What's new

Wisconsin Medical Marijuana Legislation

CANNACO-OP

Farmassist
Veteran
I have heard through the cannabis plant, that the committee members are actually discussing this, with NJ just going med, only dispensary language though, everyone is throwing ideas around in the committee, lots of people are sending in suggestions about how to structure the law, personal grows vs dispensaries is a topic, can anyone think of some reasons why a personal grow maybe appropritate for people who need to use cannabis 24/7 because of their dibilitating illness, especially someone fighting an illness that has allready wipped out their money on "regular healthcare"... I can. Maybe if you are in Wisconsin or have contacts here, they should share those feelings with WI legislators also!

G

How the Wisconsin Legislature Works
Overview:
Wisconsin has 33 senators and 99 Assembly representatives. Each senate district represents about 150,000 citizens. Each senate district is further divided into three Assembly districts, each representing about 50,000 citizens.

In January of each odd-numbered year, a new legislature is sworn into office for a two-year period called a “biennium.” During the biennium, the legislature is in continuous session with a schedule of alternating floor periods and committee work periods.

During any given biennium, approximately 2000 bills, joint resolutions and simple resolutions are introduced in the Senate and Assembly. Only one-fourth of these measures will become law.

How a bill is introduced
Any senator or representative may introduce legislation. Ideas for legislation can come from a legislator, a constituent, a group of citizens, a state agency, a business or a combination of sources. Once the legislation is properly drafted and other legislators have co-sponsored the legislation, the bill is introduced. The bill is given a bill number, read a first time, noted in the official journal of the house in which the bill is introduced, and referred to a committee.

Committee action on a bill
At the discretion of the committee chair, a public hearing may be scheduled. The hearing is open to the public and anyone may appear to speak or register for or against the measure. After the hearing, the committee meets in executive session where committee members may offer amendments to the bill, and to vote on amendments to the bill and the bill itself. If the bill is approved, it is reported to the house in which the bill originated.

Committee action on a bill
Bills reported out of committee are considered “available for scheduling”. For bills originating in the Assembly, the Assembly Rules Committee determines if the bill will go before the full Assembly. In the Senate, the Senate Organization Committee makes that determination.

Action in the first house
When a bill reaches the floor of either house, it is given its second reading by title. The question for the members is “Shall the bill be ordered to a third reading?” After the second reading but before a bill is ordered to a third reading, the members debate the bill and may offer amendments.

Engrossment, third reading and final passage
A vote to engross the bill incorporates any adopted amendments and technical changes and occurs at the third reading state. After the bill is read a third time, the question is, “Shall the bill pass?” If the members pass the bill, it is messaged to the other house.

Bill is placed on the calendar
The bill follows the same procedure as in the first house. If no changes are made by the second house, the bill is enrolled when a clean copy is prepared of the text as agreed to by both houses.

If the second house makes changes to the bill, it goes back to the first house for concurrence. If the two houses cannot agree on the language of the bill, a “Committee of Conference” made up of members from both houses is appointed to reconcile the differences. Both houses vote on the Conference Committee report and if both houses approve the report, the bill is enrolled.

The governor’s role
The Governor has six days (excluding Sunday) to approve or veto a bill. The governor can: 1) sign a bill, in which case it becomes law; 2) fail to sign it within six days, whereby the bill would become law; 3) veto the bill 4) veto certain parts of the bill (in any legislation involving an expenditure of funds, the governor may exercise his line-item veto power where parts of a piece of legislation are vetoed.)

Veto review
If the governor vetoes a bill, it returns to the house in which the bill originated along with the governor’s objections to the proposal. The session schedule provides a specific floor period for the consideration of all gubernatorial vetoes. The first house can override a gubernatorial veto with a two-thirds vote. If a two-thirds vote to override is achieved in the first house, the bill goes to the second house where it also takes a two-thirds vote to override the governor’s veto. If either house fails to achieve a two-thirds vote to override, the JRMMA becomes law!

buddydro

Excellent Lesson

Excellent Lesson

Thanks jimih2

I picked this off of this site: http://www.jrmma.org/

What happens next?
The hearing was held by two State Legislature Committees: the Assembly Committee on Public Health and the Senate Committee on Health, Health Insurance, Privacy, Property Tax Relief, and Revenue The committees must now debate and vote on the bill. This will not likely occur until January. A vote from the Senate committee is anticipated to come first. In the meantime, supporters need to contact committee members whose position is unknown or against. See alert below:​

Last edited:
G

You guys are welcome,,,Anything for my bros..I just got this E-Mail,,asking people to send a letter to Gov Doyle and ask Him to mention the JRMMA in his fairweel speech heres the letter i got,,Please snet a letter...Thanks Jimi..From NORML.ORG:

Make Marijuana Law Reform a Part of the Governor's State of the State Address
On Tuesday, January 26, Gov. Jim Doyle will give his final State of the State address to Wisconsin legislators and the public. Members of Madison NORML and IMMLY plan to have a presence at this event, and they are asking for your help.
Last October, Gov. Doyle publicly voiced his support for SB 368/SB 554: The Jacki Rickert Medical Marijuana Act.
Please take time today to thank the Governor for his past support, and ask him to urge lawmakers during his State of the State address to move expeditiously in favor of the Jacki Rickert Medical Marijuana Act.
Tell him: "I believe it is unconscionable to criminalize patients who find therapeutic relief from medical marijuana. I urge you to ask your fellow lawmakers during the State of the State address to support the Jacki Rickert Medical Marijuana Act."
You can call or write Gov. Doyle here:
http://www.wisgov.state.wi.us/section.asp?linkid=59&locid=19
NORML's local affiliates are also organizing a lobby day in support of The Jacki Rickert Medical Marijuana Act to take place on Wednesday, January 20. For more information, or to participate in this event, please visit here.
Thank you for supporting NORML's marijuana law reform efforts in Wisconsin.
Sincerely,
The NORML Team

CANNACO-OP

Farmassist
Veteran
Another fine post Jimih2! Making things easy here...I am going to go look at some medication shots now! Peace..Canna

buddydro

I love this quote

I love this quote

I love this (partial) quote by NORML Deputy Director Paul Armentano:

“Any risks presented by the use of marijuana by adults falls within the ambit of choice we should permit individuals in a free society. "

buddy

CANNACO-OP

Farmassist
Veteran
thanks buddy...I like that also.

Recently this one stuck out @ me also: Marijuana prohibition isn't really about drugs, it’s about the continued centralization of economic and political control.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thats why its still illegal bro,it just requires some seeds,soil,sunshine,and water,no good way to regulate and tax it when anyone can do it

buddydro

"If the truth won't do it, something is wrong!" PT. 2

"If the truth won't do it, something is wrong!" PT. 2

http://www.examiner.com/x-30194-Mad...aring-Nurses-doctor-support-compassionate-use

So - many Wisconsin Health Care Professionals and organizations voiced their support at the 12/15/2009 hearing?

And most reports only talk about the WI State Medical Society being on record as opposing the bill.

OOOPS!

Here's a link to a list of organizations supporting access to theraputic cannabis:

http://medicalcannabis.com/Healthcare-Professionals/supporting-organizations

buddy

buddydro

How'd They Do That?

How'd They Do That?

http://www.michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/

Much information to be gleaned about how our neighbors got their patients off of the front lines.

I have made the decision and am currently working on relocating to the UP this summer. Where the only thing that I will have to worry about is the Lions!

buddy