What's new

would i need d. lime with this soil combo?

gregor_mendel

I am not an expert in organics, but I understand that worm castings have a neutral pH. I would skip the lime.

That mix will work, but you will get better growth rates at 40-60% perlite, and split the other two up how you like, or skip vermiculite altogether.

GM

bostrom155

Yea I dont think you need that much V, and as gm said more perlite, but others with more knowledge will follow

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
I disagree...but you know I love you guys :respect:
Vermiculite will help retain moisture in that mix, 60% perlite will only lead to a mix that will dry out too fast whcih will not benefit the plants, the Verm. will replace the moisture retaining of the peat.
I would skip the dolomite lime because the mix is relatively inert compared to a peat based mix, peat being acidic, just make sure to keep you nutes relatively ph adjusted.
Just make sure you have a source of calcium and magnesium to feed them to replace the dolomite lime.

Sub's

PS the proportions look bang on to me

G

I would say 1 Tbs per Gal which is what I would add of blood and Kelp also. 2 Tbs of Bone. Got any greensand?

Cheers,

Opt1983

I would not go with anymore then 30% perlite.... yes..u want good drainage and air to the roots..but with anymore than 30% your medium is gonna dry out way to quickly. If it was me..i would leave out the epsom salt from the actual medium, and dilute it in a gallon of water when u feel it's needed , but thats just me. -Opt

G

Lo Pan said:
no greensand...

how much epsom salt (for mg source) should i add to my mix per gal? anyone?

My previous post answered this. 1Tbs /Gal of soil if you mix in previous to planting. Otherwise you can dissolve a tsp in a Gal of warm water and add it to your feed solution. It's pretty hard to over feed epsom salts. I have used as much as 1 Tbs /Gal of water with every feeding through the life of a plant with no problems.

Cheers,

G

^sorry....i misread your post from earlier...

i appreciate it guys... :wave: