What's new

Will dispensaries ever carry long flower sativas?

I'm curious if anyone here thinks that clubs will start trying to market the old school low yield, flower forever strains. It seems like anyone who has perused this site a bit learns that some of the most coveted weed is the trippy sativas from other countries.

I live in Norcal and I've never seen anything offered. Bunch of stuff labeled haze that is clearly not the same thing, Lambsbread...same story, obviously a hybrid.

In the wine industry I work in, there are always small producers of every kind of rare grape or wine you can think of.

I just don't know if people will ever be educated enough to realize that its worth it to pay big bucks for buds that don't have the same bag appeal as cookies,etc...

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so do I...but most "growers" don't want to wait 14 weeks (or more) for a true sativa to mature.......but I am growing a Thai variety for headstash this year......I think it's Thai x Chocolope or something like that.............

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
this will be one of the nice consequences of legality in southern most states

some people will have a perfect environment for it

snooze

I've been trying to make this point to everyone that will listen. Until people are prepared to pay a lot more then what they are used to it will never happen.

I've tried telling people that if they want to try a 20 week sativa they need to pay more otherwise no one will ever sell/grow it. And the answer is always that I'm out of my mind. Well why would someone grow a low yielding exotic 20 week flowering strain when people no one is willing to pay $1 more then they would for an eight of OG kush or whatever 10 weeker brand name you want to insert.

Its unfortunate, but it will eventually change. I mean just look at the beer scene. People will pay crazy prices for heady beer these days, bourbon barrel aged stouts etc. Consumer demand drives supply.

Would you guys be ok with paying $100 for an eight of something really exotic? Love to hear the answer to that question from people on this forum.

True NLD growers are prepared for a labor of love which involves growing long flowering varieties and selecting their own, mainting the line themselves. Commercial operations need not apply. Time and patience are a reward onto themselves. We don't need dispensaries for this. It would be nice, but commercially a flop. Make the change yourselves, don't rely on someone else to do it for you.

Rinse

Veteran

Exactly, must old mexi lines etc still being grown in the southern states, Humboldt even can surely grow some pure satis.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
how would one price something like lambsbread ?,,,extremely long bloom period,,,low yield,,,,i would imagine it would need to be grown to order,,,,s2

idiit

Veteran
this is kinda what i'm up to. i sourced a lot of landrace sativas and i ran or getting to run them indoors for preview, early appraisals, clones, pollen, seeds. i'm running them outdoors in my environment where i can harvest all the way thru november (n lat) and some into dec.

i'm actually going against the indoor hydro craze. i'm going for high effects, potency, yield first and bag appeal second.

bud structure is a real bugaboo re yield and trimming for commercial landrace sativa strains. i'm looking for something to beef up my extreme sativas and not lose the up energetic high effects. for personal smoke bud structure does not even matter. all that matters is the quality.

outdoors you can grow literally tons. if and when the canna laws loosen up outdoor strains will have their place. this is happening in some places now. i can win just on price 'cause the yields are so huge outdoors but i want to win on quality smoke.

well cured golden tiger gets tremendous respect from those that have smoked her. gt is an atypical sativa high as she is very narcotic. i prefer the mt dom gt's but regular malawi dominate gt well cured is fantastic smoke for those that like her type of high. big yields outdoors.

i'm running some malawi ( 2 types, very different), durban, zamal, png dominate nana bouclou, nanan bouclou, cohiba pure and hybrids as well as another go at a chocolate strain i'm working on (chocolate hash plant/choco chiba paraguay) as well as some other landrace sativa strains.

i think there will be a lot of demand for landrace and adam sativas. price will probably and unfortunately be the reason for ppl to try them out initially.

That only happens in USA most guys and gals i know prefer tropical sativas over anything, but the bad thing about landraces is that you got to go through hundreds of seeds to find a single keeper... Usualy seeds from africa, colombia, paraguay, brazil,thailand, laos, arent stable, as these lines are not worked for the purpouse of the i door grower, these lines are usually mantained buy a village, or a familly.... And when you bring them indoor, big chances of finding many hermies, males, and females that smoke like hay, so you can see that for those who want to make money off of this, its really not game, when you can buy ten different haze hybrids that finish in half the time, with fat buds and no seeds....but hey, you can always do your own selection, I found my princess...Santa Martha colombian gold....18 weeks, for 30 grams

idiit

Veteran
^^ very true. two edged sword; what keeps most from being successful pays off handsomely for the few that succeed.

OakyJoe

TC Nursery est 2020
Veteran
Saw a few dispensaries with long flower sativa buds, seems like the price is okay for this long blooming type. nothing new to me.

Catatafish

Veteran

Wont these things mold up due to our summertime rain every afternoon or be destroyed bugs and such down here? Maybe have to grow like right about now or in fall?

Sorry if dumb question....i never grew outside in such states as they will publicly hang you in town square round these parts :)

Love me some 'tivas though

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Besides I'm sure that the niche already exists (in the same way there are people that love independent movies, same with the music genres or types of restaurants), dispensaries obvioulsy can't waste time and money with non-commercial stuff or exclussive strains that only a few people would purchase. Hollywood studios wouldn't probably ever release a movie that only a few outsiders will consume.

