What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why people use butane if we have dimethyl ether?

Hi! Im new here, and this is my first question, i only see butane extractions, could somebody xplain me why?

sorry for my bad english. Im learning now it :shucks:

Thanks for your help

There is not much info on the subject out there.
Can you share any info with us?

Yes, but my englis is very bad, i need use google translate. sorry so much.

I've been using it for a long time for my mother's illness and I started with it because it was cleaner. That's why I'm surprised not to find information in this forum about him.

All of extractions machines actually i see are for butane extract.

I hope you understand what I say.

Thanks!:tiphat::thank you:

The_Skunkist

~~ Auto Ninja ~~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi there !

Hi there !

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Hi guys !

Well, is butane a real solvant ? No , it 's good solvant for THC because of the cold.

DME is a real solvant, so you can also drain chorophylle if you insist too much .
"DME is a solvant for plastic also" you need a stronger extractor than a cheap plastic one,or a water bottle .

DME is easier to purge .

I was already doing BHO 15 years ago ... DHO seems safer .

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi! Im new here, and this is my first question, i only see butane extractions, could somebody xplain me why?

Thanks for your help

I've used them both, and even have some cans of MZ-12 DME left over from my experiments. DME was certainly attractive, given all the renewable resources that it can be made from.

It is mostly currently sensitized from natural gas, but can be made from any methane source, including municipal waste.

My guess the reason DME didn't make it as big as LPG, is because LPG does an excellent job, and is easier to reclaim.

Finding polymers in valves, pumps, and extractors that will stand up to DME is problematic. PTFE will, but is not suitable for all polymer applications because of its hardness.

Both LPG and DME are highly flammable, so require similar facilities and precautions.

As I recall, another issue that came up during the original marketing attempts on ZHO, probably 134A, followed by Mz-12, was that it was first presented as liquid methane, which we quickly took apart on this forum, and correctly guessed the mystery solvent was DME, based on its physical properties.

There was also some concern about peroxides when reclaiming.

Here is more reading under Pure ZHO extraction solvent by Skyhighler:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=273223&highlight=Dimethyl+ether

Lastly, look at the color of your extract, versus some of the bragging rights LPG extractions posted on this forum and consider which has greater curb appeal, regardless of which one might be more effective???

Last edited:
I've used them both, and even have some cans of MZ-12 DME left over from my experiments. DME was certainly attractive, given all the renewable resources that it can be made from.

It is mostly currently sensitized from natural gas, but can be made from any methane source, including municipal waste.

My guess the reason DME didn't make it as big as LPG, is because LPG does an excellent job, and is easier to reclaim.

Finding polymers in valves, pumps, and extractors that will stand up to DME is problematic. PTFE will, but is not suitable for all polymer applications because of its hardness.

Both LPG and DME are highly flammable, so require similar facilities and precautions.

As I recall, another issue that came up during the original marketing attempts on ZHO, probably 134A, followed by Mz-12, was that it was first presented as liquid methane, which we quickly took apart on this forum, and correctly guessed the mystery solvent was DME, based on its physical properties.

There was also some concern about peroxides when reclaiming.

Here is more reading under Pure ZHO extraction solvent by Skyhighler:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=273223&highlight=Dimethyl+ether

Lastly, look at the color of your extract, versus some of the bragging rights LPG extractions posted on this forum and consider which has greater curb appeal, regardless of which one might be more effective???
1/ Thank you to all who are in this debate
2/I’m using an online translation program, I hope it translates well and doesn’t look Russian.
3/The biggest problem I’ve encountered with Dimethyl Ether is what you say, it destroys the plastic gaskets of normal bho extractors.
That’s why I started the post, I didn’t understand how being better extraction technology (personal opinion) did not have the proper infrastructure.
4/ The same joints and plastics as with 134a including vacuum pumps etc. Perhaps using a closed circuit extraction equipment replacing the gaskets and weak elements could be adapted for the Dho?
Thank you for the post of the zho, it is very interesting, I am reading it little by little, good work exposing the tricks of marketing.

My extractions are purely for medicinal use (fibromyalgia) for my mother, so I have to make sure that everything is as organic as possible, so I do everything, from cultivation to extraction, packing, analysis, everything.
I did an Instagram account to help people who were like me at my starting point, the problem with Instagram is that most people are recreational and not medicinal users.
But I’m stuck right now on optimizing extractions and on the problem of good extraction teams. And most importantly, in Spain it’s illegal and I have to be very careful. I don’t deal with it so I shouldn’t have problems but I treat this issue like I’m working at a nuclear power plant. XD.

