What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Will the new President Re-Classify Cannabis

jump /injack

Veteran
What would be the easiest solution for this conundrum is to re-classify cannabis to what it really is and has been for thousands of years, a medicine and a herb to alleviate the dullness of existence. Take it out of the drug classification that puts it into such company as heroin and cocaine, it should never have been classified as such.

Will California pot legalization survive the presidential election?

Obama has taken hands-off approach to state legalization of pot, but next president might not

Two decades ago California was the first state to allow medical marijuana. Now, voters are expected to be asked whether to legalize recreational use of the drug. The legalization measure is most likely to qualify for the statewide November ballot. Here’s a primer. Meta Viers McClatchy

By Sean Cockerham

WASHINGTON

Californians will vote this fall on legalizing marijuana for recreation but whether Golden State residents can break out the bongs could depend on what happens at the top of the ballot.

The next president has the power to shut down marijuana sales in the states that have legalized it, and two of the candidates, Republicans Marco Rubio and Ben Carson, have suggested they would.

While marijuana remains forbidden under federal law, President Barack Obama has allowed pot sales in states such as Colorado, Oregon and Washington that have legalized recreational marijuana under state law.

Weed advocates are watching the presidential race closely and hoping the next president follows Obama’s path on pot.

“The next administration has the ability to continue the position of the Obama administration in allowing this experiment to continue successfully,” said Chris Woods, owner of Terrapin Care Station, a growing chain of recreational marijuana stores in Colorado, with locations in Boulder and the Denver suburb of Aurora.

Jason Kinney, spokesman for the ballot campaign to legalize recreational marijuana in California, expressed faith that even the election of an anti-marijuana president like Rubio wouldn’t be a roadblock.

“Given the increasing bipartisan support within Congress for allowing states to make their own decisions about the issue, we are confident that the state of California will be allowed to implement the will of its people and create a tightly regulated, controlled and transparent system for the cultivation and sale of adult-use marijuana within its borders,” he said.

Congress, though, has largely been silent on the marijuana issue. While it blocked Washington, D.C. from creating a legal pot market, it has left enforcement issues up to the executive branch.

States are following a 2013 Obama administration Justice Department memo that lets them allow regulated marijuana sales as long as they take steps like working to keep kids from getting weed and preventing the distribution of marijuana to other states where it remains illegal.

I think there is a lot riding on California in terms of the response of the next president. John Hudak, senior fellow at the Brookings Institution

But that could change quickly. It would be administratively simple for the next president to order new Justice Department memos that reverse Obama’s acceptance of legal weed, said John Hudak, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution who has written extensively about marijuana.

Still, enforcing such a mandate and shutting down marijuana sales in the states would be an enormous federal law enforcement task, he said, especially if the new president also tried to stop medical marijuana, which is legal in 23 states and the District of Columbia.

None of the presidential candidates have explicitly threatened medical marijuana. But even shutting down recreational sales would be a big undertaking, Hudak said – particularly if the California initiative passes, and the state’s new system gets up and running before the new president acts.

Legalizing recreational marijuana sales in California, which has nearly 40 million people, would be a huge expansion. The biggest state so far to legalize is Washington, with about 7 million people.

“Shutting down the legal recreational systems is going to be quite difficult for any president. If California legalizes it becomes impossible,” Hudak said. “I think there is a lot riding on California in terms of the response of the next president.”

Marijuana advocates are also betting on politicians, even those who are drug warriors, hesitating to act against pot sales because polls show a majority of Americans support legalization.

Sen. Cory Gardner, R-Colo., who opposed his state’s legalization of pot, said he’s still waiting to know if pot’s availability has increased traffic accidents and homelessness. The state had more fatality accidents in 2015 than in 2014, but so did the United States as a whole. Gardner noted that polls show support for legalization went up after voters made recreational sales legal there in 2012.

Jeffrey Zinsmeister, executive vice president of Smart Approaches to Marijuana, a group that opposes legalization but wants to ease penalties for drug offenses, argues that the problems in states that have legalized are going to become apparent to the presidential candidates.

He said he’s hopeful the next president is going to enforce federal law and shut down recreational marijuana sales, although he deemed it too soon to predict the chances of that happening.

“What the candidates say on the campaign trail and what they do in office are often two very different things,” Zinsmeister said. “It seems to be an issue that, largely speaking, the candidates have tried to avoid.”

Marijuana is a big and fast growing business in the states that have legalized. Adult recreational use sales grew from $351 million in 2014 to $998 million last year, according to a new report from ArcView Market Research, a firm that specializes in promoting marijuana.

Taylor West, deputy director of the National Cannabis Industry Association, a trade group for the industry, said most presidential candidates either support legal marijuana or want to leave it to the states.

“I think we’re looking at a scenario where, if California passes an adult use initiative and commits to developing a regulated program, the likelihood is that they will be able to move forward,” West said.

Democrat Bernie Sanders is the biggest advocate of legalization among the presidential candidates. He’s won support from marijuana activists for introducing a bill for federal decriminalization.

His Democratic primary opponent, Hillary Clinton, has been more cautious on the marijuana issue. Clinton declined to take a position at an October debate but subsequently told a Denver television station that the federal government should not interfere with Colorado voters’ decision to legalize.

