What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

wild weed

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
No, all I have seen is ditch weed in the Midwest. The story is hemp was used a lot in WWII and it was transported by railways and the seeds dropped out beside the tracks. I tried it once but all I got was a headache and sore throat. My home town gathered the feral hemp every year and made huge burn piles. Birds would try to fly through the smoke and dropped dead on the other side so I guess there was something in the smoke.

wildskunk

The reason I asked about this is because I found some ditch weed that smelled like skunk long before there was any afghani etc here. It was around 1970 in the Illinois River valley. There were a bunch of plants growing on the edge of a corn field where it had been growing since WW2 apparently. Pulled a few up stuffed them in the trunk of my car and went home. Hung it up in a hedge row and forgot about them. Two weeks later I remembered and thought I’d try it. Coughed the first two hits out and managed to hold in the third. Ten to fifteen minutes later I was absolutely majorly stoned and very astonished. And no it wasn’t cultivated. And I have never heard of or found any like it since. I guess it just genetically freaked out. The plants were heavily seeded with beautiful tiger striped seed that I planted that spring the results of which was totally worthless like all the other wild ditch before and since.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Hello and welcome friend. Back in the day I remember stories of people putting potent males or domesticated seed in those Cannabis ruderalis areas. Then returning years later to harvest potent weed. How true it was I don't know because they were just stories I heard. Maybe that's what you got a hold of. The ruderalis seeds are used today to make autos that are very potent.

outsidegrower

Premium user
Veteran
Hello and welcome friend. Back in the day I remember stories of people putting potent males or domesticated seed in those Cannabis ruderalis areas. Then returning years later to harvest potent weed. How true it was I don't know because they were just stories I heard. Maybe that's what you got a hold of. The ruderalis seeds are used today to make autos that are very potent.
I tried to do this for several years by placing mandala #1 males in feral midwest hemp patches. It does make the feral stuff look and smell way less hempy but the potency was half of the mandala (or less). It sort of works, you have to keep pollinating the patch every year with domestic otherwise it just reverts back to hemp.

Spaventa

Veteran
I suppose it reverts back because the mandala genes weren’t as tough as the ditch weed and massively outnumbered in the reproduction lottery.
Expecting otherwise I’d like expecting a few male Chinese immigrants to make all of Americas next generation studious, industrious and tiny. Not gonna happen.

Midbio

The reason I asked about this is because I found some ditch weed that smelled like skunk long before there was any afghani etc here. It was around 1970 in the Illinois River valley. There were a bunch of plants growing on the edge of a corn field where it had been growing since WW2 apparently. Pulled a few up stuffed them in the trunk of my car and went home. Hung it up in a hedge row and forgot about them. Two weeks later I remembered and thought I’d try it. Coughed the first two hits out and managed to hold in the third. Ten to fifteen minutes later I was absolutely majorly stoned and very astonished. And no it wasn’t cultivated. And I have never heard of or found any like it since. I guess it just genetically freaked out. The plants were heavily seeded with beautiful tiger striped seed that I planted that spring the results of which was totally worthless like all the other wild ditch before and since.
Ive always thought about this...with all the feral hemp out there in the midwest there has to be patches and random stand out plants that produce some thc, especially because these have not been selected for hemp traits for decades and decades, some of their feral traits may include thc production

Kveldulf

Ive always thought about this...with all the feral hemp out there in the midwest there has to be patches and random stand out plants that produce some thc, especially because these have not been selected for hemp traits for decades and decades, some of their feral traits may include thc production
Granted, I’m still trying to sort all this genetic stuff out, but seems to me if there’s no need in, say, my area in Minnesota for UV protection, which is what I’ve been told is the role of THC, then that trait wouldn’t need to express itself as a defense mechanism.(or whatever other role it fills)
I could be way off, as I said I don’t understand it all yet Just going by what I have tried to put together myself. I too have found stands of feral hemp and also gone back after three or four generations to stands that were planted of decent weed only to see it revert. Seems this country in particular has no conditions that would trigger the plant to do anything different.