What's new

Worthwhile additives for smell\flavor?

I currently grow my medicine using hempy buckets + maxibloom @ 1tsp\gal until the last two weeks of flower when I flush heavily. This gives me what I consider very good results, but I've noticed that the same cut grown by different people will often taste different and smell different, and since I'm using such a basic setup, I'm wondering what worthwhile additives I might be missing out on? Specifically things that enhance or otherwise intensify the smell and flavor of the plant, yeild I'm not too concerned with because I only grow for my personal medical needs.

I say "worthwhile" additives only because I know there are a billion out there, and I'm sure many of them are pure hype.

northstate

ICMag Donor
Additives

Additives

I like molasses in flower, good and cheap. Have also used Sea Green but like superman says "go organic" that is where the flavor is. Try an organic soil plant next to your hempys of the same cut and see what the hype is all about. NS

supermanlives

Veteran
when i used chems. i tried adding all kinds of crap trying to make my weed better. when i went organic i got what i was looking for. to each their own . the guanos,castings,molassis ect definately make me happy.

Homebrewer

Veteran
I currently grow my medicine using hempy buckets + maxibloom @ 1tsp\gal until the last two weeks of flower when I flush heavily. This gives me what I consider very good results, but I've noticed that the same cut grown by different people will often taste different and smell different, and since I'm using such a basic setup, I'm wondering what worthwhile additives I might be missing out on? Specifically things that enhance or otherwise intensify the smell and flavor of the plant, yeild I'm not too concerned with because I only grow for my personal medical needs.

I say "worthwhile" additives only because I know there are a billion out there, and I'm sure many of them are pure hype.

IME, properly grown cannabis should reek but the intensity of the aroma seems to be more genetic than anything. Some strains just don't have a strong odor.

Lets say you're dealing with an aromatic strain, I've found that poorly grown cannabis is not as fragrant as properly grown cannabis. 'Poorly grown' could be traced back to a sub par environment, bad feeding practices, pests, etc.

If you're dealing with an aromatic strain, your two week flush isn't an ideal scenario for your plant, especially in hempy. Instead of 'flushing', try meeting the nutritional needs of your plant until harvest day.

As far as additives go, I prefer fulvic/humic/sea kelp type additives and found that GH's Floralicious plus at 1ml/gallon definitely improves aroma and flavor.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Molasses..But I dont know so much about indoors.
And more importantly to add flavors for your simple system a blended product or each together of humic acid/ humates and fulvic acid/ fulvates. Also add 1g/l mono potassium phosphate if you can get and 2g/l epsom salts for finishing and at least a week of just topping up with water to flush. Basically what homebrewer and superman said..

T

TribalSeeds

You didnt mention once in your OP about curing!
If someone handed you the greatest herb ever grown, would you be able to end up with decent smell or taste? Most of that is genetics and cure.
Most additives will probably have more of a negative effect on taste and smell.
Koolbloom is the shizzle for bursting your buds open

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
That smell that you want is a Terpene, these are Genetic and change in ratio through the plants life cycle. I ended up reading about Terpenes when I got a wiff of a Vegging KK x Sknk13 and I stopped dead in my tracks and was instantly entranced by its heady smell, like it felt heavy in my nose. All you can do is optimize your plants conditions, dial it in with some good organics and your Pheno type will express itself as best as it can. Here is a really great blog link everyone should read.

http://berkeleypatientscare.com/2010/10/08/terpenes-terpenoids-and-cannabis/

PeopleWish

IME, properly grown cannabis should reek but the intensity of the aroma seems to be more genetic than anything. Some strains just don't have a strong odor.

Lets say you're dealing with an aromatic strain, I've found that poorly grown cannabis is not as fragrant as properly grown cannabis. 'Poorly grown' could be traced back to a sub par environment, bad feeding practices, pests, etc.

If you're dealing with an aromatic strain, your two week flush isn't an ideal scenario for your plant, especially in hempy. Instead of 'flushing', try meeting the nutritional needs of your plant until harvest day.

As far as additives go, I prefer fulvic/humic/sea kelp type additives and found that GH's Floralicious plus at 1ml/gallon definitely improves aroma and flavor.

This ^

Lowman

I would be very cautious adding any sugar based product to your hempy. Sugar in a passive rez can create problems in the rez. Just my observation.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
go organic

Yes. Exactly.

And it amazes me how many growers have never used DIRT...ya know earth ie soil.

I've used soilless mixes with same nutrients as ones containing soil - soil, oddly enough, what plants natively grow in....gives me my best results in regards to terepene profiles.

Go full organic soil and you'll start finding nuances on flavor and smell you never knew existed...

dank.Frank

I second bud candy, if you just want to add something to enhance the smell/taste. But the other posters have very valid points about organics and keeping your plants happy and curing. All of those will help.

Grizz

Veteran
Yes. Exactly.

And it amazes me how many growers have never used DIRT...ya know earth ie soil.

I've used soilless mixes with same nutrients as ones containing soil - soil, oddly enough, what plants natively grow in....gives me my best results in regards to terepene profiles.

Go full organic soil and you'll start finding nuances on flavor and smell you never knew existed...

dank.Frank
frank you just a damn dirt freak, admit it. lol. cant argue though, if i had the space and time to rebuild soil i would, coco just works and is easy to strain and reuse,$$$ . you know my game

Latest posts

Latest posts