What's new

World Population Hits 7 Billion On October 31

NOOW

Wow, I recently read, the Earth can produce food for aproximately 10 billion people. We will have to revolutionize the way we produce food to prevent the food wars.
Hydroponic skyscrapers doesn't look like science fiction anymore.

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah, Add another 1 billion in 10 years. India is having a population explosion. They will overtake China as the most populous country soon.

Sooner rather than later the world will be looking at a shortage of food to feed everyone.

Wilson, a well known scientist said that humans are multiplying like germs not slow growth long lived mammals that we are.

R.Fortune

ajc0k

humans are like a virus.. we migrate, consume, wipe out, reproduce and take over everything. Well that's the general principle of organisms and species, That we produce more individuals than the environment can sustain.. Except we're provoking our own demise.

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
food wars wont happen...

water wars will solve the population crisis well before we all get hungry

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
I think you're right. Food takes water and so does everything else. We're looking at ~9 billion by 2050, hard to imagine what 2100 will look like if we even get that far.

Scary times.

whodare

Veteran
the man who invents a fast efficient mass quantity desalination technique will become richer than anyone in history...

he could lead the free world
3YafUwZBXU8irYkBcgPDQByPfMR.jpg

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
One could buy the largest fresh water aquifer in the western hemisphere, located in Paraguay. Oh yeah, Sun Myung Moon and Bushco already bought it. All 1.2 million acres.

In the 70s it was "Billy" beer. Pretty soon it'll be "W" for water. They'll be richer than anybody on the planet.

G

grozzef

trolling for depopulation propaganda, i'll play. if you think there is a population problem maybe you should be proactive about the situation and kill yourself.

whodare

Veteran
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/08/060828-guarani.html

Conspiracists Allege U.S. Seizing Vast S. American Rese
Kelly Hearn
for National Geographic News
August 28, 2006
Conspiracy theorists fear the United States is secretly taking control of South America's largest underground reservoir of fresh water.

The accusations are clouding international efforts to develop the Guaraní Aquifer. And the rumors come at a time when water may be joining oil as one of the world's most fought-over commodities.

Stretching beneath parts of Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, and Uruguay, the Guaraní Aquifer is an underground system of water-bearing rock layers covering 460,000 square miles (1.2 million square kilometers)—an area larger than Texas and California combined (map of South America).

The International Atomic Energy Agency says the Guaraní may be big enough to supply drinking water to 360 million people on a sustainable basis.

Already, some 500 cities and towns across Brazil tap the aquifer for drinking water. Officials worry that overuse and expanding agricultural activities are threatening the reservoir's future health.

Currently experts are studying the sandstone aquifer's structure and devising ways to sustainably develop and manage the cross-border resource for farming, drinking supplies, and geothermal energy.

The Global Environment Facility, a U.S.-based funding consortium managed by the United Nations and the World Bank, has put the equivalent of 13.5 million U.S. dollars into the project.

That funding plus contributions from national governments adds up to a total of 27 million dollars for the first phase of the Guaraní project, which began in 2003 and ends in 2009.

360 million supported annually sure they'd be rich, but theres already 7 billion people, and and the train is only speeding up...

W

wilbur

well I did my bit. five children, fourteen grandchildren and one great-grandchild ... so far.

when I think back it was fucking that did it. couldn't seem to stop.

all natural tho'. think of that! and nature will compensate the imbalance ... sooner than later.

live it while you can! CHEERS!

ZoSo

The problem is that child bearing is considered such a basic human right that no one will dare put regulations on it for possibly hundreds of years (well, except for them commy countries anyway).

Personally, I don't think it's too much to ask to force people to be in a good situation before they have kids (financially, mental health, etc). It is what's best for the kid afterall (and their kids). A big problem, though, is where you make the cutoff. You open up a huge can of worms.

Btw, this is coming from someone that holds human rights as the highest priority. The thing is that sometimes sacrifices have to be made for the common good. We as a species have all but snuffed out the concept of natural selection. That is why artificial measures will have to eventually be put in place for us to survive.

sweet-emotion

Veteran
earth will explode soon enough...I don't want to have children 'cause I'm afraid they will suffer some kind of massive destruction consecuences due to these kind of things

RetroGrow

Veteran
i dont get it

when there are too many rabbits , they kill off a bunch to bring balance

why canty we do the same with people??

I dont mean killing people , but i mean some kind of birth control to keep the earth in balance

the more people the shittier life is for everyone

max 3 billion is doable

Absolutely it's doable. We must incentivise women in third world countries not to have more than two children, by giving them food and educational credits so their children get fed and educated and sheltered, and credits for the mother's education. Basically we would be paying for their education which would break the cycle of poverty and ignorance. It beats the hell out of a world with billions of refugees and more mouths to feed in an ever shrinking environment.

B

bock, bock

hey man we need people to make our shoes and shirts and shit jeez...

nope, theres this thing called equilibrium, we just havent reached it yet, we have greater knowledge in nutrition, healthcare, and science than ever before and those things have helped to skew the balance of equilibrium in our favor, but i can assure you 1 person for every square meter will never happen we will reach the point of balance before then there are 148,940,000 km² of land it would take about 150 trillion people....

Thanks for this knowledge :)
I remember once thinking that all of the worlds population could quite comfortably have a rave party on a small island like Tasmania.
Tasmania is 68401000000 square meters.
So every person would have roughly a 9 square metre (3*3) area to move. :)

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Thanks for this knowledge :)
I remember once thinking that all of the worlds population could quite comfortably have a rave party on a small island like Tasmania.
Tasmania is 68401000000 square meters.
So every person would have roughly a 9 square metre (3*3) area to move. :)

We might not have a boat but we'd float enough shit to build an aircraft carrier.

Latest posts

Latest posts