...leafier than a raspberry bush. Horrifically leafy and...at 65 days in, wasn't close to finishing. The buds were almost non-existent. Luckily, it made GREAT hash.

I'm happy to shoulder some of the blame. My grow was too crowded, driven my desire for variety (my new technique...the one you haven't read about in the FAQs yet..."JoG" = Jungle of Green, aka complete green anarchy.) I do have to say that all of the other strains looked like well-behaved cannabis plants, and gave me some wonderful buds, as opposed to a complete runt and an amazon that swallowed up everything in its path.

I will say this...the potency was outstanding but otherwise, the plants were like the Danny Devito/Arnold Schwarnegger movie, Twins. "A Tale of Two Shitties." I truly believe that this strain is a...to put it kindly...work in progress and not a stable strain that should command as much money as they asked for and received. Thanks God for bubblehash and dry sift!!!!

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
u people need to understand, you pop 2-3 seeds, your chances of finding something good is slim to shit.
rez's sd ibl was great smoke imo.
of course i popped 2 packs to find my banger.

so before you make a final say on a strain, grow out enough of a population to make a good/bad judgement.
and i always run a strain twice (minimum).
the second time around is always different than the first.
luv it or hate it,
my :2cents:

johnbobit

mayan i too have been very disappointed in flying dutchmens fem lines. They will not get a penny of my money ever again. Pot of gold was great which is why i tryed a few of there femed line but all were complete shit.

D

deathtosoapbar

johnbobit sorry if i come across wrong but flying dutchmen cant be blamed for the new fem lines as they sold the company but the pot of gold would be great because it was produced by flying dutchmen before the takeover now its just a company name not the real flying dutchmen ...as i understand it if eddie was still running flying dutchmen they wouldnt have done any fem lines...and the pure wouldnt have contained 7 hermies in a 10 pack...has to be said

G

guest123

ive grown some strains out a second time after disappointment with the first grow , but seeing potential for better ...
its nice to give some a second chance , id understand anyone not wanting to try a hermie disappointment again though ..
any of u guys decide to give a disappointment a second chance to redeem iteslf under perhaps different conditions ???

hanfiking

i hated sugar shack...it really sucked..in my opinion....

peace
Chefboy

What sucked??

I think either the growing community/us or the seed banks need to trace back the lineage of
some of these strains and try crossing them again with some changes to improve the anomilies
and maybe find a new even better version.

If it's potency anyone is worried about try to simply raise the temps in the grow room to increase
gland and resin production to that maybe resembling of professional breeders. Don't just randomly
cross it with a proven good strain and expect good results and prolong plant contamination.
That would be a waste of time. On the other hand you could try again using another method.

JoJoDancer

Personally I just stay away from breeders(seed makers) who have over 10 strains. It's suppose to be about selection and numbers. How can you have 30-40 strains, grow out 1000 plus plants of each variety. To find the most desirable. Impossible!
I haven't had one good plant from any company with more than 10 basic strains on their list. Check that.. Paradise is one with more than ten that I had a good experience with.
Just not into knock offs I guess. I also don't believe that there are thousands of different varieties of cannibus. Only thousands of phenos of a few. Where breeders are thinking they are reinventing the wheel. Cross this indica with that sativa and get a rainbow of flavors. Grow out some seeds and find eveything from hemp to Oaxacan in the same genes. Which brings me to my point. A true breeder can't have too many strains because the search for the winning phenos to breed and stablize are few in hundreds if not thousands. Stay with the guys who consentrate on a few. There is where the quality is to be found. IMHO

Elk Woman

worst strains

worst strains

I grew out Snowcap and was completely underwhelmed; the buzz was somewhat acceptable, but it had no personality of its own. I like florals and fragrances to go with the buzz, and Snowcap had none that turned me on.

Critical Mass was quite boring, nothing special about it. Produced a fair amount, but none of us tasters were impressed by the buzz. Taste and smell were quite forgettable.

Masterkush was a weak joke: only four long kola tips and none of it worth smoking. Granted, we were still on a learning curve back then as to what it takes to produce a primo plant.

I hated growing the OG Kush; it went all larfy on us and the yield was small for six large plants. But hubby likes the smell/taste, so he used it all up. I thought the buzz was quite underwhelming.

