What's new

Wisconsin Medical Marijuana Legislation

buddydro

Changed my mind

Changed my mind

good luck fellas.... last time i checked wisconsins approval rating of dick cheney was something like 95% as of 2007.......:dunno:

Yeah I wanted to get one of them, but now I'm going with a nipple ring thingy.

OK so I come back later and post better recap of today when I have not driven 3 hours and rubbed out the aches and pains with the SSH jar.

buddy

CANNACO-OP

Farmassist
Veteran
buddydro.....no dick cheney huh? wise choice... LMAO even though a little frustrated with legislators like yourself!

buddydro

I hope everyone channels their frustration into indignant action.

They have me pissed off. So I fighting all the way till moving day, and even beyond.

I thought it would be cake once I started talking their language - voters and taxpayers. Figured they gonna relate to that, right? Wrong answer.

On the drive home, while downloading my day; I thought of something I may have missed.

So my next round I'm going with my new "Show Them The Money" campaign.

Hopefully that penetrates the communication barrier.

buddy

buddydro

What I Overheard In Madison

What I Overheard In Madison

Here's what I'm getting from Madison

Senate Bill http://www.legis.state.wi.us/2009/data/SB-368.pdf

has 1 proposed ammendment by Senator Carpenter.
Amendment proposes removing all growing language from bill. No patient growing. No caregiver growing.

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/2009/data/SB368-SA1.pdf

Another area of concern to me is the March 4 deadline for action. More then one way to kill a bill.

From what I gather roll call shows we do not have the Senate Committee right now.

We need 1 Republican Senator. Just one.
1. Least that's what I'm being told.

The good news is that there is a lot confidence that we have the Assembly vote. As written. But that's complicated too, Senate has to move first or sumpin like that.

Another piece of good news is bill author Representative Mark Pocan was/is still extremely confident in an interview after last nights snub by the Gov

I am far removed from being a Capitol insider, but I gathered this info from many amazing Capitol insiders. Many whom have been fighting for this thing for a long time. Some from the very beginning.

There are many good people working their asses off on this - and that alone makes me feel confident.

I know the only thanks these fine folks are looking for is YOUR HELP!

Thank them here:

http://www.madisonnorml.org/info.html

http://www.madisonnorml.org/PYOcenter.html

It's so easy a medicated person who wants to get involved can do it!

Thanks in advance.

buddy

buddydro

Legislators do the strangest things!

Legislators do the strangest things!

So I'm sitting in the Capital lobby yesterday chillin and people watching.

Round about 5 a group of legislators was kinda hanging in the lobby, coats on, commiserating amongst themselves.

Just watching those interatcions was interesting and entertaining in itself.

So a group of 20 or so I'd guess high school age students walks into the lobby.

Boom! These fricking guys was on those kids like they just walked on to their used car lot!

So I'm thinking WTF - that's not the reception I received all day!

And then I thought "you silly, silly men - you want that generations votes - you're going to have to listen to and represent them"

And I just don't see that generation voting for anyone that bullshits them about MMJ.

I'm just saying . . .

buddy

CANNACO-OP

Farmassist
Veteran
I was told the lawmakers of WI are only looking at the patients of Wisconsin and if this is good for them, this is a public health issue I was told. I hear that again and again.

I know that is not what it seems, but I kind of feel that. The major opposition says "patients are being used". The supportors are trying to figure out how to protect patients by eliminating the personal grows, I know, sounds goofy, but no personal grows means dispensary and regulations and a more "medical pharmacy" approach, just like they where "trained", not just they, but us all, trained to accept as normal, not NORML..LOL

Again, Republicans must support this issue on basics of civil liberties and doctors and patients rights, and for lesser governement and less spending on wasteful things (so with all the facts, a YES vote is warranted by both parties as the bill is written.

This is the best bill for the patients of Wisconsin and that is what I was told this is about. This bill, this time!

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
Yes, we're demanding medical acceptance. What other medication do people manufacture for themselves at home?

Now the argument in favor is to point out that indigent people get their medication paid for by various 'safety net' programs. You're not going to be left to die from cancer from lack of being able to pay for chem or radiation treatments. You'll even have pain meds provided by these same programs. So unless Wisconsin wants to pay the freight for the indigent, they should be allowed to grow it so they can get enough without having to prostitute themselves or whatever.

I'm really praying we don't end up dealing with this in DC. As it stands, cultivation by patients and caregivers is still in the bill. I expect them to at least put canopy size or plant count limits in at a minimum. But the poor people won't get their medicine argument is DOA in the District as they intend to subsidize the poor on a sliding scale. I haven't figured out a coherent argument to address the cultivation aspect with that provision, except perhaps patient privacy. Some people just don't want strangers to know they're using this treatment.

buddydro

I was told the lawmakers of WI are only looking at the patients of Wisconsin and if this is good for them, this is a public health issue I was told. I hear that again and again.

