What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wild Ruderalis from Austria

spontanea

I don't think there is real perennial Cannabis but as bf80255 said any non auto strain can be reveged, it is important to remove the buds because they are producing hormones responsible for senescence.

spontanea

And about the plants with big buds, I posted them to show some unusual ones, but they are not representative of the population, here some pictures of more "typical" ruderalis :

:tiphat:

therevverend

Veteran
Great post nice pictures Spontanea. Lucky find. The seeds you are collecting from these plants have value. That at any given time some of the plants male and female are flowering throughout the season proves their wildness or at least feral nature.
I don't buy that all ruderalis or escaped hemp strains are always low THC. I would expect in a wild/feral population there would be a wide range of phenotypes ranging from almost no THC to midlevel potency and also variable amounts of CBD.
15 years ago I grew a patch with seeds from California most of them were main run finished in late September. Two were autoflower finished in mid July. They looked just like your sterile seedless bud. They weren't as potent as the main run drug types but had a nice clear headed high.
Many of your plants have autoflower phenotypes I've seen over the years. There is a tendency for buds to run keep throwing out fan leaves as they flower or to sprout new vegetative growth out of a bud.

spontanea

Yes, I've seen that too : plants keep flowering and shooting new shoots but I've noticed two different patterns : new shoots of calyx grow on buds giving it a very "spiky" look, the other ones have new shoots with calyx and sometimes leaves on it, it looks similar to the Dr. Greenspoon phenotype, just like a plant that has been reveged during flowering. I'll try to make a picture if I find a good one.
About the potency I think we're on the same page, there is two factors in my opinion : the amount and size of trichomes which varies alot and determine the cannabinoid/plant matter ratio. This is easy to see in the field. The other factor is the proportion of cannabinoids which I can not determine.
I've done some handrubbed "Charas" once from different plants and it was not very strong but it tasted great.

therevverend

Veteran
I've seen the two different patterns also.
Describing the high is difficult because it's always subjective. I'd describe it as "primitive" not refined like drug cultivars. Not as long lasting or psychedelic more of a happy head buzz.
Would be interesting to send some to the lab for analysis see what the cannabinoid/terpene profiles are. Might find a valuable unique characteristic.

mofeta

Veteran
Great thread.

I bet you could fund your research with this.

If you set it up with Skip, you could have a business offering these seeds.

You would collect the seeds from individual plants, documenting the collection with photos, notes on smells, habit, environment, date and so forth. I think on most plants the number of seed would be pretty small, making for just a few packs, or even just one, of seeds in each lot. You could even smoke the chaff and report on the effect (or lack thereof) that it had on you mood and cognition, body sensations, analgesic effects and so on.

I would definately buy some.

"Spontanea Semina" hmmm, maybe "Wildsamen" I don't know. You could come up with a clever name of some type to market the seeds.

spontanea

Ya, aber ein Strain würde ich das nicht nennen, Landrasse auch nicht da Rasse auf einen menschlichen Einfluss hindeutet. Es ist eine Population oder eine subspecies je nach dem ;) Wo ungefähr lebst du?

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
This looks more like fasciation (cresting) to me ;) . That's just an anomaly of the apical meristem leading to a flat growing tip.

Keep on posting spontanea! We're eagerly awaiting your 50th post :) .

spontanea

Hey there,

I am sorry for not being active on this forum these past months but I have been busy, after this loooong absence I come to show you a few new finds.

This one has a "classic" looking phenotype, it has an impressive bud production for a ruderalis. Unfortunately you can not smell it, it smells very strong like a mix of gasoline and vomit (in a good way ^^),

same one a bit closer, quiet a few trichomes

Now this one is very weird, it is actualy a female, you can see it on the structure but instead of seeds popping out of the calyxes, only staminate male flowers... this happens sometimes, some plants show some hermi traits with a few male flowers here and there but it is the first time I see a plant with a male flower in every single calyx, not a single seed in the plant (unfortunately I couldn't take a cutting but I hope I find something similar again next year because some interesting ideas came to me afterwards :s).

If you look closely you can see the staminate flowers growing from the calyx :

More comming soon.
Greetings,
Spontanea

E

Eye

Spontanea:
On your pictures I can clearly see some signs of human civilization though. Are you sure there are no industrial hemp farmers in that region? You know the pollen can fly quite afar and in Austria the industrial hemp industry is pretty strong.

Last edited:

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Yeah there were many, growing next to a cabbage field close to Vienna. The plants are everywhere, usually growing next to to corn and sunflowers. The pictures are from later reproductions so not the natural environment.

It's hard to say how ancient these populations are, some probably go back millenia. Narrow leaves are very common in ruderal populations, these plants won't get you high but make good meds.

spontanea

Yes there is plenty of wild hemp in eastern europe, each spot is different and open polination is of course mixing everything yet i have noticed that after a culture of "industrial hemp" (which gets polinated also in a certain proportion by polen from feral populations) from year to year the phenotype of remaining plants on the side of the field tend to have more and more "ruderalis" traits...

spontanea

And here the "rocket" pheno in early flowering, I realy like this one, lots of very long and thin leaves, it looks hairy :