What's new

yield 1 gr per watt : what's the trick ?

I've been growing hydro in DWC for a while, i've got good results IMO, but never reached 1 gr per watt ..

I've got a 1 square meter grow tent with a 600 W HPS new bulb, 5 plants ( sensi skunk 1 fem : 3 weeks of veg ) in 2 bubblers with plenty of air, a good fert, the plants are fine, but i don't think i will reach 600 gr of dried buds. In fact 600 gr of dried buds is a LOT of weed, it represents a lot of green material (leaves, stems, ...)
So, to get 600 gr with a 600 watter, must i grow in more than 1 square meter to put more plants ? Add CO2, grow trees ? So what's the trick ?
Who does it and how ?
Thanks

I'd say one of the big things would be topping/FIMing/LSTing, etc,. keeping the plants "wide" with mutple top colas.

Visualize a SOG or ScrOG with 4 plants in a square and each of the 4 having 8-16 top colas - this is what I think would be a big factor.

Opus53

lots of factors, after being a competant grower (which i beleave you are) strain/pheno is a large key.

this one article in a magazine i read recently had a lil pictorial on an outdoor garden that consisted of 10 plants.....

sorry to clutter your thread but it got me thinking...how many WATTS the sun is and what kind of yield it should be, lol, infinitiy grams growing all over the world from that "light."

Anyway, the plants each pull about 10 lbs dried it said, so that's 16x28=448x10=4480gx10 plants,
44,480 grams off 10 plants under that light, (SUN), lol...that's is killer, I guess that could mean that the sun is equivilent to 44,000w light, (and that's just in one garden) lol.

sorry i just took a few rips and...
-Sinse

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
head over to the vertical growing area, you will see guys that are getting 2.0 gpw their, hell I screwed up on my last vertical run and I "almost" hit 1 GPW.....strain choice is important, but in my opinion, plant count also is very important. Check out a stadium grow (stickied) by Laylow, you'll see a guy who totally killed on his last grow!

His picture of his stadium is also used on the ICmag landing page for "Picture of the Month" as well.

Good luck man!

strain/pheno is a large key.

Absolutely. A lot of the seed sources now will even post a yield/space figure. Like 400g/1m^3, 400 grams per one meter cubed.

Even with some of the best grow techniques period there are probably some Sativa strains that wouldn't be able to yield near as much as an Indica or hybrid would - and it'd be just due to that strain genetically not being a large producer.

Nutrients can make a difference too. I see a lot of supplements that boast denser, bigger, more buds, etc., I'm sure the use of one of those probably can increase yield.

My current set up is under a 400w and even though I'm a month away still from knowing how much I yielded when all is said and done, it's actually a little less than that, I'm probably looking at 100g or something pathetic - but then going forward I will know where I stand

-Sinse

I do LST during the first 3 weeks of flo, during the stretch, i try to choose high yielding strains (but from seeds never cuttings of special pheno). I veg only 3 weeks because if i veg more, the plants are too tall and touch the roof ...
Yes i saw some people get 2 g/W in vertical stadium, i can't believe it ...
Not simple to vert my 600w in the same tent. Vert need a little more space IMHO

I'm not sure to get 400 gr from my 600w

sso

Veteran
strain. period.

example, grew out papaya nirvana, fine yielder inofitself, similar to most buds out there that ive seen and grown(average)

next to it, smaller plant, smaller stem, less leaves, the bigbudxnorthernlights from same company, nirvana.

about 4x times bigger buds, and vastly more dense.

funnily just a stutterstep behind in the potency department (papaya is a Narcotic smoke)

so, id say, nr1 strain. nr2, but not near as important, though imprtant (n2 after all)

lampsize.

then n3 conditions (temps, airflow, ferts, medium)

but even a 1000w lamp with the best conditions for the plant, will only give you its maximum potential.

its not gonna change peevee herman into the hulk.

so yeah, strain.

sso

Veteran
with any lst´ing pruning, you are gonna want to shoot for 4 tops per sqf. (or per plant)

more tops and they will crowd one another out and limit the light available to the bottom.

pruning at the third node, creates automatically 4 tops, perfectly spaced, more or less.

you can do the same with lst, but its more fiddly and you need to actually prune more to get 4 tops only and its not going to be as nicely shaped (for the light)

------

growing in soil, get good black (or dark brown) fluffy soil, organic and with lots of ferts, that limits alot what you need to feed with ferts and works out better in the end.

