What's new

Would this work?

G

I don't want to have two inline fans running - one to cool the lamp and the other to cool the room. Could I just attach one inline fan via flex duct to one end of the lamp and leave the other end open? That way the fan would suck the hot air out of both the lamp and the room up into the attic. My room is 3x4. Of course I would have a couple of vents in the room too.

Last edited:

blackfin

what size fan are you using and how tall is the room... a lot of people use just one fan... i did it a year before last

G

400 watts

EDIT: Whoo hoo! I think that makes you a capo or something

:woohoo:

Last edited:
S

stretchpuppy

Yes it will work in general, but I don't know if it will be perfect for your setup. A 400w in that size room, ventilated, shouldn't create heat problems. Try it and monitor temps.

Last edited:

blackfin

are you in a hot part of the contry... at the rate of your fan you'll be exausting the room 1.77 times per miniute... now that's without airflow restriction... what type of fan is it... is it a suncourt 6in... this sounds like my first set-up... i had a 6" suncourt exausting a 400w MH and a 2*3*8' rm the temp got to around 85 in the peak of the day cycle... the only thing is that you have 48 cubic feet more than i did...

what type of reflector do you have, and is that an HPS light

G

It's usually cool or cold here. The two months it is hot I will not grow. I'm using 4 inch ducts. If I could get away with no vents that would be ideal but I assumed that was not possible.

I have a 400W HPS Super Sun System 1 and the following fan:

Eco-Plus Series -4" Inline Fan
These very high output fans feature external rotor motorized impellers for maximum efficiency with heavy duty powder coated steel housings for long life. Brackets are already attached for easy wall or ceiling mounting, as well as pre-wired with a 120 V power cord.

I'm not planning to use mylar because it is painted flat white in there.

blackfin

strech is right it will work... just monitor the temps and have a ossilating fan blowing over the tops.... and it's a good idea to start with soil because it can take higher temps

good luck bro... it will work... just save your money and invest in a bigger fan to get ready for the summer... all growers start off small

you sound like your right down the street from me, only get 2 months of summer here too... and even then it tops out at 85

flat white is just fine that's what i do

G

A couple of caveats - you will end up with dust & garden miscellany on your bulb & lamp glass unless you filter the air intake.

That fan probably isn't strong enough to exhaust 96 cubic feet effectively, especially if it's just one of the in-line vent fans sold at hardware stores. You need a fan that will exhaust the room at least 3-4 times a minute (ideally about 7 times a minute) which means you need a fan at least 300cfm and ideally about 700cfm. Partially the fan requirement depends on your air intake source - are you bringing in outside air (less ventilation needs in the winter & more in the summer), household air, or what? What is the temp of the air coming in to the garden?

Flexible ducting will rob your fan of 25-50% of its effective throughput because the air doesn't flow straight and the sides of the ducting are not smooth so there is drag on the air. The more curves & turns in the ducting, the more air flow will be lost.

Will you be using a carbon filter for odor control? Those also reduce the fan's efficiency because of drag.

G

Yes I have a carbon filter but it's on the output side of the fan (maybe it always is and that doesn't make a difference).

The vents are indoors so it's going to be room temperature air coming through. I'd guess that's about 70 degrees.

I can easily use straight ducts. That's not a problem. Gotcha on the filter for the lamp intake issue. I'll have to figure something that filters particles but allows good airflow.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
even a piece of ladies stocking secured over the intake end for the the ventilation would filter out a lot of particles but probably not dust....