What's new

World's Oceans In 'shocking' decline

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
I'm not a laissez-faire free marketeer. I don't necessarily miss points I disagree. Free market theory is only as good as the enforcement of regulations that govern it. Anything less is a just free joint to rip off.

Why don't you advocate that all crime will stop if cops just get out of the way? :D

genkisan

Cannabrex Formulator
Veteran
Write a book or something already. Maybe you can get algore to write the forward. I feel bad for your kids. Your religion is something they should acquire on their own and not be force fed down their throats.

Phfft.

It's not a religion....it's merely a sustainable way of life. And I am not "force feeding it down their throats".....I am teaching them how to be self-sufficient, responsible and respectful towards the planet and the future generations who we are borrowing said planet from.

The only true way to change things is to raise kids who live along a different, non-malignant and sustainable paradigm, and that's what I am trying to do.....not indoctrinate my kids into a "religion"........dunno where you got that one.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Ironic how conservatives even manage their moniker.

Conserve may ass, bring on pollution, guns, oil, coal and anything nasty in apocalyptic proportions, JUST DON'T CONSERVE IT.:)

budlover123

The question is what does sustainable mean to you then?

Is sustainable the idea that we are civilized and blessed by god and given everything we could possibly need from the earth as long as we strive to sustain the precious systems in which we are allowed to live?

That's what I think of as sustainable, the way unregulated business destroys ecosystems that people live in and so on is the opposite of sustainable, I fear that too many wish to sustain a corporations right to destroy what rightfully belongs to all of us, like the oceans for example, or maybe I should say things like the ocean that rightfully doesn't belong to anybody.

btw, corporations destroying peoples ecosystems real bad, not just happening in Africa anymore. Take a look into protests in Pennsylvania about what fracking (hydraulic fracturing) has been doing to the water supply.

attachment.php

shit getting real...
http://www.marcellusprotest.org/

Attachments

• drinkmoney.JPG
    drinkmoney.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 8

grapeman

Veteran
I'm not a laissez-faire free marketeer.

Why don't you advocate that all crime will stop if cops just get out of the way? :D

so you are NOT a free market guy. but your analogy above is fatally flawed (yet astonishingly, you have an idiot that gives you "rep" - LOL).

Don't start with crime if you don't understand "free markets". You would never understand my stance on gun ownership.

whodare

Veteran
free market = wild west

grape do you really expect a corporation whose sole purpose is to generate profit really to care how it generates said profit...

there is a reason we have checks and balances in government, when men hide behind institutions they dont have to have a conscience about the institutions actions...

sensible regulation to protect people from being taken advantage of is totally necessary.

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
Here's hoping Genkisan's smug doesn't merge with George Clooney's smug and create another perfect storm of smugness.

How do those farts smell, buddy?

joeuser

The question is what does sustainable mean to you then?

Is sustainable the idea that we are civilized and blessed by god and given everything we could possibly need from the earth as long as we strive to sustain the precious systems in which we are allowed to live?

That's what I think of as sustainable, the way unregulated business destroys ecosystems that people live in and so on is the opposite of sustainable, I fear that too many wish to sustain a corporations right to destroy what rightfully belongs to all of us, like the oceans for example, or maybe I should say things like the ocean that rightfully doesn't belong to anybody.

btw, corporations destroying peoples ecosystems real bad, not just happening in Africa anymore. Take a look into protests in Pennsylvania about what fracking (hydraulic fracturing) has been doing to the water supply.

shit getting real...
http://www.marcellusprotest.org/

You can't have a population that is large AND have sustainable practices. When you plant crops...you destroy an ecosystem. Only hunter gatherers are sustainable. I'm sorry...you're on your own.

free market = wild west

grape do you really expect a corporation whose sole purpose is to generate profit really to care how it generates said profit...

there is a reason we have checks and balances in government, when men hide behind institutions they dont have to have a conscience about the institutions actions...

sensible regulation to protect people from being taken advantage of is totally necessary.

Free market doesn't mean the wild west. When you played with your friends...that was a free market. No rules, regulations, you still got along, worked together. Adults selling to each other via the classifieds is a free market...did you kill him and take the stuff to avoid payment? SOME people do and always will. You deal with them individually. Don't punish everyone for the actions of a few...that's what government and rules do.

