What's new

Window AC leaking light

Floridian

Veteran
Just to be sure you all are talking about painting the foam divider correct?I'll have to look and see how to get into it.Lucky today starts harvest yippy yang and hang I'll have easy access to the front of the AC.I'm pretty sure I cant do anything from the back.At work so cant check just now

Former Guest

the foam divider in the middle the separates the cool side (grow room side) from the exhaust side (outside). I think the reflective tape would work better for light blockage. I've tried to use paint to block light from plastic buckets for hydro with little success. the moisture always makes the paint flake off and that would be my concern besides numerous warnings from different places not to. would suck to see it destroyed.

Former Guest

not knowing anything about how spray paint is manufactured but I'm willing to bet there is some use of paint thinner to keep the viscosity of the paint. I had an ex who was a autobody repair guy and they would have the newbs fetch them a foam cup of paint thinner. melts right in their hands and they would laugh at that poor new guy. I bet it depends on brands since some say it works.

Miraculous Meds

not knowing anything about how spray paint is manufactured but I'm willing to bet there is some use of paint thinner to keep the viscosity of the paint. I had an ex who was a autobody repair guy and they would have the newbs fetch them a foam cup of paint thinner. melts right in their hands and they would laugh at that poor new guy. I bet it depends on brands since some say it works.

Maybe ur right I just wanted to warn people what happened to me cause I was pissed at myself for melting the foam on a new ac.
gl

grow nerd

Veteran
It's not a big deal. A quick little accidental splash isn't going to melt down everything. Basically, taking the metal back cover off and spraying the insides of that cover will alone block quite a bit of light from reflecting. This is tried-and-true fact, not theory.

Same principle as a light trap. Same principle as spray-painting the insides of metal ducting elbows to kill light at exhaust ports.

Floridian

Veteran
I guess black spray paint would be the color to use.MM thanks for the warning you have me looking ar opther options but there are not many.The baffle is baffling lol

Miraculous Meds

I guess black spray paint would be the color to use.MM thanks for the warning you have me looking ar opther options but there are not many.The baffle is baffling lol

foil tape as much as u can.

on the baffle, I just stapled a piece of reflectix, on the wall beside the ac, so direct light wouldn't get to the Styrofoam that u couldn't tape. were talking 5 or 10 minutes bro.