I know that is not what it seems, but I kind of feel that. The major opposition says "patients are being used". The supportors are trying to figure out how to protect patients by eliminating the personal grows, I know, sounds goofy, but no personal grows means dispensary and regulations and a more "medical pharmacy" approach, just like they where "trained", not just they, but us all, trained to accept as normal, not NORML..LOL

Again, Republicans must support this issue on basics of civil liberties and doctors and patients rights, and for lesser governement and less spending on wasteful things (so with all the facts, a YES vote is warranted by both parties as the bill is written.

This is the best bill for the patients of Wisconsin and that is what I was told this is about. This bill, this time!

Watch this video of a debate on this bill between Senator Erpenbach and Senator Kavanas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxyr7hcBAB8

and tell me what you hear.

I hear Kavanas standing on myths and lies and the personal belief that all of WI shares his personal morals and values and they are just as afraid of the medical cannabis culture that will surely invade WI upon passage of this bill.

I also see a guy who would blow the "go into any town and talk to 3 people and score" theory :biggrin:

buddy

buddydro

30 days left people - March 4th deadline

Let's all make a big push between now and then.

Everything
that you've already done - do it again.

Please. Thank you

"This bill, this time."

A

arrg

come on vote this crap in already so i stop making fun of cheeseheads and become one

buddydro

I'll pass that thought on

I'll pass that thought on

come on vote this crap in already so i stop making fun of cheeseheads and become one

Can't hurt to bounce that off legislators - never know what get's through these days.

Now, if your name is Brett . . :biggrin:

buddy

buddydro

BUMP

BUMP

[FONT=MS Sans Serif, Arial]For years, Jacki Rickert has been asking, "Is My Medicine Legal YET?" Jacki suffers from two painful and debilitating conditions, Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and Advanced Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, and was fully approved for participation in the U.S. Government's Compassionate Use Investigative New Drug (I.N.D.) Program in at the federal level in May 1990, and by the state of Wisconsin in December 1990. But the government violated its contract and never delivered the 300 marijuana cigarettes per month as they promised. 8 surviving patients grandfathered into the program are still receiving supplies of U.S. marijuana today. Jacki has continued her fight for the medicine that works best for her. She has visited Washington DC numerous times to lobby Congress, In 1997, Jacki met Jim and Cheryl Miller, beginning a long friendship. In 1999, Gary and Jacki joined Jim and Cheryl in Washington for a protest at former Rep. Bob Barr's office. In June of 2003, Cheryl succumbed to complications of multiple sclerosis. Jacki, Jim Miller and Gary then helped spearhead a DC memorial for Cheryl, which led to the formation of the MS Patients Union.[/FONT] [FONT=MS Sans Serif, Arial]Gary Storck has been asking, "Is my medicine legal yet?" since October 3, 1972, when he accidentally discovered that marijuana lowered his elevated intraocular pressure caused by severe congenital open-angle glaucoma. Gary tried to get into the I.N.D. program in the late 1970's, but his physician was unwilling to deal with the governmental red tape involved. He did however, write a letter, dated June 4, 1979, stating "If marijuana were available for me to prescribe to this patient, I would be willing to do so, in the hope that it would adequately control his condition with fewer side effects than the other medications currently available." 25 years later, in the year 2004, doctors are still unable to prescribe marijuana! Currently, Gary finds cannabis helpful not only for glaucoma, but also pain and spasms from degenerative disc disease in his neck and back, migraine headaches, and the stresses of dealing with a lifetime of illness including three open heart surgeries. [/FONT]
[FONT=MS Sans Serif, Arial]With first-hand knowledge of the therapeutic benefits and potential of this medicine, Jacki, founded I.M.M.L.Y. and asked Gary and to join her and help spread the word among patients, care providers, the medical professional community and the general public about the medical uses of this medicinal herb, and also help to build support for re-legalizing access for those who can benefit from this therapy.[/FONT]

Two of Wisconsin true hero's!

BUMPING Early passion from within this thread.

We kick this thing to the finish line and we got it, I feel it.
:witch:

buddydro

BUMP OP Started 1997 - Let's end it 2010

BUMP OP Started 1997 - Let's end it 2010

From Is My Medicine Legal Yet:

Quote:
For immediate release Monday, September 17, 2007

JACKI RICKERT MEDICAL MARIJUANA ACT TO BE INTRODUCED SEPT. 18

Mondovi & Madison - Ten years ago in September 1997, Jacki Rickert led 15 medical marijuana patients on a 210-mile wheelchair "Journey for Justice" from Mondovi to Madison that reached the Capitol on Sept. 18, 1997. On Tuesday Sept. 18, 2007, Jacki will again be at the Capitol for the "Quest for Justice", this time after a brief "Last Mile" wheelchair march honoring fallen comrades, with other patients and supporters up State St. to the Capitol steps. The march leaves Library Mall at State and Lake at 12:30 pm, arriving about 1:10 pm. Upon arrival, Jacki will proceed to a 1:30 pm press conference in the Senate Parlor with Reps. Mark Pocan (D-Madison) and Frank Boyle (D-Superior) and others, announcing the introduction of medical marijuana legislation named in her honor: "The Jacki Rickert Medical Marijuana Act".

