What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Whys a minivan take only 24 hours to build but they cost like 30k?

R

randude101

The old rule of Supply and Demand is a very Natural Law. If you have enough money you buy it, of not you don't. Seller has to make adjustments until it gets sold. If it cost too much to make then your product is not viable and you stop producing it.

Government Intervention is Not Natural, whether it be subsidies or bailouts or whatever. It is an artificial way to sustain a business of supply and demand.

So the government gives a major employer (voters) money to sustain itself. No reductions in salaries or parts, just more capital to continue a business-as-usual that has proven to fail. So those that are still working because of this bailout are okay financially, and maybe they can afford a car, and feel a responsibility to buy one in fact. However, you still have a bad economy, one where a family may try to get another year out of an older vehicle. The sticker on the new car is about the same as before, which is too high as well. In a short time the businesses that were bailed out are in trouble again, poor sales. What do you do then? Bail them out again?

Government has no business getting involved with nature, like supply and demand.

There it's not like some guy picks up a rock off the ground and voila! hammers together a car in 24 hrs? engineering, parts, raw materials, advertising, shipping, sales, etc, all need to make money off these, and from start to finish, I would guess you are talking months from the time the first parts get made to when a vehicle actually hits the lot. 24 hours is probably just the final assembly.

UM, Why would you pay 200 dollars for seeds when most people throw them away?

It's R&D people.

Seriously, we've been over this before in the "what should weed really cost?" thread!

R

randude101

You know my father helped design the 747 in the 60s.

That plane goes for $220,000,000.00

Now you have $20,000,000.00 just in engines. It has 600 pounds of paint on it. It is a wonder that thing can even fly. I played basketball in the plant and they have one there for mock-up. I would look at and wonder how that beast ever gets off of the ground.

A plane that was designed 40 years ago sells for $220M. I was in a place one time looking at 6 brand new ones by the door ready for delivery... $1.2B worth of airplane.

It is a lot of things:
Cost of production
Production Facilities
Cost to develop other lines is worked in
taxes
Lots and lots of stuff to add up

Still, I have never seen an industry that was so fat. My travel accounts, the parties we had, the freebees and other things. No other industry could support such a lavish lifestyle.

eglider

Still, I have never seen an industry that was so fat. My travel accounts, the parties we had, the freebees and other things. No other industry could support such a lavish lifestyle.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air bus is going to cure that problem ...lol

Latest posts

Latest posts