What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Work in big cannabis grow

yujirecapo

Hi, first of all sorry if my english is bad :), Im from Japan and Ive been growing indoor for 3 years now and I studied a short career in the university called organic vegetal production. I was wondering where do I stand a chance to work in a big cannabis grow outdoors or in warehouses since I want learn about industrial size grows.

Thanks for your attention!!!

Hiya. I recommend you find a suitable warehouse and start your own big grow :)
Easier said than done but much better way to learn
Safety 1st & all that
:tiphat:
Sb

yujirecapo

Ye.. and what do I do with so much weed? grow room and warehouses are much different? If I get caught doing big op like that I will rot in prison for like 10 years :(

mack 10

Veteran
Then you will have to move to a more cannabis friendly place.
I would start in Colorado.
Or somewhere with a similar climate
(Bud wise)

When you ou find it, let me know.

Perpetual Nooch

Contact your local Yakuza crime boss. He will be able to help you get set up and also with the distribution of large quantities of weed.

Just joking. Don't do that.

SoaringHi

No need to go to prison, I would look at the legal recreational states for a job. There should be good opportunities here in Washington state for a guy with a degree. As a bonus there are lots of Japanese and Japanese Americans around these parts as well.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
right now in the states there are conferences happening where new mmj employment agencies are taking resumes and find placements.

In colorado you need a state license to work in a legal grow so it might be difficult for a Japanese tourist to find a legal job without work papers.

I'd check craigslist in CA, OR, WA, MI, for a way into the medical scene.

Bombasquatch

stay where you are and never start growing marijuana, its troubles you dont need my friend! sushi sells faster than pot anyways bro

HyGradeChronic

THE WORLD IS YOUR OYSTER/WHERE ARE YA NOW TONY MONTANA

THE WORLD IS YOUR OYSTER/WHERE ARE YA NOW TONY MONTANA

:moon:
...... fuk the fukin' Diaz bruddas!!!!!
...... shush DOES sell better than OG KUSH, or, SOUR DIESEL, or HAZE etc etc etc...:woohoo:
..... take it from a guy what USED to grow commercially!
..... yea, all i gots to show for it is a BAAD CASE A PM, and a cellblock full spider mites the size a tarantulas!!!!!
..... :laughing:
..... not to mention an electric bill that should have had me on my own power grid. n issues w/RH and temp issues that woulda required 70,000 tons of A/C, if i had used conventional A/C in conjunction with humidistats hooked up to fire hoses to keep RH ambient :tip hat:
...... no stick w/shushi n white blonde big boobed ameriKan hookers, n organize another FAST N FURIOUS TOKOYO run and you b waaaay ahead a da game ese.
..... seguro, no mentiras, me entiendes...
.....:dance013::dance013:
..... peace
..... HGC
..... P.S. keep in mind a STRESS-FREE ENVIRONMENT will give you highest n healthiest yields. NO, you gonna have LOTTA STRESS bein' a "gentleman farmer" w/commercial aspirations. BUT you wanna make every lil t"ing ire for yer plants.:i.e., NO STRESS ON DEM ese, nada

Last edited:
Hi Yuji. Welcome and good luck with your aspirations.

There are job fairs a few times a year in Bellevue and the first one for the industry in Spokane is coming up in a few days. You could also try craigslist, seems like someone posts a help wanted ad every month or so but its not common.

The problem is that there are people lined up for these jobs. Literally. Two weeks ago someone knocked on our door and handed us a resume just on the off chance we needed a clipper six months down the line. That's motivation. Competition is tough and there are about 300 grow ops in the state. I'd guess there are less than 5,000 jobs total on the growing side of the industry in WA right now. There are hundreds of thousands of potential applicants once you factor in all the people like you who are willing to move to get in on the ground floor. Getting a job is doable if you're willing to take minimum wage but you'll still have to fight hard for it and its not likely to lead to a management or oversight position in the near future. I need people to scrub floors or break down a couple pallets of soil at a time, not to tell me what fertilizers need to go on which plants. As long as our business stays open, I'm probably always going to want to be the one deciding what fertilizers go where and I'm probably always going to need my floors scrubbed and my pots full of dirt. I don't have to pay someone the same wage as a diesel mechanic or a dental hygienist to push a mop, so prior training is pretty useless.

If that didn't turn you off, then I'd suggest focusing your job search around Spokane county first and Whatcom County second. Spokane has twice as many grow ops as any other county in the state and Whatcom has a very favorable local government. If people were willing to suck up the huge costs on land there, the locals made it easy to set up shop and I believe there are a lot of businesses about to open up in that area.

Also you may want to check out MJBA (marijuana business association) meetings. They have them regularly scheduled all over the state. A lot of owners and managers go to those meetings to network so it'll at least get you in front of them. Fair warning though, they may not be receptive to someone handing them a resume (WITH PROFESSIONAL SPELLING/GRAMMAR AND A COVER LETTER) while they have bigger fish to fry. Expect a lot of rejection and move on to the next opportunity.

As far as the degree and experience goes, I hate to say it but that might work against you. We don't like hiring people who think they have a lot of experience specifically with marijuana. We like to hire motivated and intelligent people who really want and are grateful for a job. I can train people the way I want but I can't train them to be loyal and I can't make them unlearn whatever bad habits they picked up working in their closets. We'd rather hire an experienced greenhouse worker with an active pesticide handler's license for $12 an hour (competitive wage for those qualifications in my area) than someone who has already clipped maybe a quarter of one of our crops over the course of several years and probably still didn't do it exactly the way we want it done. If you've ever tried to hire help for your own projects you'll know what I mean instantly. The more someone else has grown, the bigger headache they are when they're in your op. So if you're going for this my advice is to play up the studies and play down the prior experience besides saying you have some and answering any follow up questions they have about it honestly, directly, and briefly.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Dready_jake

:moon:
...... fuk the fukin' Diaz bruddas!!!!!
...... shush DOES sell better than OG KUSH, or, SOUR DIESEL, or HAZE etc etc etc...:woohoo:
..... take it from a guy what USED to grow commercially!
..... yea, all i gots to show for it is a BAAD CASE A PM, and a cellblock full spider mites the size a tarantulas!!!!!
..... :laughing:
..... not to mention an electric bill that should have had me on my own power grid. n issues w/RH and temp issues that woulda required 70,000 tons of A/C, if i had used conventional A/C in conjunction with humidistats hooked up to fire hoses to keep RH ambiemt

High humidity doesn't cause pm. High humidity doesn't cause mold. Stagnant air causes mold and mildews, except pm. That's systemic and there are multiple types. One roots better in dry environments and another in 100% humidity. If you utilize the VPD chart and have the necasary airflow, then your plants will be happiest. high humidity isn't bad. YOU NEED PROPER AIRFLOW. Which means a lot of fans in any environment.

BagAppeal

Spain might be kind to you..Contacting some clubs will give you an idea of job opportunities?

Wish you all the best in your search and hope you find what your looking for!

BagAppeal

Uruguay is working with Phillip Morris and Monsanto. They want genetic markers spliced in to their strains so their beat cops can do a quick test and tell whether taxes were paid. I know nothing about Spain.