What's new

Will science change cannabis?

B

BeAn

Isnt there already a way to make a clone from plant tissue, Tissue Culture?? :joint:

Maybe gene mapping or some freaky shit like that, like them dudes did with with humans..we can already clone Ganja so thats already taken. :sasmokin:

Be safe man. :sasmokin:

zamalito

Veteran
It's inevitable that it will be possible to clone a plant from a bud but I doubt the closet grower will be capable of doing that. The dea has already developed a technique where they can do a dna analysis on a bud. So now it's just a matter of injecting that dna into a cell.

G

they can also watch how it flows through the country, lets 'em know where to concentrate. Very valuable if you wanna be a dick.

B

Blunted22

i read in the canabible i think what bean is saying with tthe tissue culture. Maybe soon they can take tons of tissue cultures from outstandign genetics send it in mail (like seeds) and BAM no more pheno hunting you have an exact clone of whatever it was takin from.

I think it is more of a question as to what prohibition will do to the cannabis plant. It is eradicated in most places so it does not get a chance to breed and let mother nature work her magic. It's like wolves on the verge of extinction because their DNA pool is so limited. Offspring of parents with similar dna usually have less capable immune systems and other problems. Combining diverse dna helps create stronger offspring. Evolutionary, how much is prohibition harming the cannabis plant? It already shows great potential for treating many diseases and injuries. How much is being lost?

G

Yeah..wasn't Breeder Steve talking about that whole tissue culture stuff? Not sure if anything ever came of it. Personally, I think that there will DEFINITELY be advances in cannabis, but you'll still always be able to go back to basics. It's like outdoor growing...people can really dial in their environment indoors, but outdoor bud will always be just as good, if grown correctly in the right environment.

drrico

Cloning technologies, selective breeding and manipulation of EPIGENETIC factors (genome imprinting, methylation patterns, histone modification, blah blah blah), transposon mutagenesis and cetera...are, and will continue, to alter the population genetic structure of the Noble Herb. Some of us old timers have manipulated the gene pool for a long long time...

Is this a good thing? Yes and no.

I am very pleased by the resurgence in recognizing the value of landrace genetics (e.g. Madala) and hope to heck that there will continue to be archives of ancient and land-tested genotypes that are uncorrupted by the adventures of mad scientists (such as yrs trly). We should view the entire DNA SEQUENCE SPACE and the less well understood EPIGENTIC CODES as part of the palette of cannagen...from tinkering and from Ma Nature. The risk of commercial development of cannabis, as of food crops, arboculture, etc etc, is that genetics (etc) that develop in microniches are being overwhelmed by genetics (etc) developed in isolation from these niches.

It is all good...just context dependent.

I orta write a white paper on all this some time. Any interest?

Da Good Doc

hunt4genetics

Veteran
just like how foods are now being genetically modified, I'm sure cannabis will also be.
It will take some rouge botanist to pull this off. The legal athmosphere will have alot to do. I can see big break throughs happening in Europe and canada.

peace

cooter1

When I saw this topic and read the info, It was like a flashback to something I read before. Today it hit me after a couple of weeks trying to figure it out.
If anyone has a copy of Brave New World by Aldous Huxley laying around read the first few pages in to the first chapter. weird stuff

G

Neuronaut said:
I think they should splice the genes of Ak-47 with an Oak tree.

Hell, why your at it, why not make it a redwood tree.

CAMP would have no trouble finding it, but it would take them all day to cut down just one :joint: :headbange

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
Actually,the main method of reproducing virus-free strawberries is through tissue culture from the crowns. It may be possible to do the same thing with cannabis.

higgins

It is possible to tissue culture cannabis. I say this because I am doing it. And from a bud but better yet , part of the stem including a node. After about a month, tiny little bumps will break out like a lump of moss. Then this is transfered into another sterile jar and the lump will turn into tiny plantlets. Mine have not gotten that far yet but do have the little bumps getting bigger every day. higgins

willl colchicine treated f1 seeds (which have survived and lead to tetraploids during flower) have clones with the same genetic affects ?

will the 4n polyploidy be dominant and inherited to the seeds ?

is it possible to treat the f1/f2 seeds with colchicine again for better results ?

generally, do the larger the size of seeds lead to better results ?

are top end strains today originating from colchicine treated p1 seed parents ? ( the ones that survive at a low % rate anyway)

Why not genetically mod cannabis? Wouldn't it be fun to have a strain that is effectively bug and disease resisitant with 40% thc. I'm sure that a lot of hippie types might not go for it, but the more fearless would really have a ball. Most of the crap organic farmers say to malign GM foods is unfounded, it's not that dangerous, unless of course you just happen to be that one in a billion that gets sick, but I do believe it has been proven that GM tomatoes are better than organic ones due to not only the increase in lycopene but the enhanced mineral nutrition that high phosphorous inorganic ferts provide. Go science! Whoo!

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Professordank,
No problem go and eat genetically modified plants or smoke them if you want. But if your modified males pollinate my gals then I will hunt you down and treat you like the ignorant dog you are. Same with GM seeds, think about what they will pass onto normal plants wether they want it or not. I do not care if you grow or use GM Cannabis as long as it does not affect my crop near by. But I have zero confidence in you preventing any GM plants from allowing GM genes to escape, I don't even think you have thought about potential problems. Anyway it is much more likely that the government would put out GM pollen that was zero Cannabinoids, then people on this site making GM Cannabis crops. If you think GM tomatoes are better try my organic Brandywine tomatoes, or Pink from Russia, then say what the best tomatoes are. 100 year old heirloom varieties are the best for consumers, but the farmers want more profit not better quality tomatoes, wise up.
-SamS

Latest posts

Latest posts