Bubba Kush was a lovely little plant, and a nice smoke for pain or sleep issues, but it never got bigger than knee high for us; total smoking weight was less than 4 oz for two plants. This was probably due to my erstwhile 'partner's' version of growing: plant lots of mediocre pot, underfeed it as per the minimum nutes ala the '70s, -- oh, and TRIM THE PLANT TO KNEE HIGH TO FORCE MORE GROWTH?!? SOOO did not work! (suffice to say, that 'partner' is now long gone, and so is our friendship).

MOST skunks don't work for me at all (except Super Skunk); too stinky and usually harsh.

GP2B

Personally I just stay away from breeders(seed makers) who have over 10 strains. It's suppose to be about selection and numbers. How can you have 30-40 strains, grow out 1000 plus plants of each variety. To find the most desirable. Impossible!
I haven't had one good plant from any company with more than 10 basic strains on their list. Check that.. Paradise is one with more than ten that I had a good experience with.
Just not into knock offs I guess. I also don't believe that there are thousands of different varieties of cannibus. Only thousands of phenos of a few. Where breeders are thinking they are reinventing the wheel. Cross this indica with that sativa and get a rainbow of flavors. Grow out some seeds and find eveything from hemp to Oaxacan in the same genes. Which brings me to my point. A true breeder can't have too many strains because the search for the winning phenos to breed and stablize are few in hundreds if not thousands. Stay with the guys who consentrate on a few. There is where the quality is to be found. IMHO

I agree 100%, look at Serious Seeds, they have what, 6 strains and are all among the most consistent available. Breeders should take the time to produce quality genetics rather than selling hyped up names with montly new releases of untested crosses, then blaming customers if their garbage constantly hermies or produces inferior product. But..guess where the money is, in new hyped up strains with fancy names.

ive grown some strains out a second time after disappointment with the first grow , but seeing potential for better ...
its nice to give some a second chance , id understand anyone not wanting to try a hermie disappointment again though ..
any of u guys decide to give a disappointment a second chance to redeem iteslf under perhaps different conditions ???

I have some 8ball Kush @38days and it has hands down THE worst yeild I've ever experienced or seen with ANY other strain. BUT with that being said. I've never :

1)grown this particular strain
2) Never grown a kush strain OR cross before.
3) The cuts i received were sickly and had early signs of spidermites.

So I figure i'll let it do it's thing and get to know what it likes a little better. i also hear that Kush's tend to fatten up a little later then some strains.?(could be way wrong on that tho) I figure I'll go 65'ish days n see what happens:joint:

haze12421

Dont compare Lowryder with Lowlife. Lowryder # 2 is a great plant. Seed to harvest in 68 days and can give good yield with sog. For a first time grower that wants to smoke is own grown marijuana and doesnt want to wait average 98 days then LR#2 is a great smoke. I made some seeds and they are even bigger growing 3 feet tall under a 400. Its a perfect day time smoke and taste very nice and fruity. I bet the diesel ryder is really nice as well.
Lowlifes Auto AK's were horrible they took like 90 days to flower so you might as well of just grow AK.

ARTofMAKINGfire

Grinding extra.
Veteran
I don't know if this counts but it was a freebie from Seedboutique.

South African Durban Poison X Skunk 1

1 of 10 popped, withered and died.

Maybe just me?

Also, Reeferman Cherry Bomb II as well. I experienced 2 phenos. Both decent to large yield but not very much trichromes and low odor even after cure.

buddah

Life is one big grow........
Veteran
South African Durban Poison X Skunk 1 is a very very old stock from Sam....the germination is very low but after 12 or 15 years;-)
I had two of it outdoor, very very nice weed..good buzz and a real nice taste but not very moldREsistant

D

down7ime

I agree 100%, look at Serious Seeds, they have what, 6 strains and are all among the most consistent available. Breeders should take the time to produce quality genetics rather than selling hyped up names with montly new releases of untested crosses, then blaming customers if their garbage constantly hermies or produces inferior product. But..guess where the money is, in new hyped up strains with fancy names.

Serious seeds are a little more pricey though arent they?

if you grow out a cheap 10 pack and get a kill pheno then i reckon you'd still be happy, plus you've saved a whole lot of coin as well. Its the choice you make and i for one am greatful for having the option.

There are a lot of people out there grow a mix pack or only a couple of seeds of a strain and expect to get the exact killer pheno, and when they dont, they bitch and complain.

Latest posts

Latest posts