What's new

Why is my hash so greasy?

Hey, total hash novice here, made fresh frozen water hash for the first time. Grew about 5lbs of fresh outdoor, froze almost all of it except a few choice colas. My mind is totally warped by IG and don't know what to think of my own hash.

After scooping it out of the bags, I let it dry on a 25u sheet on cardboard for about 30min then stuck it back in freezer. When I looked at it wet under a microscope, it looked very pure and the heads were all intact.

I took some out of the freezer, bit it into smaller pieces to dry on parchment paper and most of it greased up within a couple of hours and is extremely soft at room temperature. It has only been drying for 2-3 days and I can't chop it into more smaller pieces cause it just melts to the knife. Not sure where to go from there. I rolled it into a ball and then flattened it again to hopefully get it dryer, but it just looks like the same greasy consistency as yesterday.

I micro planned some frozen 73u and 120u onto cardboard. Even freezing the micro planner, most of the hash just melted to my fingers. Its been less than 8 hours drying, and instead of a "beach sand" or granular texture like when it was frozen, it looks melted into greased.

Is it bad that it's so melty at room temperature? Is this just the nature of the strain or did I do something wrong? (it's Blueberry Muffin from seed, a not very Blueberry Muffin smelling pheno, but my best yielder of 3 phenos). What can/should I do to cure and/or store such a greasy mess?

Mr. J

I'm not a hash expert but I've grown a lot of weed. There seems to me to be 3 main types. Some resin is just really greasy. The other 2 are the sandy resin and the sticky resin. Looks like you have some of that greasy shit.

Cvh

Supermod
Free ☕
It's no good. Send it me and I'll dispose of it for you.

Seriously, it's sounds like killer hash. I bet, if you put a lighter to it that it bubbles.

GGNo2

I made my first hash this summer and mine was the same as yours. Soft and greasy, apparently that's the best way for it to be. You should be pleased. I was told mine was just as good if not better than a couple of my friends had tried in Amsterdam.

Oh and I kept mine in refrigerator but I only had 14g and between me and my friends it was gone within the week haha.

mack 10

Veteran
Just the nature of the beast.
Most good quality resin will melt into itself
If the temp goes to warm.
The higher the quality the easier to melt.
Also terps play a major role,
Especially if you have saved most of them by live freezing.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm with the rest of these guys. I'm not seeing a problem here.

therevverend

Veteran
Yeah I agree with everybody else, greasy is typical for fresh/frozen hash. The consistency turns out quite differently from dry sift or bubble bagged water hash from dried material. I like using cellophane to handle it, sticks to everything else. Be sure to let it thoroughly dry, moisture tends to lock inside. It'll mold if you aren't careful. Once it's 100% dry it might be less sticky. Strain makes a difference of course. You could try pressing it, squeezing it tight can force out moisture and make it less volatile. The best thing to do is keep it in the freezer, much easier to manipulate and cut and less worries about mold.

Sounds like you made wonderful stuff, I'll bet you're having a fun time!

Thanks for the peace of mind, everyone! I was aware of sticky vs dry resin flowers, but never had thought of any of my flowers as "greasy", so this is quite the shock. I have 1 other pheno already washed that I haven't tried drying and a Lemon Kush in the freezer still to be washed. Can't wait to see what consistency that turns out.

You have nothing to worry about.
Have you tried it yet?

Not yet, I was worried it wasn't dry enough. I did the lighter test on the grease blob I have drying already and it bubbled very nicely. I'll have time this weekend to have a proper smoke session, hopefully tomorrow!

Be sure to let it thoroughly dry, moisture tends to lock inside. It'll mold if you aren't careful. Once it's 100% dry it might be less sticky.

Thanks. Any way of knowing when it's actually dry? It's already gone from blonde to dark brown in less than 24 hours. The small amount I microplaned onto cardboard is really stuck to it now, afraid to even touch it, for sure will pull a ton of fibers with it. I think I'll microplane the next gram onto parchment.

Would it be a bad idea to try to smoke the frozen stuff that I haven't dried yet? Worst case I'd just be huffing some steam with the oil, right? I really don't want to microplane the entire batch. I have a knife in the freezer just covered with finger hash now.

H

hard rain

Some hash is non greasy and crumbly.

Other hash can be black and very greasy. Depends on the variety of cannabis you grow.

Nothing to worry about.

prune

Veteran
You should dry it undisturbed (other than the initial spread and razor dice) on the cardboard for a longer period of time for the best drying process. Because of the small surface area, the most efficient drying is the capillary extraction action on the cardboard.

If you freeze it with too high a moisture content the ice crystals break the trichome heads and release the resin into the hash, making it more gooey. This makes it almost impossible to further dry the hashish, leaving it susceptible to molding and excessive terpene loss.

therevverend

Veteran
Yeah always keep the stuff on cellophane or parchment. I'd put the cardboard in the freezer, it should break off better then if you tried at room temperature. Smoking the wet stuff should be fine, except it may not burn as well or as evenly. There's chemical processes that happen when flowers dry, makes the cannbinoids and terpenes more available to your body and brain. It's not a concern really with resin but curing should improve the flavor and make the smoke less harsh and more enjoyable.

I can't really give you a set amount of time, 'it's dry when it's dry'. Depends on stuff like density, room temp, air circulation, etc. A cool dry place with good circulation away from heat sources and light is ideal. That way you won't need to worry about letting it get too dry and brittle. 2-3 days seems right, you'll see a difference when you hit it with the lighter. It'll flare up and the smoke will be white and thick. Hash making is all about experimentation and finding what works best for your methods. After 2 or 3 batches you'll have a good idea what works.

Drewsif

Some hash is non greasy and crumbly.

Other hash can be black and very greasy. Depends on the variety of cannabis you grow.

Nothing to worry about.

And how its grown. Lots of grow products change the resin. Genetically speaking it's the thickness of the trich shell. Which again ia affected by the grow. High winds create "sand" resin on most strains.