What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Yellowing on leaf tips

Jerry_Garcia

So I’m running Athena’s Pro line for the first time and have been happy with the results thus far. However, this leaf tip yellowing started about a week ago. I’m on day 52 of my 12/12 light cycle with these photos in soil. I use a Spider Farmer 730 watt LED (SE7000). I use filtered city water. Could this be early stages of over fertilizing? Two out of 4 plants are showing this.

IMG_1310.jpeg

Jerry_Garcia

Could be too much Nitrogen,colour of your leafes is very dark green,also tips of leafes going upwards,
thats overdrive with nutes.
Thanks much Zeta. I was feeding per Athena's schedule and per instructions, at week 6 I switched out their Core with Fade so as to avoid excess N as I move through late flower. However, you could be on point and my soil may have built up an excess over time. I'm not overly concerned as they look good otherwise and have stacked nicely but maybe this is a good sign I can stop feeding them. Appreciate your take on this

Zeta Reticuli

All nute companies wish that you spend more nutes so you will come to buy more and that hows
your soil built a excess N,its a good to use enzyme product every second watering so your medium
can breath and plants can spend extra nutes that are in medium.

I will give them now something like this--Powerzyme and give them vitamins like
Supervit together with 2 grams of vitamin C or ascorbic acid in
5 gallons of plain water.

I was show you Hesi as they are pretty common in EU and they have some good products,i was use
Powerzyme and Supervit and can say they worth a money,keeps plants and medium balanced and healthy.

Last edited by a moderator:

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
So I’m running Athena’s Pro line for the first time and have been happy with the results thus far. However, this leaf tip yellowing started about a week ago. I’m on day 52 of my 12/12 light cycle with these photos in soil. I use a Spider Farmer 730 watt LED (SE7000). I use filtered city water. Could this be early stages of over fertilizing? Two out of 4 plants are showing this.

View attachment 18982033
The deficiency is worst at the top of the bud, which means it is a non-mobile deficiency/lockout.

This is identified as a Zinc deficiency. Notice the yellow tips, contrasting with the very dark green/blueish leaves.

1712076973262.png

Source.

So what causes the zinc deficiency/lockout?

- a high pH is usually what locks out non-mobile nutrients.
- the non-cannabis specific, synthetic fertilizer.
- the calyxes are pretty far into ripeness, they don't really need a lot of nutrients if they had compost or supersoil.

According to Mulder's Chart, Zinc is locked out by too much: Calcium, Phosphorus and Iron.

1712078509638.png

Source

1712077682762.png

The problem is that this has very high levels of nutrients that are not in a balance designed for cannabis specifically, which means there is going to be a buildup of nutrients that weren't taken up, and imbalances.

One way to know if it's overfertilization is to run a very small amount of filtered water through it and collect the first drops, just enough to test. See if the pH is higher or lower and the EC or PPM is high. The more water runs through the medium, the lower the testresult is going to be, so the key is to get the first teaspoon. It's not a perfect method, however it gives you an idea whether values are too high or too low.

Last edited:

Jerry_Garcia

It's funny, I was looking at deficiency pictures and Zinc was one I paused on. From my understanding, Zn deficiency is almost always a pH issue. They were due for a watering so I just gave them all a good drink til runoff with FloraKleen added.

Those are the nutrients I am running with the addition of their Fade.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Jerry your plants are still looking good friend. There are a lot of possible causes for tip yellowing or bronzing. Knowing what the issue is can be very valuable information to know in the future.

Do a pour thur catch the runoff and test it. If the pH is drifting higher like Tanzan says, the test results will show it. If the EC is climbing higher due to accumulation or in decline because of washout, testing the run off will always tell you. I agree it looks like pH issue however without a test no one will know.

jackspratt61

Thanks much Zeta. I was feeding per Athena's schedule and per instructions, at week 6 I switched out their Core with Fade so as to avoid excess N as I move through late flower. However, you could be on point and my soil may have built up an excess over time. I'm not overly concerned as they look good otherwise and have stacked nicely but maybe this is a good sign I can stop feeding them. Appreciate your take on this
Next time use less CORE but maintain same ec in feed.

Latest posts

Latest posts