I’ll try to learn English faster because I’m sure my writing sounds like a baby.

MANY THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP!!!:huggg:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
4/ The same joints and plastics as with 134a including vacuum pumps etc. Perhaps using a closed circuit extraction equipment replacing the gaskets and weak elements could be adapted for the Dho?
Thank you for the post of the zho, it is very interesting, I am reading it little by little, good work exposing the tricks of marketing.
134a is a fluorocarbon, so has different polymer requirements. PTFE will work with DME, so a passive extraction system using PTFE seals and dry ice to get low enough, should work.

You're welcome!

gr866

Veteran

Thanks for your help

Have you considered going solventless?

I have been making FECO for years using the Frozen Alcohol method, but have recently switched to pressing Rosin, a solventless extraction method.
The return is about the same, minor +/- for both, given the strain. I have also decarboxylated the Rosin, just as FECO, and it works wonder.
I also vape the raw Rosin (not decarbed), but you can vape the decarbed also). There is no comparison between Vaping and smoking combustables, my old lung can really tell the cleanliness of the Rosin. To big a hit will still take you over the edge and you will cough your ass off. LOL

I know this is totally off topic but some have not heard of Rosin.'

Have you considered going solventless?

I have been making FECO for years using the Frozen Alcohol method, but have recently switched to pressing Rosin, a solventless extraction method.
The return is about the same, minor +/- for both, given the strain. I have also decarboxylated the Rosin, just as FECO, and it works wonder.
I also vape the raw Rosin (not decarbed), but you can vape the decarbed also). There is no comparison between Vaping and smoking combustables, my old lung can really tell the cleanliness of the Rosin. To big a hit will still take you over the edge and you will cough your ass off. LOL

I know this is totally off topic but some have not heard of Rosin.'

At first, evaluate all existing extraction methods and discard Rosin because it was impossible to reduce the percentage of plant material and waxes it contributed to final extraction.
What I need is to approach an extraction as pure as possible so that the subsequent dosage is almost accurate and I can always use the same dosages.
I dissolve it in oil in proportions studied for my mother’s illness.
If you have to vaporize because you need an immediate effect, vaporize the marijuana directly.
Thank you for your review! All help is welcome.
Now I’m looking for a vacuum pump that has its PTFE boards, if I don’t find it I guess I’ll have to modify an existing one.
A greeting and thank you all!!!:thank you:

Traduction with:reverso.net :shucks:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
In a past life this material was used to solve hydrocarbon sealing woes. I am clueless about chemistry especially organic.

https://www.calpaclab.com/viton-chemical-compatibility-chart/#

Edit: I have spent quite a lot of time here learning extraction and notice that there are two extractors here from Russia. Comrade Jump177 was a true pioneer who also was about the medical aspect of cannabis. Dr. CBD V2.5, how widespread among the people is knowledge of cannabis as a medicine in Russia? Is that knowledge accepted by the medical profession, do the doctors believe? What is the official government attitude about medicinal use?

Here in America we have a strange form of liberty. The government decides what is good for us and requires the medical/industrial complex (MIC) to support the official party line. Actually it is the opposite and the MIC dictates to the government.

Letting CBD loose on an aging American population allowed people to legally see for themselves some of the cannabis benefits. IMO that is the "door opening" for the whole plant to become free federally in America.

Same plant is my theme. :biggrin:

Last edited:

G.O. Joe

Veteran
If lighters ran on DME instead of butane, the situation could have been different - people would be asking why use DME if we have butane, since butane is cheaper and totally nonpolar.

druida.420

I use Butane and DME in the same extraction ... Because of this i always have something to dab.

What i do is to make a extraction with butane and one with the DME in the same batch. After that i make a purge with hot water where i mix both and then vacuum chamber for 24 hours.

The extraction with DME alone is always way darker and the taste isn't that good as with butane but mixing the two i have the best of both worlds.

The extraction with Butane and DME gives a final product way more manageable, like a shatter and it holds higher temps.

Of course this works good for me because i do small extractions ( more or else 100gr of trim and small buds each time ).

hellfire

I've seen THC crystallize from a diethyl ether extract a decade ago. If you can keep it cold and use lab glass it can make some really nice stuff. Not for everyone and diethyl ether certainly comes with its own issues. Most people don't have fume hoods.

troutman

Seed Whore
I've used n-Hexane followed by an ethanol purge in my last extraction. I'm planning to make water/ice hash extraction soon.
I've never used butane because I don't like the idea of using a gas for an extraction. Too much boom, boom, boom potential.
Liquids are much safer to use than gases. So be extra careful when using flammable gases.

Latest posts

Latest posts