What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Will strains with a strong smell make a comeback after legalization?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Interesting. But somehow it just doesn't ring true. I don't think it's a consequence of more cannabinoids. I think they may be two completely unrelated products.
Look at the lab tests. The higher the cannabinoid content, the lower the terpene content. Seriously, it's why the 20%+ THC or CBD strains have so little aroma, even when I'm growing them.

Show me a lab test with 20%+ THC, which also has the terpene content of a well grown, high terp content, 10% THC strain. I'd love to see it. :D

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Come to think of it, my Original Glue barely had a smell. Good kick though.

Maybe the terpenes lay in the CBGA?

picture.php

CaptainDankness

There will definitely be stinkier weed, I'll bet anything on it. Already we are getting higher and higher THC someone got like 30% THC in a cup in LA.

Sure THC ain't terps but some breeders will focus more on the terpines.

PDX Dopesmoker

Every time you smell the weed, thats terps wafting away on the breeze. Smelly weed is offgassing it's gas faster than the other strains are. People who've been breeding for big flavor might be breeding plants that are less prone to terpene evaporation, maybe plants with less of the volatile, odoriferous terps and more of the tasty ones that can stick around until when you're smoking it 5 months after harvest, I can see how there might be a movement in the less odor direction even without the security issue being a question, however anyone who says big stinking skunkweed isn't around anymore just hasn't found it yet if they're actively looking.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I find that when I have a healthy living root zone full of beneficial bacteria and fungi I get better terps. I also find the same to be true when I feed the microbes with a combo of hi-brix, long change carbohydrate with raw sweet, a short change carbohydrate. There is also a great product called b’cuz bloom which I found helped a lot.

PDX Dopesmoker

A few years ago I grew a ton of trainwreck and Tahoe OG out side in 65 gallon smart pots. That was pretty fun.

Did you get anything with that smell? The TW & Headband mixed together made the most familiar odor coming off a pot plant I've smelled this century. Its clearly not the same plant or seed batch as whatever was going around at RFK in 1990, but its got very similar olfactory stimulants and whoopass THC power so its similar enough.
A time machine would be a good way to get the real RKS, have you tried time traveling yet? You might be able to travel in time if you smash two large black holes together and drive your spaceship so it passes directly between the two gravity wells right before the moment of impact and then take your first left, go sideways through time and ride the wave of expanding space back to an old Dead show. Bring an umbrella, wear rubber galoshes and ignore the group of people in front of the armory fighting over the last quaalude, thats just guerrilla theater.