Republicans Donald Trump, Ted Cruz and Jeb Bush also have suggested marijuana should be left up to the states.

Republicans Rubio and Carson have taken a harder line, though, with both suggesting a federal crackdown.

Rubio, who is among the top tier of Republican candidates and finished a close third in the Iowa caucuses, has said in interviews that he’d “absolutely” enforce federal marijuana law in the states

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/nation-world/national/article61071217.html

Last edited by a moderator:

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I don't want legalization as I have seen how it goes elsewhere...I like things they way they are in cali....yeehaw..its not like anyone with a pulse cant get a rec as cheap as like 25 $.....I don't want to pay for plant tags,,i don't want inspections ,...I can see the future and its leading me back to how it was originally...glad I didn't register and on some list....aint Colorado getting like 25 percent tax??? gee I though we came and created the usa to avoid unjust taxation...marijuana is the new cash cow and its gonna get even more highly regulated ...moooooooooo

Who knows?

But, if they did, take a look at how they handle schedule 2 and 3 drugs...
Ketamine [sch. 3] for alcoholism and such. Not exactly easy to get a license.
Theres a phd doc in Florida that does it. Only one I know of.

I think it's pointless to speculate. It's hard to imagine if they did what it would mean for a plant so easily homegrown everywhere. There's a small paradox at play here. Dont give the feds too much credit, especially the prez

If they cant control it at schedule 1, why would they at schedule 2, or 3, I dont know, we'll see. I'll grow regardless and they are well aware of that.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Rand dropped out of the race. Bernie seems like the one person left who's outspoken for changing the weed laws. I'm not a fan, but if he wins at least that will happen.

Some candidates like Cruz and Trump seem at least partly open minded when it comes to legalization. Partly open minded would be better than people like Cristie who are 100% against it.

I'm voting for Gary Johnson again. He's the CEO of a weed edible company, and a person who believes in freedom when it comes to drugs. I don't expect him to win, but he's the only person I can support now that Rand is out of the race.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
that idiot Rubio saying that he would enforce federal prohibition in the states, does he realize how many more federal LEO that would require? state & local LEO cannot be forced to enforce federal statutes. all they can do is run a "show of force" bust using the DEA & hope to frighten everyone into compliance. large ops would be hit for news coverage, everyone else would probably continue on with business as usual.

bluntmassa

I'm down for federal legalization like Bernie but medical reclassification hell fucking no!! GW Pharmaceuticals will take over everything else will be illegal say good bye to dispensaries and hello to big pharma. If you haven't seen it Google GW Pharmaceutical patents they are all ready to take over the medical marijuana industry and set us back over a decade!! Only thing we can ask for is federal legalization without getting fucked.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im w tessarecting...

Still to early to speculate.

Cannabis rescheduled will still be cannabis.
A plant that can be grown just about anywhere on earth, with the proper seeds.

Cannabis needs de-scheduled...
Such it is treated like basil, thyme, tomatoes, potatoes, etc...

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think the real question should be...

Where is the seed market going to go after legalization?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I think the real question should be...

Where is the seed market going to go after legalization?

i'd bet on prices dropping after the market stabilizes. i can't WAIT to go by Home DePot & pick up seeds & seedlings for the spring planting season, myself. if they took it completely off of the schedules, weed & seed prices would drop dramatically on average. just like wine or beer, you can find cheap crap, decent grape, or a fine experience with lots of flavor... the last option will ALWAYS cost you, legal or not. look at ground beef versus ribeye etc. it is ALL beef...

KONY

Veteran
Who knows?

But, if they did, take a look at how they handle schedule 2 and 3 drugs...
Ketamine [sch. 3] for alcoholism and such. Not exactly easy to get a license.
Theres a phd doc in Florida that does it. Only one I know of.

I think it's pointless to speculate. It's hard to imagine if they did what it would mean for a plant so easily homegrown everywhere. There's a small paradox at play here. Dont give the feds too much credit, especially the prez

If they cant control it at schedule 1, why would they at schedule 2, or 3, I dont know, we'll see. I'll grow regardless and they are well aware of that.

There are doctors all across the country now using ketamine for severe depression.

Thats bad ass. K has potential for therapy for sure.

Lets hope they dont try to do the same with cannabis...not like they could anyway...
What I mean is make it so only doctors can be involved with it.

I think America would just laugh. I know I would.

bluntmassa

Im w tessarecting...

Still to early to speculate.

Cannabis rescheduled will still be cannabis.
A plant that can be grown just about anywhere on earth, with the proper seeds.

Cannabis needs de-scheduled...
Such it is treated like basil, thyme, tomatoes, potatoes, etc...

They can prescribe us Oxy but we can't produce our own opium.

Bubbamaniac

I personally feel the only reason it hasn't been reclassified because it will lead to full legalization and there just not ready for that yet sorry bastages lol!

bluntmassa

Make a bet?

Papavier Somniferum seed is available at damn near evety single nursury in the nation. And they're not illegal to grow either.

Key word. "Produce" read closer. And damn straight I will take that bet do what I told the other guy to try. What you got to bet? I'll put my house on it.

And by the way you need about an acre for a year supply.

Waxman

If Bernie wins I could picture him rescheduling it but then again politicians aren't exactly known for being truthful.