What's new

wild in the caribbean .

sog army

wow.. this is one of the greatest threads ive seen in a while..

bigups man.. keep on keeping on.. we need more people in the world like you.

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Very nice pics and thread (even though I consider the introduction of foreign strains as a total heresy). I miss those great buds from St Lucia and St Vincent. That's some of the best imported ganja we used to get here in France.

Irie!

Awesome thread Ganja Baba, love to see those monsters sativas dancing in the wind. :rasta:

I'm in south amerika ,nearly on the equator so your thread is very intresting to me.
I also grow in the bush but still had problems with hunters/rippers so i stopped grow local landraces as they are coming too tall or wide ( rippers can spot them from far) and are taking too much time.

Mriko i understand your point of view about the introduction of foreign strain polluting the local landraces but those guys are farmers working to feed their family, not little ganja growers growing for their own.

So if they can grow an hybrid in four or five month from seed instead of 6 month to one year for the local sativa, it's a big improvement for their business.

Less time in the field means also more security , less chances to get ripped or busted.
I live in south amerika and grow landraces (not the local one) and hybrid as well and i don't feel guilty at all cause the bush is so thick here that pollen won't go far.

Plus the country is f%ck%ng big and there 's only a very few people growing sat/indica hybrid here.

Sometime the cultivars needs to be improved too, most of the local landraces are weak here, low yielding and taking forever to bloom so a little hit of haze, colombian gold,C99 or burmese for example will just make them better.

Anyway too much indica crosses won't work here in the tropics, 50/50 sat/indica ratio is the maximum, more indica in the ratio will induce the plants to autoflower too soon to have a decent yield.

One Love from french Guyana :rasta:

G

guest123

nice thread ganja baba , love the colourful pictures and the pineapples growing with the herb ...
i agree totally with your statement lambsbread on growing hybrids , in fact its a little selfish of us to expect them not to want something more viable as a cash crop , and can be grown in the ""off season"" ...
preservation of cannabis strains is the last thing on those guys mind id imagine ,, like u say lambsbread ,, getting food on the table is way more important to them ....

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Then why not teach them selection ?
wallyduck, there's no such thing as "off season" planting in the caribbeans (well, I talking about the the Lesser Caribbeans, of which St Vincent & Lucia are part of), as there's one harvest around September/October (long flowering strains, planted at "Springtime"), the other one coming in February/March (short flowering strains planted late Sept/earlyOctober), and both cycles are done with strains which are adapted to the timely climatic conditions (rainy/dry season).

Irie !

G

guest123

well really there is an off season , the dry season would be the season where typically the yeild would not be as good as the wet season haul ,, ... the drawback is that the wet season herb is not as good as the herb grown when there is very little to no rain ...
id wonder do they use the same seed for both times of year ???
certainly a fun project ...

Ganja baba

Veteran
mriko said:
wallyduck, there's no such thing as "off season" planting in the caribbeans (well, I talking about the the Lesser Caribbeans, of which St Vincent & Lucia are part of), as there's one harvest around September/October (long flowering strains, planted at "Springtime"), the other one coming in February/March (short flowering strains planted late Sept/earlyOctober), and both cycles are done with strains which are adapted to the timely climatic conditions (rainy/dry season).

Irie !

we have teached them selection , it is easy to isolate males and females ...
when go to different plantations the weed is similar but not the same , subtle changes in smells and highs , my guy keeps his long flowering sativas on the top slope as he dont want them to be pollinated urly ...
Indicas and week sativs dont survive without add watering and it is hard to water 2000 and more plants in the jungle without a stream near by and cops seeing it ... but if watered alot more other strains would survive ....
The weed is better and not indica at all since i gave them seeds 3 years ago . The thing is only the really hardy plants survive and they are all ways big rooting sativas , so even if you had 1000 indica plants only a hand full would be worth growing and the yield would be tiny …
You cant through seeds down as the birds get them all every time .
They even got into my friends house and opened a bag of weed and eaten all the seeds lol … So wild natural populations of herb are never heard of ..
selection is the only way these guys grow ... my guy is making multiple crosses for me I will have the seeds soon . Cant wait to see what they are like indoors .... I told him to work the short sativas and the long ones separately .

