What's new

Why not just use soil?

Im fairly new at growing indoors, but Ive been growing outdoor plants of all kinds since childhood. I see all these people with hydro grows will all kinds of problems that Ive never, ever seen with my soil grow. Plants are supposed to grow in soil, so why doesnt everyone just use soil like god intended?

Im confused about this...

O

OrganicOzarks

You can not pot soil, and grow in it. Try it out, and see for your self.

komboloi

I used to grow in soil. Just got tired of the slow growth and messy dirt all over the place. I don't have "problems" that stem from my growing hydro.

And if you are worried about what "god intended", you shouldn't be growing indoors under artificial lights anyway.

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Soil is just a more forgiving medium to mistakes, some people in hydro have no business being in it that medium so that is why you see alot of jacked up shit. God didn't intend soil to be used, plants have evolved in soil. Lets not bring unicorns into this.

I used to grow in soil. Just got tired of the slow growth and messy dirt all over the place. I don't have "problems" that stem from my growing hydro.

And if you are worried about what "god intended", you shouldn't be growing indoors under artificial lights anyway.

I lol'd. Maybe because Im new to indoor growing i just dont understand, thats why I asked. Do hydro plants actually grow faster? Ill probably grow soil for a few more years before id ever attempt hydro

You can not pot soil, and grow in it. Try it out, and see for your self.

I dont understand. I am in no way dogging people who are pros that can grow in hydro, I just dont understand why people do it when it seems they cant get anything right with all kinds of issues. My bother tried it, and had the crappiest little dinky buds ever. I may try growing a single plant in hydro just to see if its something I can acually be successful at.

...and I heard unicorn poop is the best fertilizer EVAR

N

noyd666

:biggrin: i need some unicorn poop:moon: for my soil grow i just started after running out of coco, is it realy what its cracked up to be?:tiphat:

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Do hydro plants actually grow faster? Ill probably grow soil for a few more years before id ever attempt hydro
As a general gardening rule... you can pull about 4 times the produce using hydro than you can with soil in the same space. With cannabis that's not quite accurate but there's a definite difference in vegging speed and overall weight with hydro.

There are actually a lot of small hydro systems you could play around with, to get used to it. Indoor and outdoor hydro. Outdoor hydro is AWESOME, when you can set up a system in balance with the surrounding environment.

You've been growing outdoor in a large 'system' of integrated organisms. Growing indoor is more like growing things in a lab... in the end, you're only giving them the basics that they need, not allowing them to draw them from a complex web. Even 'organic' indoor soil is just a pale representation of what exposure to nature can do with that same soil.

I prefer hydro for now. It's cheap, it's simple, I know exactly what's in my solution and it's so easy I can do it blindfolded. The hardest part about hydroponics is forgetting all the fearmongering and disinformation that's grown up from people not understanding hydro.

Once you understand hydro... you realize how simple it really is. After that it's only as complicated as you make it. :)

Do a general internet search for "Ask Lucas" and read the whole thread. Awesome info there on hydro and reservoir maintenance (The other half of "Hydro" that most people forget...). You'll learn a LOT and it applies to every style of hydro.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran

That is nothing more than a scientific theory - probability / likeliness. Not really a proven thing either...both conclusions still require an essential degree of faith to ascertain...

If we were talking evolution, perhaps it WOULD be appropriate to discuss unicorns, as they are probably horses now. :peacock:

Anyhoo.... ;)

To the original poster - you belong here -

https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65536

(organic soil forum) :biggrin:

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
is it realy what its cracked up to be?:tiphat:

Yes.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Soil is that good.

dank.Frank

O

OrganicOzarks

I dont understand. I am in no way dogging people who are pros that can grow in hydro, I just dont understand why people do it when it seems they cant get anything right with all kinds of issues. My bother tried it, and had the crappiest little dinky buds ever. I may try growing a single plant in hydro just to see if its something I can acually be successful at.

...and I heard unicorn poop is the best fertilizer EVAR

I am talking about growing in actual soil dug form the ground. It does not work. As for growing in a soilless medium with ample organic amendments, and compost it can be done, and you can surely get GIANT FROSTY BUDS. to the average person they call this growing in soil, but it s not considered soil at all. You are using the wrong term. If you want to learn about really growing in soilless mixes you need to head over to the organics section. Then you can step your game up, and stop buying all of the shit from the hydro store, and get results like the below picture. Nothing from this grow was pre-made. I made every input that the plant got. Including but not limited to the soilless mix, compost tea, liquid nutes, and even designed the compost tea brewer that was used to brew the tea. I would never knowingly smoke hydro grown buds.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Hydro = Science.

Soil = an art.

I choose to grow in soil because it is a great representation of what I can do. When you go the hydro route, you are following a recipe that allows you peak performance. When your art as an organic soil grower develops, the yield difference between the two growing styles become very comparable. Also, the quality of organic soil grown herb will ALWAYS be better than hydro with chemicals. I keep my hydro tables around, but they have been on the side of the house for more than 5 years now, no want to go back yet.

V

veclo

Soil is easier when you are first starting out, i think people just go with recipe that worked for them in the past.

bigshrimp

Veteran
Straight topsoil will 99 percent of the time would need to be ammended for drainage. Though soils fine particle size would make this difficult. You would likely have to use more sand, which is heavy and has low cec. There are alternate methods for removing water from soil but they ate a little more work. This is why people use soilless mixes.

If your still interested in using a "heavy" media id suggest looking into perched water tables and read 'water movement and retention' at gardenweb.

Granger2

Veteran
Not all, but most garden soils don't work well in containers because they are too heavy. They don't have enough aeration, and they hold too much moisture. You could take a garden soil and amend it heavily with things like perlite and organic matter and get it to work, but it would pretty well be one ingredient in a mix. Good luck. -granger

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am talking about growing in actual soil dug form the ground. It does not work. As for growing in a soilless medium with ample organic amendments, and compost it can be done, and you can surely get GIANT FROSTY BUDS. to the average person they call this growing in soil, but it s not considered soil at all. You are using the wrong term. If you want to learn about really growing in soilless mixes you need to head over to the organics section. Then you can step your game up, and stop buying all of the shit from the hydro store, and get results like the below picture. Nothing from this grow was pre-made. I made every input that the plant got. Including but not limited to the soilless mix, compost tea, liquid nutes, and even designed the compost tea brewer that was used to brew the tea. I would never knowingly smoke hydro grown buds.
View Image
love me organics albeit commercial organics,,same way last 12 years,,,canna bio products..canna pro-plus "soil"and bio bizz before that ,,taste and aromas far superior imho,,cheers s2

Thanks a bunch for your input, guys. I understand now that I am not actually growing in soil since I am using promix and perlite with nutes added to it before I pot. I am very happy with the results so far, but since Im only on my second harvest indoors, I cant really speak to the effectiveness vs. any other type of grow operation. I know nothing about the tea brewing stuff to add, but i will check out that thread. Thanks again bros!

Hank Hemp

Veteran
I can't imagine trying to grow in what passes for dirt on the side of this hill. Outside yes but not in 5 gallon pots. By the time you stopped adding amendments to it it wouldn't be the same soil.

Latest posts

Latest posts