What's new

will these led's replace my 1000w hps?

jm420

Veteran
[QUOTE

Prices are not yet what they need to be to compete against other lighting quite yet, but this is new technology. Wait a few years and they will start to make financial sense.

H.G.[/QUOTE]

so will plasmas

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
From the specs it looks like you've picked out a 13 watt panel.

The answer to your question is absolutely not.

Use LED's for vegging small plants for a SOG grow. If you need to veg to any taller than 1' I wouldn't recommend them.

Phedrosbenny

Trying to have a good day
Veteran
I know they grow plants and might even say sometimes they grow plants well....But like that first plant in your pics ..they grow small plants..dont they?

G

guest456mpy

I know they grow plants and might even say sometimes they grow plants well....But like that first plant in your pics ..they grow small plants..dont they?

I have limited space as I am retired and live in cramped quarters.

Weezard has pics in his albums that are traditional "tree" heights.

BTW i don't sell these things, just build them for my own use, if you read through the entire thread you will find lights that are not as weak as the one's "a certain person" sells.

G

guest456mpy

jm420,

Plasma has a long way to go before practical, but when it is (and I'm sure it will be) I will be the first to stand in line to buy them. My answers are not "knee-jerk" responses to blindly support my view. They are an open minded search for a better grow.

Keep this point of view in mind and you will be well served.

H.G.

welll what i learn with this post about led?
one more time i learn nothing...
all talk about this its pure confusion and nobody know explain...
im in same situation replacement light tipes becouse the heating.

i see some painels e sativa world but 80 watts r 800€ to mutch for mi... i grow for smooack superior quality

Cannarado

I had some long reply to you're comments, but its not worth it. Its not the topic. You have NO CLUE who this guy was, where he works, ect... yet you know everything about him. Get a life and grow up man.

Just because you feel or think differently doesnt mean you're right. You obviously see things different then me. You think LED's are worth their outragious price. Most everyone else wants their money back or wont waste the time and money. Well, whos right? I see more people against you're thoughts then with...

While you're pics look good - Its still just a pic. All i have to go on for quality and such of product is you're word. You've obviously taken every precaution to try and get the best plants with LED's. Most people wouldnt. Also, if LED's were half as good as you think they are, how come they arent being used commercialy? Why are they only endorsed by those selling them? Why do i only get recomendations online? Why is it every thread i've found where someone actually was ballsy enough and found a company who supports the product enough to hand out a few units to test, the OP goes back to his HID. Im yet to see someone who's used HID and compaire to LED's stick with LED's. The crops look the same in pretty pics... but they always admit that they got significantly less, and less quality. Why will no store in my area carry them? They'll order them for the one random person wanting one, but refuse to stock them. Funny... if there were oh so great, I'd assume they'd stock up like crazy and try and push them. But not even the crap stores that cant keep the plants in the store alive wont carry them cause its such a horrible buisness move. Those stores that know whats up and have "How to grow MMJ" classes with people in the buisness of MMJ laugh at you when you start talking LED. Why? Because it just cant hold a flame to HID. Period.

You say keep an open mind... i say be realistic. LED's may have potential - But they are FAR FROM worth anything at this moment. You can pull crops that look ok, but to equal the product of a 400w HID you need around 800w of LED. Wheres the energy and heat savings then? Untill 400w of LED is equal to 400w of HID - LED's are just novelty. My idea to use HQI is better then LED...

Obv theres not much more i have to say on the actual subject, its just turning into another pissing match with HG. Until i see a decent HID vs LED grow (side by side with pics) or they get a following like the CMH thread has - I'll stick with the majority in saying money is spent better elsewhere.

Japanfreakier

Veteran
The only led grows that have come anywhere close to impressing me where done with supplimental lighting, LED+ something. And to be honest after seeing a HID light just out of site in one pic where the guy claimed to be using only LEDs I don't really trust them. Would be a great way to sell shit, grow with one light, stick an LED in there just for the pic.

G

guest456mpy

Cannarado,
Again you miss the point. I very clearly said LED's do not make financial sense, but you have conveniently missed that. My point was that watts do not equal heat, wasted energy = heat. You are the one pissing, I am merely discussing.

Wipe your shoes off on the way out.

H.G.

G

guest456mpy

You have chosen wisely motarslitario. LED's while promising in their results cost WAY too much. A well designed and properly executed build for 300 watts is $1,200 for parts only. If you are an experimenter it's great, otherwise it may be wiser to wait for Haitz's Law to bring the cost down the same way Moore's Law brought down the cost of computers!

That is the entire point of the thread I pointed you to BTW. I shows exactly where the state of the art in LED's lie, and how much further it must go before the average grower would benefit by purchasing one. And it does it without the hysterical arguments that usually occurs in threads dealing with LEDs. All practical, no rhetoric or illogical statements. And prepared by some of the most experience LED experimenters internationally. knna, for example has several groups of growers conducting controlled environment testing where everything is carefully measured and verified. No one there has anything to gain financially. It is empirical science.