Last edited:

Ganja baba

Veteran
wallyduck said:
nice thread ganja baba , love the colourful pictures and the pineapples growing with the herb ...
i agree totally with your statement lambsbread on growing hybrids , in fact its a little selfish of us to expect them not to want something more viable as a cash crop , and can be grown in the ""off season"" ...
preservation of cannabis strains is the last thing on those guys mind id imagine ,, like u say lambsbread ,, getting food on the table is way more important to them ....

hey wally been checking your stuff out for years , thanks for making it round to my thread . in all honesty they have so many plants at so many stages all in the same fields there is a constant flowering buds every where , i dont think they think about quick flowering plants they just chop um when they are done some are quick but they all smell about the same ....
they have def been getting better tasting and quicker crops in though , and more wieght to the plants . but they still smell lucian , one guy said weed hasnt been the same for 20 years then 3 years ago it all got better , he didnt know i left seeds and he was a friends dad who used to be a planter in his early days .... i think adding good genetics isnt such a bad thing .
cheers wally .

thanks londin , mriko and lambsbreth.

Ganja baba

Veteran
wallyduck said:
well really there is an off season , the dry season would be the season where typically the yeild would not be as good as the wet season haul ,, ... the drawback is that the wet season herb is not as good as the herb grown when there is very little to no rain ...
id wonder do they use the same seed for both times of year ???
certainly a fun project ...

there is a rainy and dry season ..... in the dry season some of the plants can get to knee hight cause they havnt had any water ... chopping in october gives the best buds .... the light drops an hour at some point , this is the little crop season , the plants stay short and flower straitaway with just an hour light difference .... i think the herb seems better from the dry season cause we are smoking the longer flowering sativas as they will be the ones that handle the dry ... the high is def different in the longer flowering ones .....
i have found these sativas to give a very long high , followed by dry and red eye , then monged to sleep ... like on trancs lol ,,, really strong stuff ...

do you think it possible to breed a webbed foot sativa from your ducks foot
as i have plenty of p1s ,may be easy to isolate the web from p1 that would really freek the locals out lol ....
they want me to bring some king of purple sativa strain . any one got any suggestions ?

Ganja baba

Veteran
mriko said:

Irie !

ever thing you said is spot on mate appart from the strains , they dont choose different strains for different crops , the seed is all the same ,but they do do heavy selection for there seeds and the really long flowering plants are deseeded seperatly ,, this long pheno comes out in the gene pool even if selected out ive been told ... there is a slight light hour change by 1 hour i was told ... after the october crop they plant out
they loose loads in floods , by spring time the really pure long sativas will be going into flower and will finish any thing upto october again ..

Ganja baba

Veteran
Lambsbreath said:
Awesome thread Ganja Baba, love to see those monsters sativas dancing in the wind. :rasta:

I'm in south amerika ,nearly on the equator so your thread is very intresting to me.
I also grow in the bush but still had problems with hunters/rippers so i stopped grow local landraces as they are coming too tall or wide ( rippers can spot them from far) and are taking too much time.

Mriko i understand your point of view about the introduction of foreign strain polluting the local landraces but those guys are farmers working to feed their family, not little ganja growers growing for their own.

So if they can grow an hybrid in four or five month from seed instead of 6 month to one year for the local sativa, it's a big improvement for their business.

Less time in the field means also more security , less chances to get ripped or busted.
I live in south amerika and grow landraces (not the local one) and hybrid as well and i don't feel guilty at all cause the bush is so thick here that pollen won't go far.

Plus the country is f%ck%ng big and there 's only a very few people growing sat/indica hybrid here.

