What's new

Yeast As A Biofertilizer

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I was just reading about Canna Boost Accellerator, and it turns out that some of the nutrients in there are yeast/a by-product of yeast. So I went looking into the uses of yeast as a plant food or to produce plant food.

Yeast as a biofertilizer alters plant growth and morphology

The addition of live or dead yeast to fertilized soil substantially increased the nitrogen (N) and phosphorus (P) content of roots and shoots of tomato (Solanum lycopersicum) and young sugarcane plants. Yeast addition to soil also increased the root-to-shoot ratio in both species and induced species-specific morphological changes that included increased tillering in sugarcane and greater shoot biomass in tomato plants. These findings support the notion that brewers' yeast is a cost-effective biofertilizer that improves not only plant nutrition but also plant vigor during the early growth phase. It remains to be established which yeast-derived substances trigger the observed plant growth effects, and how rhizophagy contributes to plant nutrient acquisition.​

Last edited:

Three Berries

I was adding molasses to my filtered but unpurified rain water and it must have yeast in it as it ferments. I discovered this as the pH kept dropping along with the tiny bubbles forming.

I wonder if adding yeast to the soil will help keep pH down due to too high or pH from carbonates? And allow utilizing the Ca and Mg tied up in the carbonates.

My well water is hard and has plenty of Ca that ends up fouling the works. But I'm still deficient on the Ca and Mg during stretch and afterwards and have to supplement..

TedTheMechanic

I was adding molasses to my filtered but unpurified rain water and it must have yeast in it as it ferments. I discovered this as the pH kept dropping along with the tiny bubbles forming.

I wonder if adding yeast to the soil will help keep pH down due to too high or pH from carbonates? And allow utilizing the Ca and Mg tied up in the carbonates.

My well water is hard and has plenty of Ca that ends up fouling the works. But I'm still deficient on the Ca and Mg during stretch and afterwards and have to supplement..
Lactic acid bacteria should do that

Latest posts

Latest posts