H.G.

T

treefrog

jm420,

My answers are not "knee-jerk" responses to blindly support my view. They are an open minded search for a better grow.

Keep this point of view in mind and you will be well served.

H.G.

Wiser words have not been spoken in this thread, lol.
I admire your patience and effort, Hempguy!

I think maybe the real issue is that any dummy can get bud using a HID, while LED's require a bit more experience; a better understanding of all elements required for a successful grow.

G

guest456mpy

treefrog,

Thanks for your kind words.

I have been growing cannabis literally since 1968 and have long since forgotten the trials and tribulations of the learning curve. But all and all it is a hardy plant with a strong will to survive.

If someone has a preference for HID or fluorescent or any other lighting I have no problem with that. But when someone states that cultivation under this or that type of lighting is impossible I feel I must at least show them that it is, if indeed that is the truth. Looking at only one type of lighting to the exclusion of all others is sophomoric thinking. And that thinker is literally a wise fool. Technical bigotry is just as ugly as any other type of bigotry.

The whole point is that lighting is just a tool and a good craftsman chooses his tool according to the task at hand.

It is as simple as that.

Thanks again,

H.G.

T

treefrog

treefrog,

Thanks for your kind words.

I have been growing cannabis literally since 1968 and have long since forgotten the trials and tribulations of the learning curve. But all and all it is a hardy plant with a strong will to survive.

If someone has a preference for HID or fluorescent or any other lighting I have no problem with that. But when someone states that cultivation under this or that type of lighting is impossible I feel I must at least show them that it is, if indeed that is the truth. Looking at only one type of lighting to the exclusion of all others is sophomoric thinking. And that thinker is literally a wise fool. Technical bigotry is just as ugly as any other type of bigotry.

The whole point is that lighting is just a tool and a good craftsman chooses his tool according to the task at hand.

It is as simple as that.

Thanks again,

H.G.

Exactly!

There are situations where I would choose HID over LED. I'm a small, cabinet scrogger though, so LED is the best option, even if much more expensive than HID (initially).

Some people viciously hold on to their beliefs in the face of much evidence to the contrary. There are many documented grows showing how well LED's work. If I were to point someone to one, it would have to be VerdantGreen's 205 LED diary. It's the thread that convinced me to buy one.

later~

CaptainTrips

not so my friend, i've seen 400watt HPS bulbs for more
than $100.00 and ATL sells 400watt CMH bulbs for $52.00
so half the price not twice the price.

$20 or maybe $25 for a HPS from home depot :p That will work 90% as well as the more expensive ones... So about twice as much. I have nothing against cmh, I use one for veg and like it a lot.

In order to replace your 1000 watt HID lamp, you will have to use at least 1000 watts of LED light (no matter what the LED sales guy says). Even with matching wattage, the LED will still give an inferior end product. The only advantage is less heat. Watt for watt LEDs can't grow equal quality or quantity.

How do I know?
I wish it was not so. I can't tell you how badly I wanted LED technology to work as well as old school.
Lets hope they don't give up trying to improve LEDs. They will make growing weed a lot easier.

Peace, R.

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
ok guys, i need some advice.
i've never grown with led's before and know nothing about them except that they use far less power and are not as bright and not as expensive as hps. i was gonna buy some and see if i can retire my 1000w hps for a while
here are the stats
11GRL003-S225-BRx4-A.jpg

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sel...225-BRx4-G.jpg
Power Supply AC80-265V 13W
Output Voltage 36V
Frequency 50-60Hz
LED Qty 225pcs
Color Red and Blue
LED Bulbs Power 0.06w x 225 LEDs (13.5w in total)
Lumen(Red/Blue) Red: 7.2Lux x 165LEDs
Blue: 4.8Lux x 60 LEDs
Wavelength Red: 660nm
Blue: 450nm
LEDs Diameter 5mm
Working Temperature -30-60 degree Celsius
Working Humidity Less than 95%
Power Cord Length 25 inch
Light Panel Size 12" L x 12" W x 1-1/2" H
Lighting Coverage 0.66 Ft - 6.6 Ft
Recommended Height 1Ft - 5Ft
Recommended Coverage One panel per 8.6 square feet
Specific Distance and Lighting Coverage:
Distance to Plants Lighting Coverage
20inch 5-1/2 square feet
40inch 7 square feet
60inch 8 square feet
80inch 8-4/5 square feet
Package Includes:

4x LED Light Panels
4 Set Hanging Kits

If i buy 2 of these which would be 8 panels all side by side, would that work???????

Didn't read any other responses, but absolutely not![/U

Latest posts

Latest posts