What's new

Will certain strains NOT FLOWER if the dark period temperatures are too high?

Q

quokka

Hello Icmag,

I have been having weird results, i'm using a tent in a room that is very close to pitch black during the day.

But, i don't have a cooler in there so it gets hot during the day (which is when i have my lights off, because of the heat)

I have some plants that are flowering normally, solid and lumpy, and others (similar hybrids, not long flowering sativas) that just don't seem to want to flower??

Like 3 weeks into 11-13. I'm using 11 on 13 off to help cope with the heat, not really concerned if there is a loss of yield.

Has anyone had this problem before? It can get uncomfortably warm in there during the day (night for plants), but there is enough air circulation and the look healthy generally...........

Any input, please?

Midwest sticky

Resident Smartass & midget connoisseur
When you say high temps how high are we talking? Super duper high temps might stress the plant enough to make it take longer to start budding up but I've never had it happen to me.
How hot is it in there? Some strains take a while to kick into flowering, they'll get their asses in gear sooner or later.

Midwest sticky

That might cause em to take a bit longer but my guess is it has more to do with the strain you're growing. I wouldn't worry just yet,if you can do anything to get those temps down do it that high of temp will stress them out.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
No exp my self, so only a disposable comment, but co2 is supposed to help plants deal with higher temps better. Just a thought for the future

Q

quokka

That is not a healthy environment for cannabis regardless of light or dark, you need to change things!

Yeah, i understand this, i won't get optimum results without optimum conditions.

Things take time.............

I was just curious if the heat will stop a plant from flowering at all even though it is still reasonably healthy looking.

Thanks again.

Midwest sticky

Delay flower onset possibly, but no it won't stop them from flowering. But get those temps down ASAP. Now isn't the time to be stressing them.

Q

quokka

I think i might just have to have some patience and see if they will eventually flower properly.........

It's just weird that some are flowering normally and some just put the odd pistil. (They aren't long flowering sativas, and there is already 1 sativa flowering nicely)

I would love to put a nice air conditioner in the room (and my own house and land and new car) but i can't afford much.

Q

quokka

I'm used to outside growing, so i'm really a novice indoors.........

I was diappointed by the quality of my Homebox Growlab, it has pinholes and tiny tears where they have sewn velcro on. Very Disappointed, seing as i thought they were a good brand.

It might take a little bit more effort to make one that is truly light proof but that's the whole idea isn't it??

I'll have to do a lot more research before 'wasting' money on a tent. (which is almost what it feels like)

Midwest sticky

Yeah light leaks are no good. But they will start to flower soon I really think your stressing out about nothing. Some take longer then others to bud up.

J-zee

My out door see's 100 deg f at night, when im watching the ten o clock news at night sometimes it still over a hundred out. Turned out huge as always.

Id try to adjust if possible and moving air is better than not. Dont forget to keep watered or ul be sorry

b8man

Veteran
I've had a plant that was in similar conditions to yours that just refused to flower. I gave it 6 months - always looked like it was about 2 weeks into flower, grew big, but never progressed. It could have been the heat, could have been the strain.

Q

quokka

Yeah, i'm not inexperienced at flowering plants, my knowledge is reasonably limited though, but i know when something fishy is going on......

I'm just, i don't know, stupified how a good company can't make a darkroom (tent) actually dark?? It's not rocket science.

Q

quokka

I'm not sure moses, but i think you might be onto something. :)

Clones will flower faster than plants from seed generally, is this what you were thinking?

The clones or reveg plants are flowering a little better i think.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Yes, did they all have clearly visible pre flowers when you flipped them? In other words had they already declared sex when you put them in 12/12?

Granger2

Veteran
What are you temps during lights on? Do you have air passing thru your tent, intake and exhaust? If you have the tent in a room that has no air exchange, it will be really low on CO2 -granger