What's new

Winter dep runs

jackel

Ok, this topic may have been covered but I didn't seem to find what I was looking for.
Ive got a greenhouse 20x48. I am running some seeds and clones in their for a winter run. My plan is use natural day light, supplement late night/early morning with t5's and cfl's. I will veg this way till approx jan then stop supplementing light and use natural sub-12hour days to flower with.
From my research yield won't be big, but flowers should be really crystally and dense (and purple if strain has that tendency).
Has anyone done this this way? I want to be able to run a spring and summer crop as well.

RoostaPhish

Veteran
In my experience they definitely took longer under the lower hours of light and colder temps. But without the need for paying for elec, it really was worth it.

Obsidian

Veteran
heat your hoop, keep it at 72f - 74f days, 68f nights and you'll have awesome meds. This is what we do each winter.

jackel

I have heater but during the day temps are in the 70s. At night temps drop, but not below freezing of course. I'd rather not heat it if I have to.

Rainmaker

Winter crops can be done. They tend to be much more resource intensive..more power for lights and gas for heat. The more you use ...the better the outcome will be. If you're going to take the time to nurture a crop through the winter you'd might as well make it worthwhile. I run my lights all day 7am-7pm to set my 12/12.

Obsidian

Veteran
The $200/month cost to run a green house in winter is still way cheaper than $700/month for an indoor crop of hydro

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I love my winter runs..brings out the colors and nobody is looking for weed in winter...yeehaw...here in the city we got rippers everywhere...someone tried to get into my gh when I was away...now its patrolled by my german shepard bitch and she is mean....sometimes I extend veg in the gh and sometimes go from inside to gh ..other times I plant a shitloads of seeds and get budsickles...hey sun is free..and I live in a mild climate san diego ...no heat needed...but when I lived in a cold area I heated mine...I got a mini seed run going now..crossed sour bubble with Mexican and a black domina cross with mexican...

ChopperDodger

Curious what some of you are using for heating. I am running propane heaters, restaurant variety with those "china" hats on top. Keeps the heat nice and low, just above plant tops. But def not keeping it up around 60's. What are some of you using?

B

Baked Alaskan

I used a Toyo Stove in my gh in Alaska. They are great little heaters but use diesel fuel.

St. Phatty

Is electric heat preferred over propane (burning something) because when you burn something, it raises the humidity ?

Hydrocarbon-C*H* + Oxygen = CO2 + H20

species

Am thinking of setting up a greenhouse into a two room grow operation in order to a rotational crop, (veg room/flower room) but I am concerned about winter costs.