Forum GSC
picture.php

Dos-si-dos
picture.php

picture.php

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
The problem is lugging in all that stuff. It's a lot easier moving a highly concentrated fertilizer out to the middle of nowhere than it is to carry in many pounds of manure and other organic stuff.

wheelbarrow at nite is your friend, gather organic stuff at the site and tote in the rest. watch out for trail cams tho..:biggrin:

i made this trip over a hundred times this season up and down hills and dragged through water and mud in the swamp.
lost hella weight, my pants are still loose but my stash is way full.
picture.php

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
The problem is lugging in all that stuff. It's a lot easier moving a highly concentrated fertilizer out to the middle of nowhere than it is to carry in many pounds of manure and other organic stuff.

That's why I dig my holes first. I carry in a drill, auger, 2 extra batteries and premixed ferts in a bucket (chicken pellets, Myke, gaia green, guano, d lime, kelp meal, blood/bone meal, large flake or stone cut oatmeal, water crystals).

picture.php
picture.php

Oh... and stupid me forgot to bring drinking water once. DON'T FORGET YOUR DRINKING WATER!! If I dig a lot of holes I bring a lunch too.

If you're only putting in a dozen or so plants, There's no reason you can't do it all in one shot.

I put in hundreds. If I don't cage I lose 80%, so I drop off cages and buckets of ferts in the winter with a snowmobile or atv in the fall.

BTW, setting up a pond liner is a great way to have water available in spring for your plants. Fills with snow and spring rain for your seedlings.

HorseBadoritiz

No mention of any soil tests? Check out slownickle's cec thread. Then check out the poster's threads that have listened to him. Then get some soil tests, lol!

Animals will go for fishy products. They'll dig plants up looking for it, but if you plant an actual fish at the bottom of the hole (at least 2'), it seems to throw them off. And, the wider hole advice is the way to go in my experience.

When the plants get bigger, fish hydrolysate works, I think fish emulsion is a lame excuse for using scraps.

What part of the world are you in? Could make a difference.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
No mention of any soil tests? Check out slownickle's cec thread. Then check out the poster's threads that have listened to him. Then get some soil tests, lol!

Animals will go for fishy products. They'll dig plants up looking for it, but if you plant an actual fish at the bottom of the hole (at least 2'), it seems to throw them off. And, the wider hole advice is the way to go in my experience.

When the plants get bigger, fish hydrolysate works, I think fish emulsion is a lame excuse for using scraps.

What part of the world are you in? Could make a difference.

What kind of fish you thinkin'?

Also, it just seems like many soil tests you can buy are a crapshoot. It seems like I'd have to collect and send several dozen to a university agricultural lab.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
That's why I dig my holes first. I carry in a drill, auger, 2 extra batteries and premixed ferts in a bucket (chicken pellets, Myke, gaia green, guano, d lime, kelp meal, blood/bone meal, large flake or stone cut oatmeal, water crystals).

View Image View Image

Oh... and stupid me forgot to bring drinking water once. DON'T FORGET YOUR DRINKING WATER!! If I dig a lot of holes I bring a lunch too.

If you're only putting in a dozen or so plants, There's no reason you can't do it all in one shot.

I put in hundreds. If I don't cage I lose 80%, so I drop off cages and buckets of ferts in the winter with a snowmobile or atv in the fall.

BTW, setting up a pond liner is a great way to have water available in spring for your plants. Fills with snow and spring rain for your seedlings.

What does the oatmeal do?

Also, are the augers sturdy? I read lots of reviews on amazon where people reported that the augers were breaking in compact soil.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
wheelbarrow at nite is your friend, gather organic stuff at the site and tote in the rest. watch out for trail cams tho..:biggrin:

i made this trip over a hundred times this season up and down hills and dragged through water and mud in the swamp.
lost hella weight, my pants are still loose but my stash is way full.
View Image

You've got some killer plants man, and thanks a bunch for taking the time out to write up everything and provide me with a bunch of different amendment possibilities.

The wheelbarrow is one thing I can't do, unfortunately. The wheel would make too obvious of a trail in my neck of the woods.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Can anyone recommend any Poor Man's Probiotics?

Is Mycorrhizal enough, or do I need the full spectrum of probiotics?

This myco stuff isn't crazy expensive, https://buildasoil.com/collections/...ine-inoculum-endo-blend?variant=1502669799442

But this "Mycrobe Complete" stuff on the other hand is CRAZY expensive. https://buildasoil.com/collections/myco/products/rootwise-mycrobe-complete?variant=17461900997

I use this one. Xtreme Gardening Mykos Pure Mycorrhizal Inoculant Organic Root Enhancer, 2.2 lbs

also add plenty of worm castings in the bottom of my holes.