What's new

WTF with seedlings in coco

S

sm0k4

Seedlings seem to be the trickiest learning curve in coco. Once there are roots, it really is hard to screw up the grow unless you don't watch your input pH or runoff EC.

G

Guywithoutajeep

You're not the first person to have seedlings die in coco and you won't be the last. People have trouble with clones too. I'd do rock wool cubes maybe. Sorry about losing the haze.

Jedi

"Madam, Miss Otis regrets, she's unable to lunch t
ICMag Donor
OK fellas , i made a few observations the last 10 days or so regarding planting seeds in coco.
i,ve germinated about 40-50 seeds(loose test seeds) the last two weeks, trail and error witha few coco methods.
Buggerd a few and have slow development with some.

My suggestions.. EC and PH have to be SPOT ON ! (I,ll gladly try other ec/ph levels if recommended)

DO FLUSH !!!! Twice if necessary and squeeze coco between rinse !
DO A NUTE CHARGE with last rinse! i,m at 0.2 ec (next batch i,ll raise the strength )
ADJUST PH !! i,m currently @ 6.0 ph (perhaps i,ll lower it a tad).

I pre-mix last water flush with correct ec/ph , Rinse and keep the rest ot the mixed water for misting and fist week of feeding.
Squeeze out as much water possible , plant seeds !!!!! and do a light mist.
Cover seedlings. (EDIT) untill they have cracked the surface , too much humidity will cause stems to go soft and rot...
Temp +- 80f/28c

Some ppl get a good grow without above methods .
To me it all adds up ; the closer within the parameters , the better results .

While we @ how to charge coco before planting.!

Gathering the effects on seedlings , my guess is those EC/PH will also play a role in cuttings..
First batch cuttings almost made it , perhaps i will get it right with the charged coco this time !!

slowandeasy

Veteran
Your seedling doesn't need feeding for a week or two>

Dude, stop giving out bad info. Don't feed your seedlings for a week or 2 in Coco? If you do not feed your seedlings in Coco, they will not do well. I pre-charge my Coco with half strength nutes. Use VERY small cups, cut down. The best way to start seedlings in Coco is to have the Coco just damp, not WET! With less Coco, the roots will fill the cup faster. For optimal seedling growth, you want your roots to SEEK moisture. For this reason, I highly recommend bottom feeding until your Root system is good. My seedlings are fed full strength nutes (1.4 EC within 7-10 days)...and flourish!!

Starting seeds in Coco is so easy, but many people have an over-watering problem. Trust me, keep it moist only...you will have much better luck.

slowandeasy

Veteran
OK fellas , i made a few observations the last 10 days or so regarding planting seeds in coco.
i,ve germinated about 40-50 seeds(loose test seeds) the last two weeks, trail and error witha few coco methods.
Buggerd a few and have slow development with some.

My suggestions.. EC and PH have to be SPOT ON ! (I,ll gladly try other ec/ph levels if recommended)

DO FLUSH !!!! Twice if necessary and squeeze coco between rinse !
Do a Nute charge with last rinse! i,m at 0.2 ec (next batch i,ll raise the strength )
Adjust PH !! i,m currently @ 6.0 ph (perhaps i,ll lower it a tad).
Squeeze out as much water possible and do a light mist.
Cover seedlings.
Temp +- 80f/28c

Some ppl get a good grow without above methods .
To me it all adds up ; the closer within the parameters , the better results .

While we @ how to charge coco before planting.!

Gathering the effects on seedlings , my guess is those EC/PH will also play a role in cuttings..
First batch cuttings almost made it , perhaps i will get it right with the charged coco this time !!

Do not cover your seedlings, this can cause damping off!!! Bad idea. Mist your seedling??? why? you are doing things that can kill your babies!!!
If you are using Canna Coco, you can pre-charge with higher nutes. I would put money on it that every single one of you who is having a problem is over watering your Coco. I get roots in 6 days on all of my clones, and my seedlings thrive from day 1. Trust me, when starting seedlings or clones...MOIST, not wet. That means you have to physically SQUEEZE the moisture out of the Coco. Do not water your seedlings or clones until they need to be watered, and then do it lightly and from the bottom.

I use Clear cups, with a cover cup, to start seedlings and Clones. Moisture levels at these stages are very important. If you keep too wet, it will slow the whole process down or even cause failure.

Jedi

"Madam, Miss Otis regrets, she's unable to lunch t
ICMag Donor
Do not cover your seedlings, this can cause damping off!!! Bad idea. Mist your seedling??? why?

Because it works for me and i have tried uncovered .
Damp loose and as loose fluffy possible, cover !

MOIST, not wet. That means you have to physically SQUEEZE the moisture out of the Coco.

I totaly agree :tiphat:

Looks like its a trade off.

Moist and uncovered
or Damp and covered

S

sm0k4

To sum up the whole thread:

1. Depending on what coco you have, charge it with weak nutes on by soaking in 5.8 pH .3 EC strength nute water. You only need to rinse until your runoff EC is very low, then charge with nutes. Squeeze out all of the water when done. If your coco is already rinsed and your runoff is already near 0 EC, just give it a bath in some nutrient solution and squeeze out all the water.

2. Plant seed and keep soil moist. Do not oversaturate or roots will stagger and not grow well.

3. To drive it home, MOIST soil, not soaking wet 24/7. Sometimes I waited three days to wet my seedling cups. When I watered it was not in the center but on the edges of the cup. The water will wick in towards the middle without drowning the roots.

After a successful few seedlings, its easy. Get the pre-rinsed coco bags (not bricks) to make it easy on you. My bag of Botanicare only needs a nute bath for 15 minutes because there are hardly any nutes in it. It is always good to charge the coco before planting anything in it. The coco really soaks up the calcium and if there isn't enough in there to start with, the coco can take it away from the plants and all sorts of hell breaks loose.

slowandeasy

Veteran
Because it works for me and i have tried uncovered .
Damp loose and as loose fluffy possible, cover !

I totaly agree :tiphat:

Looks like its a trade off.

Moist and uncovered
or Damp and covered

Obviously what you are doing is not working, if you are losing seedlings and cannot get a clone to root. Take my advice, read my cloning thread that I started. It will get you straight. I am not ragging on your method, but I have a lot more experience cloning and starting seeds than you. If you want roots on clones in a week everytime, and seedlings to flourish...give it a read...or learn the hard way by losing more plants. Atleast you know that the Coco should be just MOIST. I do not agree with covering your seedlings, but if it works for you...cool. Clones on the other hand, often need to be covered to prevent wilting the first few days. Good luck!!

T

Tr33

they don't seem to die of overwatering, they just dry. The stem dries the cotyledons are OK though. The temp is 23°C. Could it be a salt problem, i mean does the coco need to be flushed with plain water ?

What you jst described is called "Damping Off"

I've had the same thing happen with coco, it's to wet and to cold, and your lights are not close enough so your seedlings stretch and then die.
You packed the coco to tight.

abuldur

Hi started about 30 seeds critical mass and durban poison in coco with no problems.
I have been feeding from day one with a little nuts ec 0,8 and i do foliar feed them with micronised calcium.
I also like them to be fairly close to the lamp with a gentle breeze constantly blowing .

peace