What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

would you donate a part of your liver to a friend

al70

Veteran
if i have something that someone needs and i don't need it they can have it, i doubt after i die that my viable organs are going to go to a bad person, if i can provide a sick person while i'm alive with an organ, i need to know that they are worthy of it, that's just me, al

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

VLFqlqK.jpg

White Beard

All the friends I’d do that for are already dead. The family I’d’ve done that for don’t talk to me.

I had a dear friend who drank her liver to death...and never admitted it to herself; from brilliant to delusional in one, looong tumble....

W

Water-

thanks again for all the people that offered kind hearted advice.

peace

Brother Nature

I gave a part of my liver to my Uncle who was dying from Cirrhosis. This was not due to alcoholism, but to a few years of heroin abuse in the early 70's (he has been clean since, hardly drank) which lead to Hep C which he didn't know he had until well into his 30's. Personally I did it because I was the only match in our family and I felt that sometimes family is all you have so I put my hand up. It was a serious surgery, pretty risky, but I managed to get through it OK. It took a lot more out of me than I thought and I wouldn't recommend doing it unless you absolutely love this person. After about a year, his body started to reject the new liver and he was lucky to be put on an experimental drug trial which thankfully did actually fix him up, took another 2 years though. I don't regret it, but I was also very healthy and fit as well as in my early 20's when it happened and it still took a lot out of me. I would do it again for someone I love, but I'd have to really want them to live.

Spaventa

Veteran
Family and loved ones? That’s a completely different question to the thread title. Of course it’s a yes.

Dog Star

Veteran
Now i read that liver is only organ that can be growed even if 75% is missing..

didnt know that partial transplant can work.. ehh.. learned something new..

Mine apology for thinking that liver can only be hole transplanted..

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello yall...

Alcoholics that continue to drink are not eligible for any sort of transplant.
A patient must be proactive with their health in order to be eligible.
All the comments of "gotta be clean" and "screw 'em if they're not" are completely unnecessary due to transplant eligibility criteria.

To answer the question though...
I'm not sure if I would do something of the sort or not. Going under the knife is potentially life threatening whether donating or receiving a donation. I'm not sure I could handle being laid up for a few weeks while I heal.
In order to answer the question honestly, I would have to be put in the position where I was asked to donate.

Latest posts

Latest posts