What's new

Worming 101

h.h.

Veteran
It's so cool to be in the future and say WTF, lol!

fellow needs to let a little more O2 in his bag... ok, a lot more!

I wanna go back to the 60's and try to figure out WTF happened.
picture.php

T

Teddybrae

I keep a layer of mulch on top of my gardens that the worms can crawl up into, above any excess water. The drainage in my gardens is so good that no water collects anyway.

How do I keep my babies from crawling out and dieing every heavy watering?

Swellness

Swellness

I keep a layer of mulch on top of my gardens that the worms can crawl up into, above any excess water. The drainage in my gardens is so good that no water collects anyway.

Nature once again in its endless wisdom and forthsight *newword :dance013:
Has expelled my cranium with the idea that dried grass mulch
Does the trick...

So if we learn from nature ...

T

Teddybrae

Thought: what would I do if I was a worm and a cloudburst came? So that's 'wormsight'!

I 'm using forest leaves which won't mat ... or glue together. Watch out for matting or getting an impervious 'skin' on top of grass mulch.

Also, I had to put wire mesh frames over the top of my gardens to prevent birds eating the worms.

Good luck!

Nature once again in its endless wisdom and forthsight *newword :dance013:
Has expelled my cranium with the idea that dried grass mulch
Does the trick...

So if we learn from nature ...

Thought: what would I do if I was a worm and a cloudburst came? So that's 'wormsight'!

I 'm using forest leaves which won't mat ... or glue together. Watch out for matting or getting an impervious 'skin' on top of grass mulch.

Also, I had to put wire mesh frames over the top of my gardens to prevent birds eating the worms.

Good luck!

:tiphat:

Not to mention the microbioligy :thank you::bis::tree:

PCBuds

Worms need to breathe.

They should only seek a new home if they're drowning. (or they're not being fed enough at home.. or they're horny and looking for some action)

Veggia farmer

I wonder does anyone use their cannabis left over in the worm bin and than again use that wormcasting on cannabis plants?

I want to feed the worm with it soo... could also go in the veggies but I would like otherwise...

Anyone tried to get the casting in hot composting after turned to worm casting? Lets say you make wormcasting and in the end make a pile or whatever with chicken manure? Got chickens...

lazylathe

I wonder does anyone use their cannabis left over in the worm bin and than again use that wormcasting on cannabis plants?

I want to feed the worm with it soo... could also go in the veggies but I would like otherwise...

Anyone tried to get the casting in hot composting after turned to worm casting? Lets say you make wormcasting and in the end make a pile or whatever with chicken manure? Got chickens...

Whenever I am in the room trimming leaves to open up more bud sites to light, I keep the leaves.
In the kitchen I use my food processor and break them all down, then I do some carrots and any other vegetables and fruit around.
They love this mix and I feed it to the worms in my pots growing the great herb as well!
It's a full life cycle!
:dance013:
20200718-204113.jpg

Siskiyou

Veteran
I have been putting all my healthy trimmings into my worm bin for several years and then using the castings with no signs of a problem. If I had material from a diseased plant, it wouldn't go into the worm bin in the first place and would be trashed.

Sunshineinabag

I did lasagna type layers in my bins at my last place...I've been lazy this year but red Wiggler's are truly my fave to work with. Rule of thumb for me as of late...5-10 nightcrawlers in my 10 gal containers for growing...reds for all table scraps that aren't detrimental to their well being and environment

lazylathe

thats more or less what I want to do myself. just a little bit afraid of diseases.

Keeping a clean grow room and the area surrounding your grow super clean is very important!
Don't bring in outside plants into your grow room, ever...

Hopefully if you have a diseased plant that bad, you will just remove it and discard the whole plant.
I would not eat of moldy hamburger if I didn't have to. LOL!

My worm bin has been going for 2 years now without any issues.
When a grow is complete, I clean the soil and put it back in the worm bin, break up the roots and add them to the bin as well.

Leave it for a few weeks but check it regularly to see when the worms have made it to the top. Feed them and they will go about their underground business as normal!

I harvest them every now and then during the summer and add them to the gardens outside.

I thought it would be difficult as well but having so many worm friends is always fun! And this organic growing is going great!

This is one of my Barney's Farm Pink Kush. Check out the trichomes on the FAN leaf!!!

20200723-191627.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts