What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why is THC % in weed is still misrepresented ?

Veggia farmer

sometimes a # represents Excellence

and sometimes it doesn't.

So just to make it clear mate, are you saying that when I say: Thanks. That does NOT represents excellene?

In my world, to be grateful for what someone give is exactly what excellence can be, imHHHo...

The reason? From wiki, first sentence: Excellence is a talent or quality which is unusually good and so surpasses ordinary standards.

The reason, again? People these days can be a little rude and not so polite as I want the world to be, so I try to be the change I want in this world. IMHO.

Peace, all love, still :petting:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if they are getting hplc then they are exaggerating. 39 % is unlikely. I have read 30% and even then there are issues with water movement when one substance starts to dominate.
also if they are using anything but a hplc they are probably wrong.
there is a FRAUDULENT device called a TCHECK it claims to be a spectral analyzer but what is actually is is a VOC meter meant for checking for swamp gases in basements or gas leaks. it shines a light an if there is gas the light is distorted or blocked and a reading is given. nothing more .
now the TCHECK does this "CHECK" and sends the data to the main computer at the company. it "decides" your weed is one particular strain ( based on ad accurate test as a ECmeter reads salts . not individual but as a whole)
so now the company TCHECK sends you a PRE MADE description of what the weed is supposed to be . NOT a test on YOUR sample but a form letter based on their analysis using essentially a flashlight.

Here is the lab certification. This was done for a legal dispensary here in Ca. The lab goes to the grower to collect samples from the whole batch for certification(no cherry picking). It covers everything except terps.

they picked out 18.2g from a batch size of 3009g

picture.php

wow

wow

Here is the lab certification. This was done for a legal dispensary here in Ca. The lab goes to the grower to collect samples from the whole batch for certification(no cherry picking). It covers everything except terps.

they picked out 18.2g from a batch size of 3009g

View Image
wow that is incredible. I cant see that going much higher.
that is the cannabinoid percentage based on the oil extraction as well . I do not see where they listed filtered particle weight .
18.2 gram sample pulled from 3009 gram product .
that 18.2 gram sample is centrifuged and filtered. and the thc % is related to the extracted oil sample in hplc

G.O. Joe

Veteran
The 18.2 g was probably representative of the batch. They do not say how much was used for the cannabinoid part of the testing, or whether that was representative. In any case, is it hard to believe the pot shown has 10-15x more trichomes per gram than 1983 Mexican? Y/N

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im pretty sure they do not use all of the solution. They inject a small sample from whats made from the 18.2g into the column for ea test done.?. I found this info on the web. Looks like they use a 10th% of the solution for ea test?. To be honest we would need someone with HPLC experience to explain how these tests are done.

Rule number one, you have to dissolve 100 percent of the sample, you got to make sure everything's going in solution. Most of these samples, like THC and the cannabinoids, we find [to have] excellent solubility in methanol, ethanol, and ACN. Remember, when running HPLC, I would start with a 10th of a percent of a solution, so one milligram per ml solution. We don't need to make a really concentrated solution of this stuff. And that should get everything in the solution, and make sure we don't leave anything in the container.

IMO there where phenos from 1983 that would test high. Ive smoked plenty back then. Ive grown a lot of my Firestorm strain. I had 3 keepers. #7, #45, #18. I never hit 30% on any of them. To me its either they grow a lot better than I do or its a unreliable test. Its harder for me to believe I grow 50% lower potency plants when no one complains about the potency. There's a huge difference between 15% and 30%.

Last edited:

G.O. Joe

Veteran
The Mexican of which I spoke and knew was the generic seedy stemmy brown brick whose origin and THC could be determined by smell alone, tested 2-3%, which was enough. I already spoke of the HPLC procedure. Not concise enough? They absolutely positively did not dissolve 18.2 g in solvent, not partially or 100%. This should be obvious. Thinking caps people. Maybe the question should be what is the procedure for the other tests.

yes

yes

The Mexican of which I spoke and knew was the generic seedy stemmy brown brick whose origin and THC could be determined by smell alone, tested 2-3%, which was enough. I already spoke of the HPLC procedure. Not concise enough? They absolutely positively did not dissolve 18.2 g in solvent, not partially or 100%. This should be obvious. Thinking caps people. Maybe the question should be what is the procedure for the other tests.
I agree . I was never arguing myself about the actual size taken. I used examples that correlated with percent. . I agree the actual physical sample is small but the numbers are the same. thc relative to sample size .

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The quote I posted above was from someone that uses HPLC for cannabis testing. I have no clue how any of them perform these tests. It would seem odd to me to need 18.2 grams and only use some of it. Ea test requires some. It looks like they did 5 tests using the 18.2g. Thats about 3.6g per test.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
The quote I posted above was from someone that uses HPLC for cannabis testing.

Compare the 1 mg/ml part with my post at the top of page 6. What is the concentration being shot in? The pesticide tests probably use different solvents, because they're much different molecules than cannabinoids. Perhaps they use a gram to extract for pesticides they need ppb testing for.

yes

yes

Compare the 1 mg/ml part with my post at the top of page 6. What is the concentration being shot in? The pesticide tests probably use different solvents, because they're much different molecules than cannabinoids. Perhaps they use a gram to extract for pesticides they need ppb testing for.
i
yes probably . if you look at the top of the pages it lists a different testing method. the cannabinoids vs pesticide

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Here is a pic of the syringe used to inject into the column. What ever size that syringe is I would assume is the sample size. Again we are guessing since none of us know how to perform these tests.

picture.php

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Already told you how big it is, 0.01 ml - for GC too - and speak for yourself. They have reference standards that are applied in known, different amounts, and they compare the absorbances to estimate the unknown amount which is either a precisely known volume or has a precisely known amount of internal standard. See Beer's Law. Is 10% magnesium carbonate limestone 10% rock ''resin''?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Already told you how big it is, 0.01 ml - for GC too - and speak for yourself. They have reference standards that are applied in known, different amounts, and they compare the absorbances to estimate the unknown amount which is either a precisely known volume or has a precisely known amount of internal standard. See Beer's Law. Is 10% magnesium carbonate limestone 10% rock ''resin''?

I guess I misunderstood. I didn't read you know how to use HPLC for cannabis?. Where can I read more about that amount?. If you know what the sample size is why are we even discussing this?. My posts were in response to none in this thread knowing what that was, that was pretty clear. Ive already said multiple times I have no clue how these HPLC tests are done..

Last edited:

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Different outfits probably do different things and I have no idea what. I might have a better handle on how things aren't done. SOP stuff is not exactly shared, though a lot is known in the literature. SOP's for the pesticide tests can probably be googled. Maybe they do extract 10 grams. What do they do with the rest?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ill leave it to you guys to figure out. As Ive said I don't trust potency testing at all.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
The "big" sampels are stored if the lab has to do the test again. Don't know how it is on the other side of the atlantic but in my county a lab has to be able to prove that their results are right so they have to store the samples for some years.

Latest posts

Latest posts