What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

You-Tube now requires a Google account

TheGreenBastard

Assistant Weekend Trailer Park Superviser
Veteran
Google is pure evil. Google=Echelon. Googles objective is to absorb the entire internet so you have to go through google to access the web. If you welcome this then your oblivious to FREEDOM TO PRIVACY!

You have the freedom to not use google or google services, no one is actively stealing your information, the only data they use is the data you let them use. The point of the internet is to share information, if you don't want to share something don't upload it. No makes you get a facebook account, but millions of people willingly post sensitive information such as name, location, age, employment, etc. The problem isn't corporations, in the end it is the users responsible to asses the risks and determine if they are willing to accept them. It's not an invasion of privacy if you willingly and openly provide the information.

You speak as if you are undoubtedly certain of Google's intention, I believe you described it as "pure evil". How is it that one man is capable of possessing such knowledge? It is impossible to take ones arguments seriously when they speak in such an arrogant manner. Your "conviction" suggest your are a close minded fool, regardless of the amount of evidence for either side it is impossible to know anything for certain.

You say I'm oblivious to the 4th Amendment though it is obvious it is you who is ignorant. The "freedom to privacy" applies to the active search of objects or information, in this case search is defined as looking for something that is hidden (out of view). When we (includes belongings/computer) actively provide information to a public place (ex. Facebook) it is no longer private there for no infringement can occur. Google access information like this in order to from search results, they are not actively stealing information with criminal intent.

T

tea

hi guys:wave:

to stop your paranoia a little bit go to your

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc (Win7)

and edit your host file with a texteditor.

add this

127.0.0.1 google-analytics.com
127.0.0.1 partner.googleadservices.com

...to not care too much about google.

after editing your host file must look like this:
# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
# For example:
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost
127.0.0.1 activate.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 adobe.activate.com
127.0.0.1 practivate.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 ereg.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 adobeereg.com
127.0.0.1 activate.wip3.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 wip3.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 3dns-3.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 3dns-2.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 adobe-dns.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 adobe-dns-2.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 adobe-dns-3.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 ereg.wip3.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 activate-sea.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 wwis-dubc1-vip60.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 activate-sjc0.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 wwis-dubc1-vip60.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 nero.com
127.0.0.1 www.nero.com
127.0.0.1 activate.nero.com
127.0.0.1 www.activate.nero.com
127.0.0.1 nero.de
127.0.0.1 www.nero.de
127.0.0.1 activate.nero.de
127.0.0.1 www.activate.nero.de
127.0.0.1 google-analytics.com
127.0.0.1 partner.googleadservices.com
and if you ask yourself what's with all the other adresses...this is to stop the serial request from my non original software.

hope this will help...:coffee:

A

ak-51

I wouldn't consider anything they do evil. You realize there are things like war and famine in the world? Besides the fact that I find the word "evil" a bit juvenile, I don't think they're all that bad.

As has been stated over and over: nothing is forcing you to use their services. And as far as I can tell their only income is from advertising. Correction:
googleadrev.jpg

97% of their income is advertising.

Now as annoying and pointless as I think advertising is, I wouldn't exactly call it evil.

There are important privacy issues that are raised by having one company hold such vast amounts of data, but they only have data on you because you gave it to them and they only want it so that they can sell targeted advertising.

It's not hard to become effectively untraceable online and it only takes a minimal amount of work to do it. Tor, VPN tunnels and proxies, military-grade encryption and private websites; all of these things can help you avoid being tracked. Google it.

Also in reference to the idea that Google and the Obama administration are in cahoots and all they want is to amass as much information as possible please explain this.

grapeman

Veteran
Google employees are not supermuans, it is not possible for any one or group of people to comprehend the vast amount of data google has, that is what computers are for, the only reason SELECT google employees have access to that data is for maintenance. Either people gravly overestimate the abilities of the human mind or they do not understand how google works. Google emmployees are not fucking rainman.

Moreover even if one were to use the data maliciously their isn't much substantial damage that could be done, besides there are positions implemented specifically to deal with abuse of the system.

Googles algorithms for seach results are based off of the users, that is what makes google such a great such engine, the reason that some sites are higher than others is based on the frequency of seaches and vists. If you really want to see a tea party website with info about "obamacare" try seaching for 'tea party obamacare' you might get better results. If you know what your looking for and how to search for it you'll find what you want. It's not googles fault you don't know how to seach, and if your argument is that people who search for similar info will be directed to 'bullshit' sites that is also there fault. Its not googles responsibility to direct sites which agree with your political views, its your responsbilty to find them.

Wrong on both points. This has nothing to do with my political beliefs, it has to do with what google pretends is the truth, by changing search results that do NOT comply with THEIR political beliefs.

It is documented and there for you to see if you care to look.

grapeman

Veteran
How can you make statements like above, but defend Monsanto with the same mindset?

It's good to see you still calling everyone children... it assures me you aren't suffering from multiple personalities... at least while using the same handle :)

I see by your avatar that you finally shaved. :)

T

TrichyTrichy

Youtube got some whacked Aprils fool vid's they didn't like....

Latest posts

Latest posts