Sometime the cultivars needs to be improved too, most of the local landraces are weak here, low yielding and taking forever to bloom so a little hit of haze, colombian gold,C99 or burmese for example will just make them better.

Anyway too much indica crosses won't work here in the tropics, 50/50 sat/indica ratio is the maximum, more indica in the ratio will induce the plants to autoflower too soon to have a decent yield.

One Love from french Guyana :rasta:

i agree mate , a lot of the good old days have gone , before, large well managed plantations inhabited the world , land race strains were cultivated to perfection , now it is a dying trade with only small pockets of the world are still producing good herb .....there is little or no advancement in the amount of top grown herb from previous hot spots ... the best places of old , dont grow enough and knowledge is getting lost ...…

20 years ago strains were more abundant and cultivated ....
like lambsbreath said .... his local land race is getting tired ,stringy twiggy with no smell and taste , i see this every were , weed has basically been left to self select .... so when you add some new genetics you get a lot of throw back , you brake the chain of the plant just surviving and kick it in the ass to start re selecting again ... the genes get mixed up and new combo will become present ... still smelling similar to the original land race ....
Thai plants are the way forward for the caribbean , they will easily thrive and keep the sativa going ...
nice photos mate .
is french gyana brazil mate ...
my wife as relitives in gyana ..
what does the local weed smell taste like ...

Last edited:
G

Nice thread, amazing plants :wave: real rasta :D Peace from Poland
8946shaman1_16_09.JPG

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is a great thread. :) Thank you for sharing the pictures of your lovely ladies. You make me want to pack a bag with my camera and come visit!

Peace you and yours,
cc

C

Chamba

it's not that difficult to extend the photoperiod in the bush.

all you need is an hour or two of light between 7 and 10 pm each day and the seedlings, mothers and clones will stay in veg mode....one way is to run several 25 watt CFL lights from a truck battery or a small generator that runs on petrol...grow the seedlings in tall but slim pots so you can fit more of them under the lights, then plant out into prepared plots enriched with organic ferts and good drainage..raised beds or mounds are best for high rainfall areas too.

for those who are new to tropical or subtropical growing : when growing most modern strains, note that they really need their veg time extended so they get to a decent size before flowering (which is just about 95% of seeds sold today) ..

when you plant tthese modern cultivators in the bush they will immediately trigger into flowering (usually regardless of size or age), so it's best to time the planting out so they will finish during a dry month.

if you time it so they will be flowering anytime during the high rainfall and humidity months, then they will mold ..that's a for sure, not maybe.

generally speaking, I find that long flowering sativa seedlings are best planted in Spring and Summer and harvested later in the year or when ever they are ripe.

and modern hybrid strains are best vegged for at least 3 ~ 5 weeks for SOG. one stalker, close together growing (or for 8+ weeks and trimmed if you want bigger bushes) then planted in the bush in the Summer Fall and Winter, even late Winter so the weather will be drier during flowering

happy growing.

Last edited:
G

Given the ammount of available sunlight in St Lucia, A couple of 100w solar panels would do the job nicely, you owuld also need a regulator and a battery array, this stores the power then when the light falls to a certain level, an LDR sensor turns on the lights, extending the photoperiod each day. I could rig something like that up in a few hours. It's just a larger version of those solar powered garden lights you can buy.

G

ganja baba said:
they want me to bring some king of purple sativa strain . any one got any suggestions ?

I have, Purple Afghan, it's 10 weeks indoors, sativa heady high, not very indica at all, and very purple:

DSCF0014.jpg

DSCF0025.jpg

DSCF0026.jpg

DSCF0033.jpg

DSCF0011.jpg

Drop me a txt or a msg mate and I'll make sure you have the PA genes to take to the caribbean!

krepis

Inspirational Ganja baba!

Also very nice photos you have taken, can feel the vibes from such distant paradise with ease & i'm surprised Caribbees is so well presented here. Keep on doing your thing.

Latest posts

Latest posts