What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Woody Harrelson Wants to Open a Pot Dispensary in Hawaii

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Because of course.
<LABEL data-reactid=".1bt6m7pfc3k.5.1:2.1.0.0.2.$Author.0">by </LABEL>

Woody Harrelson, who, we’re stunned to report, does not already own a small pot dispensary in Hawaii, is looking to open a small pot dispensary in Hawaii. According to THR, the “actor and marijuana advocate” was one of 66 people who applied to open one of the state’s first medical marijuana dispensaries. There are only eight licenses available, and those who win The Pot Dispensary Games will be able to open their businesses as soon as July.
As THR notes, Hawaii became the first state to legalize medical marijuana 16 years ago, and lawmakers there are working to legalize recreational marijuana, as well. Perhaps anticipating the forthcoming kush boom and understanding the unique appeal of getting stoned as hell in paradise, Harrelson submitted his dispensary application through his company, Simple Organic Living, LLC., which, quite appropriately, advocates for simple organic living. Other would-be indica impresarios include video game entrepreneur Henk Rogers, because video games and weed, and Dirk Fukushima, who produces a local karaoke TV show called “Hawaii Stars,” because karaoke and weed.
In order for Henk, Dirk, Woody, or any of the other 63 applicants to be selected, they’re required to have $1 million in cash, $100,000 for each of their dispensary locations, and at least one good pot story from the 1970s. The applicants are also required to have been Hawaii residents for more than five years. If chosen by the Hawaii State Department Of Health to wield their power over the state’s weed, each licensee is only allowed to open up two production centers and two retail locations, max. Oahu can house six (Harrelson wants to open his in Honolulu County), Hawaii Island and Maui can house four each, and Kauai can house two.
Harrelson has yet to comment on the news of the application, perhaps because he’s busy playing poker with fellow pot crusader Willie Nelson.
http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/02/woody-harrelson-wants-to-open-a-pot-dispensary-in-hawaii

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice one woody,,
he sure seems to love cannabis,,,
he popped in to the kings cross holistic centre[london] a few years back,,,
seemed a really nice man,,,,
best of luck and that his "heart is in the right place" as he sure dont need the money lol,,,,s2

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@island indica
^^^^you haven't a clue. Do you?^^^

Woodys one of the few people, in his position on this earth, to put his money where his mouth is. Lets see what happens to you when you go plant cannabis seed in the DEAs lawn.

I hope Woody gets his ticket & some ICers get to help.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
An acquaintance of mine lived next door to him in Hawaii. They made homemade bongs together. LOL.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
when "gratefulhead" met him another time at KX
[will ask gratefulhead if he still has the pic],,
he gave off a lovely vibe and in no way,shape or form did he come across as the massive star he is,,dude was totally grounded,,,

bet if he gets his ticket then his dispensary will be the bollocks,,
again the very best of luck woody:tiphat:,,,,,s2

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good advocacy, Woody!! Glad notoriety and funds will be instrumental in his pursuit.

Doubt I'll ever get to Hawaii-ya, but KUDOS to the man! We (as a world wide community) need more like him, Willie and countless others for the (r)evolution to continue.

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
It's a nice idea but I hate when the super rich try to dominate the market before it even gets started. Old Woody doesn't need the money maybe he should leave something for one of us common folk.

Picarus

Good to hear, more jobs for locals. Good on ya Woody. You know any "common folk" with a million in cash???

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's a nice idea but I hate when the super rich try to dominate the market before it even gets started. Old Woody doesn't need the money maybe he should leave something for one of us common folk.
hey hiding,,,,
totally see where your coming from mate and yes "old woody" sure as hell dont need the money but maybe? ,
this is his way of putting something back into something he loves and not another steve d angelo,,,,
time will tell,,,,,s2

snake11

I'm happy for woody as he has put himself out there many times for cannabis. I do have a major problem with the only let the rich play mentality that is going on.

dddaver

Veteran
M-O-N-E-Y. Nothing else involved. Case closed. Just look at the "upfront" numbers. It stinks of dirty politics.

I really commend Woody for being such a staunch advocate over the years and supporting just what's right. But this isn't about that or helping sick people or none of that. It's about rich fuckers who see the obvious in the future and want to get the most out of it. Woody 's company just happens to have all his bucks from Hollyweird so they can do that.

But if you read the story, what has a cool weed story from the 1970's got to do with anything in the selection process? Ans: it doesn't. Was that them trying to make a joke? Makes me wonder about anything else they say. Maybe Woody has never even heard of any of this until that story.

Ph-patrol

Veteran
Woody has been a Patriot to the cause for a long time.He get my support.
That backstreet boy singer terd Nick Lachey trying to rope a dispensary/Farm in an ohio bill.
Well that guy is about the money and does not believe in the plant.It got turned down because of that move.

krood

it will be interesting to see what happens, the way that it is being set up, the dispensary has to produce all their own stock, indoors... not even a greenhouse. Also a bill is being introduced that would ban personal grows, because there are dispensaries now to buy from.

on a different note, there is also a bill that would allow anyone to get a hemp growing permit in Hawaii, as long as they apply for it, that could be interesting, but worrisome when i think about peoples seedcrops and such.

in my opinion I truly don't care who is going to apply for it, but the guys that were growing before this, and have been supporting their families by risking their freedom and safety, are who I would like to see get the permits (wont happen though) not some guy that doesn't even know anything about growing, like some of the guys applying for the permits are, (some know jack shit). nothing against Woody Harrelson either, he's not who I was referring to. Hawaii is such an old boy state I would put money that the applicants are already chosen, and were chosen before the application announcement.

I was thinking the other night, is it discriminating if you aren't allowed to apply if you dont have enough cash?

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
good for him ..is his dad still in jail??? or has he died already...quite the character and one crazy mofo....yeehaw

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Having the cash and notoriety helps the cause.....forward movement vs. Christie and his vow to obliterate recreational. Who would you rather have?