What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wiring approval for my Intermatic timer please

ExoSteve

Hi!!

Just wired my timer to plug on my 1000w ballast and I would like to have an approval before I plug that beast! :)

1- Is that well wired?
2-Why wire already installed in the timer are gauge 16?
3-Why there is NO wire already installed in the timer on the 3rd screw? (the right one)

Thank you guys!!!!

img0002or.jpg
img0003cbq.jpg

ExoSteve

Don't know why the picture are on this side...in my computer they are ok...

Save them on your disk and rotate them...will be easier to look at them.

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
In the picture it appears that there is a white jumper wire between lug A and lug 1.
If it IS a jumper, it is going between the hot supply and neutral, which is a direct short.

It may be an illusion in the picture, but check it to be sure it is NOT a jumper.

ExoSteve

Its 2 differents wire. They were already installed in the timer when I bought it. The 3rd scre doesn't have this wire.

Stress_test

Veteran
It looks right then.

I usually suggest plugging in just a normal light bulb or a fan to test the timer. It's a lot cheaper to replace than a ballast.

ExoSteve

I setted up the timer at 17h45 (time here)...installed the ON clip at 6pm....and the OFF clip at 6am!! Pluggued the wire in the outlet...pluggued the T5 in the timer...and it light on!! Its suposed to be OFF ...

I don't understand my mistake!!?!!??!!

Thank you for your very appreciated help!!

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I agree with Stress_test - it looks good.

They use 16 gauge wire inside the box because the runs to the clock motor are so short that they can handle higher amperage than what they normally be rated for, and the clock motor is probably an "impedance protected" motor". That means that the impedance (resistance) of the motor windings is high enough that even if the motor seizes and goes locked rotor, it won't create a problem.

The #3 terminal doesn't have any internal wiring attached because that is the load side of the switch, and there is nothing internal to the timer that requires that function - the other two connections drive the clock motor.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I setted up the timer at 17h45 (time here)...installed the ON clip at 6pm....and the OFF clip at 6am!! Pluggued the wire in the outlet...pluggued the T5 in the timer...and it light on!! Its suposed to be OFF ...

I don't understand my mistake!!?!!??!!

Thank you for your very appreciated help!!

Do a full circuit of the dial (spin it 360 degrees) - the contact was probably closed when you installed the trippers and it hasn't had a chance to actuate yet.

Stress_test

Veteran
No big deal...
Use the manual over ride switch and turn the light off.
Then wait and see that it turns back on when it's suppose to.

ExoSteve

It work guys!!!

The timer is really good but not very precise. The clamp get to ON about 15-18min after the setted time.

Latest posts

Latest posts