Make CEO's responsible for what they approve...read my signature! If we HUNG the heads of Enron and Worldcom, AIG, the big banks...we MIGHT not have this problem today. The trouble is...ALL of government is infested with these people. The SCOTUS is a fucking joke it's SO obvious they're owned and paid for.

We need LESS bullshit regulation that gives breaks to the connected...and we need REAL punishment for those who rob the public blind!

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
You can't have a population that is large AND have sustainable practices. When you plant crops...you destroy an ecosystem. Only hunter gatherers are sustainable. I'm sorry...you're on your own.

Free market doesn't mean the wild west. When you played with your friends...that was a free market. No rules, regulations, you still got along, worked together.

That's only part of the story. Anybody that experiences childhood arguments, even fighting that solved nothing in regard to their respective rifts knows this. If you ever got your ass kicked, you'd now that some extend the opportunity to acknowledge, even rectify differences. Others might take advantage of the situation and yourself.

Adults selling to each other via the classifieds is a free market...did you kill him and take the stuff to avoid payment? SOME people do and always will. You deal with them individually. Don't punish everyone for the actions of a few...that's what government and rules do.
Maybe you don't regard disclaimers/TOU as legal regulation. However, many of these disclaimers warn of legal actions to the would-be fraudster/criminal.

Make CEO's responsible for what they approve...read my signature!
That's from a forward of a Wyoming corporate-assistance consortium. This comment was never implied by responsible regulations. Regulatory agencies never intended that fraud and crime constitute lawful bankruptcy (but the Wyoming consortium does.) They even conclude their forward with, "Imagine the possibilities."

If we HUNG the heads of Enron and Worldcom, AIG, the big banks...we MIGHT not have this problem today.
How would you do that w/o law aka regulation? Your Wild West comparison is very similar to laissez faire. Even free-marketeers face the inevitable fact that the regulation concept has to be broached. After that, you're differences of opinion on where to draw the line begin to blur.

The trouble is...ALL of government is infested with these people. The SCOTUS is a fucking joke it's SO obvious they're owned and paid for.

We need LESS bullshit regulation that gives breaks to the connected...and we need REAL punishment for those who rob the public blind!

I agree that all regulation isn't economically responsible. However, the large focus addresses degrees of transgression by spending even more to enforce. Making regulation rely on the economic factor alone might come up short when addressing, for example mob crimes. The corporate sector has real criminals that even enforcement doesn't necessarily recover all illegally gained monies. For example, Rick Scott was fined 1.7 billion for fraud that didn't necessarily address whether all fraud money was recuperated.

Interesting you label irresponsible tax-breaks as simply regulation. It lends the suggestion that regulation itself is less than ethical. Merely suggesting you'd hang the perps suggests you'd have to have the regulations in place to carry it out. Without laws in place, your next-door town might see you as a candidate for the gallows.

budlover123

You can't have a population that is large AND have sustainable practices. When you plant crops...you destroy an ecosystem. Only hunter gatherers are sustainable. I'm sorry...you're on your own...

can you please explain to me how this works then because I never hunted or gathered anything in my life, along with the other 99% of America

If American's don't hunt or gather, yet this is the only sustainable system, then how did us Americans get here?

besides, crop rotation is as old as dirt, the birds eat the bugs then shit them on the ground or something and sometime later it's ready for growing again.

how does growing food responsibly destroy an eco system, or are you saying that the only way there is enough food is to farm in a manner which destroys an ecosystem

farming in a manner that destroys an ecosystem isn't very sustainable.

And I'm not talking disrupting the natural habitat of the dung beetle, I'm talking not be able to grow on or live off of for a very long time

ie what the Shell corporation does in Africa

genkisan

Cannabrex Formulator
Veteran
Here's hoping Genkisan's smug doesn't merge with George Clooney's smug and create another perfect storm of smugness.

How do those farts smell, buddy?

Where do you get smug from my posts?

Rage, anger, frustration, contempt....those are obvious....but smug?

That's quite the bland emotion for such a vitally important topic.

BTW, them farts smell like cheddar cheese and hot sauce......

Latest posts

Latest posts