What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Winter?

jarmon

This is the first time I've done this on purpose, apart from when I was a kid messing around. Interested to see how long till it starts going back to vegetation instead of flowering. I read somewhere that it could be the change in length of darkness rather than the total time of darkness so you guys closer to the equator will have a bit more leeway than the rest of us further south. I think its around a minute less darkness per day in spring here at 31S. I was going to pull it up around equinox but maybe I will leave it a bit longer to see what happens, its clearly not going to be great for smoking anyway...

S

Sat X RB

Sorry its more like 2 minutes change of darkness per day.

never thought of it like that ... that you blokes further south have a more sudden 'tip over' point ... but I guess that's true.

me, I just watch for the heads beginning to stretch then pull or trim depending if I want to grow on or not.

the weather forecast here for this spring is gloomy. may not grow-on my winter plants this year as they're too big and need lots of water.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Heres how they look for me in winter,
they wont be ready till end of sept roughly ..

a sativa dom first ,
then an indica dom variety ..

picture.php

picture.php

S

Sat X RB

OK, here's two pics of this winter's efforts (between 24S & 26S).

if I 'd potted up the 'surprise' germinations earlier; if I 'd used some proper soil mix instead of grabbing a potful of soil and mixing it with raw cowshit in-between doing other things; if the Missus had watered them while I was away; and if I 'd blah blah blah … then they'd be bigger than they are!

you can just see the rear end of my cattle dog behind the furthest plant to give an idea of size.

but I DO like the form of these Sativas ...

picture.php

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?

well! only one pic transferred from my album! Hmmm ... ok, I 'll make this album public if yer wanna look at my page ...

T

Terlihat

You can't grow in winter in my area, and I'm talking Sydney area. The sun is not intense enough and the plants don't grow proper buds, just leaves and a few pistils.
You can though do a winter/spring crop, that is plant the middle of august or first of september at the latest.
But you must start them indoors and veg them as big as you can according to your circumstances, ie. don't forget you have to transport them to your spot.
Otherwise it wont be worth it, you will get a six inch plant with one tiny bud.
They will grow good buds, if you veg them to about a foot and a half tall they will grow mainly one centre cola.
I found that anything that could not be harvested by the first of november would reveg and you would get no buds off it. I,m talking hybrids like skunk, white widow and northern lights here. I haven't tried it with a full on indica but they would probably go a bit longer before they started to reveg.
The good thing about a winter/spring crop is you get a few pounds before the start of the season to tide you over, and then once you harvest the plants,leave the lower branches and they will reveg, so you don't have to plant out again for the summer crop.

E

eastbayray

I'm somewhat further south here (new zealand) but I started this lovely lady (seed plant) a little over four months ago. Vegged indoors for two months and flowered out in a greenhouse. Should finish up in a week or so.

:tiphat:

Attachments

• IMG_0491.jpg
    IMG_0491.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0493.jpg
    IMG_0493.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0497.jpg
    IMG_0497.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0499.jpg
    IMG_0499.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 10

jarmon

Crazy colours. Is that from the temperatures? Mine started to change to that black/purple colour on all the leaves and some of the seed pods but they don't look as pretty as that. I'm pretty sure mine is from the temps because the strain hasn't shown that colour before.

E

eastbayray

Crazy colours. Is that from the temperatures? Mine started to change to that black/purple colour on all the leaves and some of the seed pods but they don't look as pretty as that. I'm pretty sure mine is from the temps because the strain hasn't shown that colour before.

I think it's both nature and nurture. I haven't grown it out in a temperature controlled environment so I'm not sure if it's just the cool nights or not.

Attachments

• IMG_0831.jpg
    IMG_0831.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0832.jpg
    IMG_0832.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0833.jpg
    IMG_0833.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0835.jpg
    IMG_0835.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0807.jpg
    IMG_0807.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 12
S

Sat X RB

well I trimmed my sativas at the end of september and got a cuppla ounces of very nice smoke. planting was certainly worth the effort.

I 'll do this again next winter because I think with a bit of care I can get the bushes to grow 1 meter.

there's very little watering to do thru winter because less heat on the pots ... and that suits me fine.

the heads are def not so dense and the stone is not so strong ... but I 'm an old fart and strong is not as important as it used to be anyway.

so Cheers all!

S

Sat X RB

how are you harvesting in september ??? im planting in september :|

greetings Wally ...

I 'm wondering if you've read this thread from the beginning? anyway ... I've explained to you in a visitor msge.

cheers ...

brunzy

Outdoor runs are fine for me in winter and I'm in west Brisbane were it gets 1-2 degrees ant night

I actually look forward to it every year to break up from the indoor.

I usually take 50 clones and veg em for a week the throw em straight outside to flower after a nice stretch it's all nugs from there on. I pull anywhere from 1-2 zips a plant.

I like to use Red Devil (Aussie legend) or C99bx1 (mosca seeds).