What's new

winterizing

gunnaknow

Hey hamma, it will work just fine. Anything at 190 proof is called neutral spirit. It is made up predominantly of ethanol and water. Usually only a small amount of methanol, isopropanol and other congeners.

hobb3s93

if absolute begins to have small wax spots appear in it does that mean i didnt winterize for long enough(or cold enough)?

gunnaknow

What temperature did you winterize at, hobb and for how long? What did you filter with? Are you sure that it's wax and not microfissures or bubbles reflecting the light?

hobb3s93

What temperature did you winterize at, hobb and for how long? What did you filter with? Are you sure that it's wax and not microfissures or bubbles reflecting the light?

didnt check temp honestly, just put it in household freezer for 3 days i believe, maybe two and half technically .do u think too high of freezer temp is my problem?

there was a bunch of solids at the bottom then poured from pyrex measuring cup thru coffee filter rubberbanded around a glass, that i left in the freezer while it was dripping thru filter.

not sure what a microfissure is honestly and it stayed as a sap inside the second pyrex which was used during evaporation.i had just been taking dabs out of the pyrex. but once i started putting small amounts on parchment , it would begin to turn to a wax texture. not sure if thats relevant.

:tiphat:

gunnaknow

The temperature and duration aren't the issue, hobb. The filtration is only likely to be the issue if there was a tear or if you used coffee filter papers with added flavor pores, such as Melitta filter papers.

Microfissures are basically microscopic tears that can be caused by flexing or stressing a material. They create irregularities in the material, which scatter the light and make it appear opaque. It's the same process that causes plastics to turn white, when you flex them to the point of fatigue. It could be the cause but only if you noticed the change happening right after having handled it. If it happened more gradually, while being left alone, it's likely to be caused by something else such as the Tyndall effect or the formation of microscopic bubbles.

The Tyndall effect is when light is scattered by particles or droplets in a colloid or suspension. It can sometimes occur when a solvent becomes reduced, causing previously dissolved substances to form as suspended particles or droplets. The material may eventually transition back to a transparent state, when the suspended particles or droplets join together, or dissolve with something else. I hope that this helps.