I think this is something that may change with the time as well and the new laws. As growers and smokers get to try different stuff and get more information and become more educated like cannabis gourmets, they will soon get tired of the bland and plain commercial kushes and hybrids as soon as they find their own criteria and personal taste aren't satisfied with them.

As a consequence people may start to get interested in trying brand new flavours and highs, something that most of the times you won't find in the common strains. They all came from the same few lineage families (blues, whites, chemdog, skunks, kushes and so on), so you won't get really surprised once you try a few strains of each in the same way you would if you try new different genetics. This is not something that only the oldschoolers are looking for right now. It also comes with the connoisseurism and each smoker's personal taste and character.

Some people will realize of the whole new world of diversity that cannabis may offer. From the true no-ceiling high of exotic lines, to the energetic effects of african strains, the narcotic indicas from the Hindu Kush range but also the medicinal Himachal Pradesh, North Indian and Himalaya strains. There is a whole range of different highs and flavours when one starts to explore different gentics.

If you have to eat fast food all the time, you will soon realize about how nice will be coming to a mediterranean restaurant from time to time or try some exotic asian food as well. I think it's the same with cannabis, most people just smokes to get stoned (in the same way we all love pizza and fast food) but soon they will start to wonder about different qualities to explore. Not all the people likes exotic food or all the kinds of exotic foods though. I do love japanese and chinese food but I can't stand the spicy indian or thai food for example. Sometimes I love good old mediterranean as well! But I would get tired of eating pizza and bbq all the time.

This reminded me as well to an article I've read time ago in an old High Times mag, they were speaking about how the afghan genes came and changed the whole scene. People in the 60-70s used to smoke to get high and stimulated (similar way to the use of LSD) while nowadays, people smoke to get totally stoned and couchlocked (stupifying strains that may remind to the Opium). It's a great analogy that may summarize the scene in a pretty accurate way.

Vibes.

idiit

Veteran
Wont these things mold up due to our summertime rain every afternoon or be destroyed bugs and such down here? Maybe have to grow like right about now or in fall?

Sorry if dumb question....i never grew outside in such states as they will publicly hang you in town square round these parts

great question. some landraces are extremely hardy. one facet of hardiness is mold resistance. another facet is bug resistance. some areas will grow great for a strain whereas another area won't. some years work well for a strain and other years don't. remember landraces are nature bred od strains.

growing outdoors is very risky in canna unfriendly territories. this is why so many growers went indoors and went to indoor strains to grow indoors. most indoor strains don't do well outdoors. some do.

you pretty much have to do your research, get some experience in your od grow area.

keeping plants hidden from the poopoo and thieves usually translates into gardens so hidden even the sun and fresh breezes can't get to the plants resulting in lots of mold/bud rot.

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
it's funny, I went into a few dispensaries in the bay area and asked to see their sativa varieties and they all showed me Trainwreck and Sour Diesel everywhere I went. HaHa, they are schooling people about sativa's and telling them that these crosses are fully sativa. And all these youngsters working the counter are herb experts and they have NEVER truly smoked a 100% sativa.
Lord forgive them for they know not what they are talking about.

CalcioErba2004

CalErba
Veteran
I have thought about it, we had a really nice Tom Hill Haze plant that produced magic buds at 16 weeks. I had a plan down to harvest every 4 weeks with 4 1kw lights. I think it could easily made harvests of 2lbs a light. The only problem is the initial 4 months of no money coming in. Most people can only budget for 2 months, power is expensive, rent, water, nutes. Unless you are getting a premium on the price, its not worth it to most people.

I have met young growers that don't really know anything about the plant. I worked in a dispensary and the best plant in there to me was this bush that had small buds all spread out, very sativa. The kids tending to the grow told me that plant was shit and that this other indica dominant plant was better because the nugs were solid and chunky. I told them that the sparsly budded plant would blow their fuckin mind and I finally got them to try it. They both couldnt stand up after a joint. The next day they made hash from it, fuckin amazing stuff and it sold out in about 2 hours.

I think that there is a niche market but its not really cost effective to do at the moment because the PnL margins would be too close.
"Why wait 16 weeks for 1 crop when you can grow an indica and get 2 havests in that time and make more money?"
I have heard that argument so many times and I don't have an answer because smokers don't give a fuck, they just want fire for a decent price. The nuances of highs aren't important to the masses. Working as a budtender I have noticed that old exotic flavors are mostly restricted to older heads who are looking for that awesome weed they got in the 60s and 70s. :joint:

buttyrekka

it's up to the consumer.if all you buy is coca cola/mcdonald's/budwieser/kush, that's what farmers will produce.
if you the consumers want something more the micro brewers/artisans/delis and lastly farmers will produce.
it's sad that most people go with the status quo.
but there's allways people who want something different.it's up to us farmers to always strive for something better/different/new maybe try to educate/help the consumer..
hopefully legalisation will improve variety.
maybe one day they'll be dispensaries like fine wine shops....would sir like to try this vintage purple haze circa 1969? or a ounce of the zombie black maybe a nepalese temple ball!!!!

Latest posts

Latest posts