What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

WTF is this kind off a BUG ???

Xhashish

Veteran
Weirdly it looks like a termite to me, never heard of them eating mj but it is a woody plant

http://bugguide.net/node/view/234631/bgpage

///EDIT/// you can register at the site above and upload a pic to be identified

I actually think you rigth about it being termites, been looking at some pictures now, and they looks almost 100 % identical !!
but still pretty weird that they eating the plants......

you might want to use the image of one on skin rather than the ones on ganja leaves.
I though about that already when he suggested that (-; :)

Here som pics of termites -

talktosamson

Veteran
Hey cana, I was looking at your aig, can you PM me where you got your NL #5 from. I have been searching for this strain for a long time, and I can only find it in a cross, never pure NL #5.

grapeman

Veteran
Too big to be thrips. As crazy as it sounds, they look like some sort of termite. Can't be true could it?

Opps, see someone already beat me to the punch.

Last edited:
C

CANNATOPIA

no way ! I thought that right away but thought I would be considered dumb for even thinking it.lol It sure does look like those ugly bastards!

nomaad

Veteran
I would have hit it with Azatrol, Spinosad and treated my soil with predator nematodes and BT by now. Can't hurt. I am a preemptive warrior when it comes to the bugs.

localhero

maybe its some type of thrip family insect that doesnt eat under the leaf? its not sucking sap, its actually chewing on the leaves like a caterpillar? i second the spinosad approach.

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
i dont think its a termite... from the pics the termite antenna's are too long for the bugs shown in the infestation....

they look like a gigantic thrip....

termites i do believe are generally pretty small themselves....

Fingaz2

Hmmm, Interesting, cant put a name to these, but I'm wondering if they are not Melon Thrips, Thrips Palmi. Here in UK they are a notifiable crop pest. Please get some sent to the Lab, I would be most interested to find out what these are. Good luck M8. Second guess would be ant/termite type, but I think you got something unusual there.

Xhashish

Veteran
Just spoked with the Agricultural Sciences , and apparently they are closed down, so no information there, but the guy at the phone could connect me to a Pest Infestation Laboratory, i spoked with a man there, he tould me that i have to bring him some of the bugs, because i send him a mail with some pics, but he couldnt really see it, needed much closer pic... but his guess would be some sort of thrips , cause just here in denmark we have about 100 different types of thrips.. and on the info i gave to him, not about the MJ , but that they eating plants, he was almost sure about it wasnt termites, cause they need much more warm conditions to survive.. but now only problem is that this Lab is pretty far away from me, so im thinking a little about capture some in a little plastic container , and then send it with the mailman ..

Fingaz2

After you got a sample off, I would nuke them. Try a pyrethoid insect killer, something like cypermethrin, its short lasting about 2 weeks, but will kill them. Look at aphid (greenfly/blackfly) sprays in garden centre. Sold for roses. Thrips can spread viruses & fungal infection to your plants. There are biological control methods like predators but may be more difficult outside. Most thrips in northern europe are black, here we call them Thunderbugs, they make you itch like crazy. Usually appear in August when the corn is ripening, but are mainly harmless. Those little sods are feeding fast, and if they get in the growing tips it will be a problem, so I would get rid of them. Dont overdo it with the spray, it dont take much to knock them down. Good luck.

C

CANNATOPIA

So they very well may be some sort of Thrip wow Good ta know & I cant wait ta see the Lab Results ;)

C

CANNATOPIA

here is what The Medical Growers Bible says to use ta get rid of them safely.
Sprays, Homemade spray such as Tobacco nicotine base, Commercial pyrethrum,
Synthetic pyrethrum & Insecticidal soap.
also states that if not too many of them, manualy removing the pests will work too :)

Xhashish

Veteran
Little update

Fortanely for me those crazy small bugs disapeared after raining, and havent been here for 4-5 days now... but unfortanely for well, also me a little, but also rest of you , is that we proberly dont get to know what those bugs was...
but in all they seem to move pretty fast away from the MJ plants, have looked tru the whole garden to see if i could spot any, some other places, but all of a sudden they seems to be gone...

So crossing fingers that they dont come back. but will keep it open , if the trouble should return... And if it happens I will try capture all those i can this time, but the trouble is to get them to the Lab. cause it's pretty far away from me...
Like you Texastoker, Im also really confused about this bug.. have no clues either...

DK2670_01

du kan ALTID sende dem til "Skadedyrslaboratoriumet" der skal bare være et frankeret svarkuvert :D

Sådan fandt jeg ud af at det var Mel-møl jeg havde i køkkenet *GG*

Sorry the dannish all ;) but it should be free :D