-----------

vegging for long time, is bit pointless.

you end up with a large plant thats going to have only about 1/4 of it lit by the big lamp, rest by vastly inferior lights (sidelighting) or not at all.

its more efficient to grow more plants, about a foot tall plant for 600w example, or perhaps 1.5 foot. is perfect. it gets pretty much equal lighting all the way down. no popcorn or very little.

plus you get more crops per year.

so id advise sog (or a bit fewer plants, but pruned at the 3rd node to create 4 tops and fill out the space with less plants, but sog is probably more efficient, but more plant count)

-----

unless you are growing scrog (very efficient horizontal technique)

where you´d veg one plant (or more) for much longer time, filling out the net and canopy.

wasting little of the plant to the undeside, cause its gonna be flat.

one Q

Quality
Veteran
I say this having NOT YET attained 1gpw.

Strain/Cut Selection. A LOW yielding cut will always be that.
and besides having a proper enviro...

PRACTICE

Find a cut that you see has potential for Good Yields and keep running the cut over and over and learn her. See what she likes.... I say Round 4, you should begin to get REALLY close to 1GPW (or sooner if you have exp as a great gardener already)

Just my opinion... when in doubt, refer to my sig line below

measure you harvest wet or half dry!

Yes, very funny ! One issue can be how dry is your weed when you measure your harvest. I use the scale when the buds are quite dry, smokable, before putting them in jars. BUT when i scale one month after from a jar i get much less weigh, because they keep on drying in the jars...

One other thought ! When a breeder says that strain can yield up to 450 gr / M2 indoor, it's maybe true if you use a strong light, at leat 600w / m2, GHS says they use 1000W/m2, and if you get 450 gr for 600 w it's not 1gr/M2.
So i anderstand that 1g/M2 is a challenge, and reaching it is an art, and i'm a pupil...

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
SOG, Sea of Green, female clones in at 4 per sq/ft, grown single cola style, clones straight on to 12/12, ebb/flow table.

6-7 weeks later, harvest.

Indica dominant strains preferred.

3X3 TABLE, 36 FEMALE INDICA CLONES, 1000W

picture.php

6-7 WEEKS LATER, 36 OF THESE

picture.php

Over 1G/W.

OK, your table is more or less 1 square meter, yes ? So this way you can yield 1000 gr with your table, after calculation, you harvest 36 colas of 27 gr each. I believe you. The growing area is more than 1 square meter. So lot of plants, and a lot of light, and a quite "staying short" strain, ... are the keys ...

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
1 gpw is only half the equation...

1 gpw per how many days?

my goal for now is 1 gpw(flowering) per 70 days.

High Country

Veteran
OK, your table is more or less 1 square meter, yes ? So this way you can yield 1000 gr with your table, after calculation, you harvest 36 colas of 27 gr each. I believe you. The growing area is more than 1 square meter. So lot of plants, and a lot of light, and a quite "staying short" strain, ... are the keys ...

And you have to have a rock solid cloning technique.....high plant numbers required.

highonmt

Veteran
its easy with internet adjusted numbers...lol

That is the truth my friend, easier said than done.

If your goal is 1000g/1000w you need to have 2lbs and another 1/4LB dried and in the jar.... There are a lot of ways to do it but it starts with controlling your environment in a consistent manner. Most commercial nutrient systems without additives can work for you. The most important things imo are RH, temp[DAY AND NIGHT], air flow[or co2] also root zone oxygenation, circulation, pH and temp. When you get all these dialed in and keep them that way for the entire cycle you will see your numbers go up. A 60 day veg sure makes it easier too...good luck friend,
HM

High Country

Veteran
That is the truth my friend, easier said than done.

If your goal is 1000g/1000w you need to have 2lbs and another 1/4LB dried and in the jar.... There are a lot of ways to do it but it starts with controlling your environment in a consistent manner. Most commercial nutrient systems without additives can work for you. The most important things imo are RH, temp[DAY AND NIGHT], air flow[or co2] also root zone oxygenation, circulation, pH and temp. When you get all these dialed in and keep them that way for the entire cycle you will see your numbers go up. A 60 day veg sure makes it easier too...good luck friend,
HM

I reckon, when it comes to growing SOG'S

Veg time...is a waste of time

I can get over 1 kg with 1000W in about 6-7 weeks, dried

My strain "High Country Indica"

Clone only.