What's new

Worming 101

Skinny Leaf

Veteran
Pics of my worm bin. I started with 5 pounds of worms. I have worms everywhere now and need to get another trough. I have 1/4" wire mesh above the bottom of the trough for air flow and collection of leachate. My worms favorite food is pineapple. They love when I cut a pinapple in halves and put it in the bin. The pinapples are gone within days. Rind and all.

Skinny Leaf

Veteran
Here are some pics of my ghetto vermicompost harvester and some vermicompost. I usually only do half the bin at any time. It takes some time and its a fairly good workout. Half the bin gets me between 30-45 pounds of vermicompost about every two months. I'll add the vermicompost to my compost pile for a healthy dose of small worms and worm eggs.

I looked in the bin yesterday and since the weather has warmed up there is a massive worm orgy going on.

socaldodger

I was building 2 hybrid worm farms from a tutorial that I came across on YouTube. However midway I decided I wanted a 3 tray worm bin. Can you guys give me your honest opinions on it so far? I have multiple lids/bins so I could redo anything.

I think I might have drilled to many holes on the lid. Lol got a little carried away.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 23

socaldodger

Here's the middle bin for the worm castings. It has holes around the edges for the worm tea collection bin underneath.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 20

socaldodger

How could I post multiple pictures? Also why can't I edit my posts?

Here's the third bin. Worm tea collection. I still need to add a spigot. I'll be using some cinder blocks or something to give about 8 inches of space between the bins.

Should I drill holes along the side? If so what size do you guys recommend? 1/8?

I need to finish this in the next day as I have 5K worms coming in. Any tips, advice and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 21

Granger2

Veteran
The more holes the better. All surfaces. Not to the point of weakening the structure of the bins. 1/8 or 3/16. Good luck. -granger

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I got my wormfarm in the divorce... it took quite a hit during trout season...now they get to relax lol...worm factory 3 bin upward migration setup....yeehaw

socaldodger

Thanks for the replies. I just picked up a trash bag full of coffee grounds from my local starbucks. What's the best way to store this? It's too much. Should i dry them first before putting some in the worm bin?

I have lots of egg cartons. I'll be getting some lettuce and banana peels today as well from some local restaurant. What else do you guys recommend? My worms arrive tomorrow. I just don't want to kill them. I'm trying to get the best castings possible. I don't mind only feeding them certain things. Whatever will be the best. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

socaldodger

This is how it'll look. I put a Kerr jar in all 4 corners of the 2nd bin to give it some space. Is the top bin sitting to high? Let me know your thoughts guys. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Latest posts