What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wiring TG11 Socket Remote CFL lamps

W

W.P.

The Fulham Workhorse 8 ballast is a 220w ballast that can run 4 55w lamps. Only 1 red lead per lamp is needed as the ballast automatically determines the wattage of the lamp and provides the proper current.

We really need to clean this thread up, cause i kept reading how a workhorse8 will run 4x 55 watt's ...... It might but IS NOT designed to. The workhorse7 will run them and you can hook up 4x50 to the wh8 but not 55w ho's

So now i got 8 bulbs, 8 bases, 8 clips, and 2 x wh8 that only run 6 lights.:no:

And any info on the wiring with the locking type bases from coollights as there socket has different hole set.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
We really need to clean this thread up, cause i kept reading how a workhorse8 will run 4x 55 watt's ...... It might but IS NOT designed to.

Has anyone rigged 3 lamps and then 4 lamps and checked the light output? Mine is still running strong with 4 lamps on a WH8.

W

W.P.

I dont have a tester but it was you that i followed in regards to the wh8 and 4x 55 ers , it might work but it not supposed to.( i am waiting on the bulbs so not sure yet but will hook up three doubled, then four with two leads capped and will report any differences by eye that i can tell.) We will see. Also any info on those sockets with the push button?

W

W.P.

OK three is brighter, (i don't have a tester ) but IMO not enough to warrant using three over four IF you want/need the spread of four lights, this works well.

The bases from coollights.biz work w/ the WH8 a little different but pretty easy still.

193$ total shipped for 8 x 55 watt 6500 spectrum 5k lumen bulbs ,2x WH8 ballasts, locking sockets and metal clips... :thanks:

420ish

OK three is brighter, (i don't have a tester ) but IMO not enough to warrant using three over four IF you want/need the spread of four lights, this works well.

The bases from coollights.biz work w/ the WH8 a little different but pretty easy still.

193$ total shipped for 8 x 55 watt 6500 spectrum 5k lumen bulbs ,2x WH8 ballasts, locking sockets and metal clips... :thanks:

are you running all 8 bulbs in one cabinet?with 8 in a big 2 level cabinet 4feet wide 7 feet high by 2 feet deep im running around a high of 88 to 90 and a low of 84 with around 160 cfm fan exhausting.the only thing i need to add is a second 4 inch intake vent at the bottom.i thought it would run alot cooler then they are.

hazeydayz

would flowering with 3000k be better or would 4100k do just as well...ive been looking at the high pod and wondering if different spectrum will impact yield

fatigues

Veteran
would flowering with 3000k be better or would 4100k do just as well...ive been looking at the high pod and wondering if different spectrum will impact yield

It won't do worse. The data so far does indicates a slight improvement using 3000k over 4100k for flowering - in the neighbourhood of perhaps a 5% additional output.

But I caution that I am using a very small sample size on either side of that equation, so that the differences can just as easily be explained away by factors other than color temperature of the triphosphors. We simply don't have any controlled experiments to confirm a real difference, if any.

Provided that you order 10x55w bulbs from 1000bulbs.com, you can reduce the unit cost to 2.72 each for both your 3000k and 4100k bulbs. Even if you do not find there is much of a difference, you will have the benefit of having the extra bulbs and extend the life of your 4100k for vegging the grow. Spare bulbs are good to have around at that price.

I got both for that reason, though I have not yet had a chance to compare them head to head in any controlled way. Perhaps later this year.

I'd like to pick up 8 x 6400k bulbs for the same reason to experiment with different results when vegging as compared to 4100k lamps.

ICAN

Nice photo tutorial Hydro!

I was wondering if you (or anyone) might know how the wiring goes for a 4-pin square CFL?

It's a 4-pin square arrangment, specifically a GX10q-6.

There's also a GX10q-4, 2, etc, and a line of GY10q-# ... and a few other types that all have 4 square-arranged pins.
I think some of the variations are simply different locking mechanisms for the bulb bases... rather than electrical or pin-spacing differences.

FC27-FML2765-600x.jpg

This is how Fulham says to wire a 4-pin quad, but with the pins being square instead of linear, which pins do the red and yellow wires go to?

wire2.gif

btw, they are Eiko FML bulbs and come in 18, 27, and 36 watt sizes, and in 27k, 41k, and 65k. They don't give as many lumens/watt as some PLLs, but at 10" x 4" total size, and 8" x 4" of lighted bulb space, they allow for more options on spacing. Initial lumens are 2600 initial to 2340 mean for the 36watter.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I would imagine they get wired pretty much the same way.

Play with it and see. They're very safe and you're not going to blow it up unless you really work at it. :D

Thanks for putting that up... not everyone has a 22" space, you're definitely correct there. :D

Stay Safe! :tree:

ICAN

Ya, safe is what I'm first interested in :)

The PLLs get a red wire for the 2 pins on one side, and a yellow for the pins on the other side.
So possibly the square pins, also are separated by sides, and each side shares the same color.