In 1991, Jacki, who suffers from several incurable medical conditions including Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, was approved for participation in a small federal program that still supplies 5 living Americans with US government supplied medical marijuana. Jacki ultimately never received her medicine from the government when the program was suspended and then closed to new participants. One of the last people approved for the program, George McMahon, from Iowa, will be at the Capitol with Jacki and will join the press conference. Unlike Jacki and other Wisconsin patients in attendance, George will be able to legally use his medicine when the need arises.

Former gubernatorial candidate Ed Thompson from Tomah, a representative from the Wisconsin Nurses Association and patient-activist Gary Storck are also expected to join the press conference.

"Serious illness affects not just the patient, but also their families and friends. Watching a loved one suffer, and knowing the only medicine that helps is illegal is a cruel position far too many families face. Today, we are asking the legislature to put patients and families first. We have never asked for any special treatment, merely treatment," said Jacki Rickert.

Gary Storck, a glaucoma patient, said, "I met Jacki 10 years ago Sept. 18 and I've seen the difference medical cannabis makes in her life when she is able to access it. It's incomprehensible to me that in these 10 years, state lawmakers have passed hundreds of bills pushed by special interests, while failing to pass legislation protecting chronically and seriously ill patients that has overwhelming support among the people of Wisconsin."

Is My Medicine Legal YET? is a Mondovi and Madison based grass roots patient and caregiver organization dedicated to advancing public education about the medicinal benefits of marijuana. For further information contact Jacki Rickert or Gary Storck at 608.241.8922 or visit the IMMLY website.
Wisconsin residents, make sure to do your part by letting your assemblymen and women along with your state senators know you support this bill!

buddydro

BUMP

BUMP

RIP Mary Powers 1959-2009

Wisconsin lost a true hero.

mary4.jpg

http://www.icmag.com/ic/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=2804471

RIP Mary... we will win this won for you!

BUMP

buddydro

BUMP

BUMP

Here is a copy of the letter we are using.

I'm writing to urge your support as a co-sponsor to the Jacki Rickert Medical Marijuana Act.
This act seeks to enact statewide legal protections shielding those seriously ill patients who use cannabis therapeutically with a doctor's recommendation from criminal prosecution.
The use of marijuana as medicine is a public health issue; it should not be part of the war on drugs. According to a recent national survey of U.S. physicians conducted for the American Society of Addiction Medicine, nearly half of all doctors with opinions support legalizing cannabis as a medicine.
Some 80 state and national health care organizations, including the American Nurses Association, American Public Health Association and The New England Journal of Medicine, and the Wisconsin Nurses Association support immediate, legal patient access to medical cannabis.
Most recently, the largest association of doctors of internal medicine and the second largest medical association in the country, the American College of Physicians, released a policy paper in support of medical cannabis, stating, "The ACP strongly urges protection from criminal or civil penalties for patients who use medical marijuana as permitted under state laws."
Prior to the 1990s, even the federal government allowed specific patients to use marijuana medicinally via the Compassionate IND program. Jacki Rickert, a Wisconsin native, was accepted into this program -- only to learn that it was abruptly closed to new applicants. A handful of patients still receive medical marijuana from the federal government, but most patients like Jacki are forced to suffer needlessly.
Today thirteen states - Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington - have enacted laws protecting medical marijuana patients from state prosecution. These laws are operating primarily as lawmakers intended and have not led to widespread abuses among adolescents or adult recreational users.
I believe it is unconscionable to criminalize patients who find therapeutic relief from marijuana, and I urge you to support the Jacki Rickert Medical Marijuana Act.

BUMP

buddydro

BUMP

BUMP

I did notice this, that a good majority of folks down in Madison lobbying are there because they want to use marijuana at the end of their life or to help with a "physical" ailment.

Gary said something once that stuck with me

"We cannot rely on the dying and disabled to get this bill passed"

I know this is hard, but where are the supportors who are not end users? They need to be down there also... Where are the users who have not yet needed (knock on wood) to use for medical reasons? They are more able to help out now, where are they?

I would love to see a real GRASS ROOTS MOVEMENT in WI.

BUMP and right on bro! :hide:

Latest posts

Latest posts