What's new

yet another dep ?

phrank

My girl and I have been pulling tarp over a 40' x 20' dep tunnel with minimal effort. Tonight it was a different story. It had rained a bit, and the tarp was "sticky" as hell. We finally got it, but it was a total bitch. Any thoughts on making it easier..?

I had to deal with this once. If you didnt have the 5mm or whatever plastic on there you wouldn't have a problem. I considered lubing up my greenhouse with a cheap oil---not knowing how that would affect the integrity of the material---a proper blackout system does it from the inside to avoid this...I was watching the weather like a hawk when I was doing it this way. I even rigged the film to my truck and tried to pull it over and it just ripped the end off.

Limeygreen

Veteran
Run poles or an outside hoop outside your tunnel, then attach your tarp to a series of pullies, hook up to a manual crank to pull open and close.

we have tied ropes to the plastic the small multicolored nylon ones if you bunch the plastic and tie a knot around it will hold well also look into a golden arm its a arm type thing ive never used one but it looks handy

mister c

Lol do the rope and a tennis ball bit, throw them over , pull ropes until you can reach tarp, then flip it up then down hella fast with a flick of your arm/wrist and pull/walk back when its" floating". Aka The Parachute pull! Did this with a 20x30x15 with ease for a few yrs.

jbarsk8

Parachute pull is the way to go, once you shake it and get some air between black tarp and clear plastic life is much easier

HillMizer

When it's a film on film deal this happens a lot. Leaf blowers can help "fluff" the tarp. Been thinking about using a couple flooring blowers mounted on the back of a house. Mounting pullies up high (trees or 6"+ poles buried 4 foot in concrete.) so you hoist the tarp high and then let it fall onto the hoophouse works great.
Good luck!