What happens if they are wired wrong? Anything worse than them simply not lighting?

Sure thing.. glad to share in return for all the help here already. Sylvania also has 27 and 36 watt flat quads, with even better lumen/watt rating. Those are 8.5" x 3.25" and come in 4100 and 3000.

Another plus is that with these bulbs putting out about half the lumens of a 55watt PLL... they should give off about half the heat too.

Scrogerman

Veteran
Most definitely tagged, im loving these little lamps, does everyone think they are better than CFl's? i am building a few Microcabs for some novice buddies that wanna get into growing, i cant think of better lamps to supliment 70-150hps or used solo, they are mustard!
Perminant seat in this thread, props to the creator"!
Peace & Respect...........Scroger'

BoneGlass

Hope its ok to bump this thread...

Thanks for the write-up on these. It's really helpful.

Since 4x55w isn't recommend on the wh8, could you run 3 55w and one lesser one like 40w? Is that possible, or do you need to keep the same wattage size for all?

Also, would it be ok to run 4x55w on the wh7?

Sorry if these are dumb questions. I know nothing about electrical stuff.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Hope its ok to bump this thread...

Thanks for the write-up on these. It's really helpful.

Since 4x55w isn't recommend on the wh8, could you run 3 55w and one lesser one like 40w? Is that possible, or do you need to keep the same wattage size for all?

Also, would it be ok to run 4x55w on the wh7?

Sorry if these are dumb questions. I know nothing about electrical stuff.

I doubt it. To stay under warranty... you'd have to match one of their wiring diagrams. None of them have wirings for multi-watt lamps. You should be able to find a ballast specifically for that wattage lamp though.... any T5HO ballast of that wattage should be fine. :D

Remember to protect your eyes!

BoneGlass

I doubt it. To stay under warranty... you'd have to match one of their wiring diagrams. None of them have wirings for multi-watt lamps. You should be able to find a ballast specifically for that wattage lamp though.... any T5HO ballast of that wattage should be fine. :D

Remember to protect your eyes!

Thanks man! I appreciate the fast response. I think I'll end up running 3x55w to stay safe. Maybe 4x50w, but the bulbs seem to be bit more expensive than the 55w's.

How bad did you mess your eyes up? I'll be careful.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
How bad did you mess your eyes up? I'll be careful.
Luckily.... not that bad at all. I started seeing a 'haze' over everything when the lighting was just right.

It was researching on the problem that dumped the long-term damage info in my lap. The worst damage they do is accumulative and slight. That means that by the time you notice the worst kind of damage... it's already permanent.

The haze is gone now and I try to keep the long-term damage to a minimum.

R

ratingsthe

Nice photo tutorial Hydro!

I was wondering if you (or anyone) might know how the wiring goes for a 4-pin square CFL?

It's a 4-pin square arrangment, specifically a GX10q-6.

There's also a GX10q-4, 2, etc, and a line of GY10q-# ... and a few other types that all have 4 square-arranged pins.
I think some of the variations are simply different locking mechanisms for the bulb bases... rather than electrical or pin-spacing differences.

FC27-FML2765-600x.jpg

This is how Fulham says to wire a 4-pin quad, but with the pins being square instead of linear, which pins do the red and yellow wires go to?

wire2.gif

btw, they are Eiko FML bulbs and come in 18, 27, and 36 watt sizes, and in 27k, 41k, and 65k. They don't give as many lumens/watt as some PLLs, but at 10" x 4" total size, and 8" x 4" of lighted bulb space, they allow for more options on spacing. Initial lumens are 2600 initial to 2340 mean for the 36watter.

Does anyone know anything about how one would wire these types of bulbs up?

http://www.1000bulbs.com/27-Watt-4-Pin-GX10q4-Base-Compact-Fluorescent-Light-Bulbs/

I can't find any sockets that would accept GX10q-x online, outside of a website in China that I can't read, and I'm going to try calling 1000bulbs and see if they have any.

I suppose I could simply connect the wires to the prongs but I'd rather have a socket like the ones the topic started used for wiring like the TG11.

The site lists them as roughly 6 inches in length, and I would like to wire 4 of these 27 watt bulbs @ 6500k for a micro veg box.

Thanks for any help anyone, please!

R

ratingsthe

Thanks for the reply, my friend.

I should have probably been more specific since I think I confused you.

I'm wondering if anyone knows where to find sockets/inputs for the above FML bulbs. I can't seem to find any websites selling the quad-shaped prong inputs. I would like to mount the bulbs easily like the PL-L's the thread starter used instead of wiring directly from ballast to bulb. I will contact some retailers and see if anyone carries them.