What's new

Will PG&E's SmartMeters smoke out pot growers?

igrowone

Veteran
it doesn't sound like there are many positives for growers as smart meters get installed
but you'd think smaller growers probably won't be affected much
it takes more than electric for a warrant, as least in most cases
so it probably sounds worse than it actually is

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I checked into solar panels, $303K total, $189K out the door. I'll do so where I can keep them up for at least 6 years, but in the meantime grid power is cheaper.

I don't quite think its that easy to get a Judge to sign a warrant as some cannabis users think. But this new system will make a court case with electric records even stronger, showing light usage times of day, etc.. I wonder is how they can just collect this data because they are offering electric service to you, odiously they need to track costs but something so detailed... I cant believe they can do this legally without peoples permission. I'm sure there's a loophole.

I've always thought splitting your flower area in two and running one section at a time 12hrs on, is always better. We make the electric company rich I doubt much will change.

Peace :D

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if you are really that worried then just veg in one hut for 24 hours then flower in two huts, for 12 hours each. then you have even usage.

Then register that you have a computer server. even put a server service's sticker on the back of your car etc.

G

guest456mpy

Smart meters were designed to help the utilities control the electrical distribution system or "grid" so that we all get what we need when we need it. Different types of loads change the way the supply is regulated and controlled. The ability of the smart meter helps them see the types of loads and react to appropriately. This is just to make sure that we all get our 120 or 220 volt supply without significant voltage sags or other unwanted noise on the supply.

While the smart meters do have the potential to allow someone to pinpoint the info to sniff grows out I don't believe that it poses any immediate problem to growers, particular small and or legal ones.

Who can say what anyone may do in the future, but right now I think it's no sweat.

SKUNK420

I see most anger is directed at PG&E but the hard truth is PG&E is only doing it because of the push from the environmentalists aka Al Gore zombies. Yes PG&E has people who are in charge of finding new ways to create revenue by creating a new "peak and off peak power system" and charging accordingly might have something do with the invention of smart meters but I place my money on the environmentalists. I want to find out who is making the smart meters and who has money invested in those companies. What state senators and representatives have money invested in these technologies???????

CUZ WE GOT GUNZZZZ

Yeah I suppose thats true that you have firearms. But I've always taken the stance that if you're gonna try to kill someone and get away with it you wouldn't do it with a weapon that you have to register in the state to purchase. And call me old fashioned but in certain situations I feel like a fair amount of suffering is called for depending on the length and severity of the transgression.

osoloco69

Lol at PG&E giving up growers. The smart meters are so that PG&E can get rid of a few salaries cause the meter readers will be able to drive down the street and just click a button on the digital reader and they'll have you total monthly usage by each price times, and all time usage for that spot. I don't think PG&E cares at all about people who pay their bill. I have lived in a state where those digital meters were used and I never had any problems.

J

JackTheGrower

How many of you are making sure your friends are registered to vote in November? Are you?

That is the answer. This Fear tool is the only tool that works for prohibitionists.

I suggest we stop perpetuating the cycle of fear.