What's new

Why Do you like sativas?

whodi

Veteran
Pure sativas make me paranoid. I don't really understand how they're so popular. I know it makes you motivated, instead of groggy.. but is it worth the paranoia/anxiety feeling to you?

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
I dont really get paranoia or anxiety so the high of pure sativas doesnt bother me. What does bother me is the long flowering time and often large size they can grow, so I dont grow them often and when I do I always 12/12 them from seed if growing indoors.

For an uplifting, motivating cup-of-coffee style high my personal favorite is Cinderella 99. Its not a pure sativa, its only something like 75% sativa (if that), but its high speaks for itself - some people think its a pure sativa simply because of the nature of its high. (Plus it finishes in under 50-60 days, and most phenos have a really nice tropical smell and flavor - pineapple in some, more grapefruity in others)
It's my favorite day-time smoke, and a good motivating one at that.

Last edited:
i loooooooooooooooooooooooooove sativas oh so much... in fact i only really prefer an indica at night whne getting ready for bed... i loooove smoking, i mean i love the act of smoking (not that i don't love the herb too, but thats not the poitn).... so if i want to sit there and puff on a J for a while ( i gave up cig smoking and picked up joint smoking... i'm quite OK with the tradeoff).... and for the longest while it was J's of mexi commercial (hell i'm in Az that stuff is everywhere and CHEAP)... it just sort of fits my lifestyle... a J of a hard indica is pleasant but generally i'm ready for a nap afterwards...

and that doesn't work too well with bandmates or the ol lady most of the time... haha..

... i don't really seem to get the whole paranoia thing too much like some... i think that s kinda individualistic (plus, i've found a lot of early cut sativa's will do that more than something fully finsihed... maybe that has a bit to do with it???)

C21H30O2

I have ridden the mighty sandworm.
Veteran
whodi said:
Pure sativas make me paranoid. I don't really understand how they're so popular. I know it makes you motivated, instead of groggy.. but is it worth the paranoia/anxiety feeling to you?
that is not true of all sativas or even pure sativas. i know what you mean by making you paranoid giving you anxiety etc. but there are sativas that at the same time give you energy and relax you, and you are really really really stoned these are the old school genetics but there are some new school greats too. every strain is different in general sativas are more up high but a really great smoke is up with no paranoia and mad stone. keep on trying the sativas im sure you will see what i mean. on top of that smokers tend to build a tolerance to indicas with a good sativa you can smoke it for 6 months every day and it will still get you as stoned as the first day you started. an ideal sativa is inspirational , motivative , ethereal, psychedelic etc etc. not an anxiety ridden nightmare. sorry for the speech ... im smoking a good sativa lol :joint:

green_grow

Veteran
" an ideal sativa is inspirational , motivative , ethereal, psychedelic etc etc. not an anxiety ridden nightmare."

this is why i started growing; it is my holy grail.

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
C21H30O2 did give an very good answer :yes:

Here´s some pure sativa from African -> Swaziland -> Rooibart!

And a Peruvian landrace highland sativa Rojó, this one offers great peace of mind with same time giving you the energy rush & heady high of your life, very clear however..

Great medicinal values are waiting to be discovered from these complex cannabinoids that these pure sativas produce ripe :2cents:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I'd have to agree - personally, I find the uplifting effects of sativas much more satisfying (and interesting). I never get paranoia or anxiety either, but then I do like psychedelics too, which may be something to do with it - I think it's just a question of where your comfort-zone is with regard to ego-loss and other factors.

Some people can find it really disturbing to find their mind leaking out of their ears whilst standing in a queue in the supermarket, and can react badly - I however love that kind of thing. Also the other cause of paranoia/anxiety with sativas can be the very slow onset - if you're used to getting wasted in five minutes, they can be quite confusing, especially if half an hour later it really kicks in. A few friends have been alarmed by the Thai sticks I've been getting recently - it's so smooth and 'old-school' in taste and appearance that they think they've peaked after 20 mins, and then an hour later - BAM - completely losing it in the pub, and having to go home and ring me up, etc....:)

My main goals in learning breeding have been to produce quality indoor sativa-dominant plants that produce the clear, kick-ass effects without the leggy, fluffy traits and the low yield. I don't mind the flower-time, though I'd prefer it lower, obviously. I've had some success so far, and consider it well worth investigating further. Having a friend comment "I didn't realise weed could do this!" gives me quite a lot of satisfaction...:)

titoon29

Travelling Cannagrapher Penguin !
Veteran
I love the uplifting high of sativas, like mostly of people interested in those... indicas, after a while, are boring and you get so lazy !!!
Like elevator man said :
Having a friend comment "I didn't realise weed could do this!" gives me quite a lot of satisfaction...:)

i was trippin hard after smoking some jamaican pearl (15weeks flowering), few days ago, one of the best high of my life... Happy, trippy....

Sirius

whodi said:
Pure sativas make me paranoid. I don't really understand how they're so popular.

Probably because paranoia is your mental state, and isn't produced by the marijuana.

I started smoking pot at the beginning of my teen years and the best smoking memories I have are all -bar one or two- of me and my friends running around in a sativa induced haze, giggling our asses off as we got up to all kinds of shenanigans and mischief :headbange .I'd estimate that 75-85% of the weed around when I was growing up was sativa or sativa dominant Aussie outdoor.Then when I was around 17-18 it slowly started getting harder to find sat as everything-well almost everything around was heavy couchlock indica which was faster to grow and yielded fat when grown hydro :badday: .I stopped smoking for years and eventually took up growing because I missed that energised, giggly euphoria I only got from mild-mid strength sativas.Now that I've had the opportunity to smoke different strains I dont actually mind indi buds now and then but when I want to feel that 'special' feeling only a sativa will do... :rasta:

Haze! Hawaiin Sativas! I just love them due to the fact of the roaring cerebral effect followed by loads of energy and a warped beautiful view of the world. I could run a marathon but choose not to. I never get paranoid/anxiety. Sounds like you're getting bad stuff. The racier the better when it comes to sativa for me. But deep deep down I'm an indica lover. I just have an affair with a sativa once in a while.

C21H30O2

Veteran
someone pointed out early sativas have legs usually meaning the high is long and varied. one moment you'll be spaced out looking at a blade of grass next thing someone will sneeze and everyone is laughing their asses off for 15 min.in contrast most indicas simply hit you and remain the same throughout (until you fall asleep).

Saibai

栽培して収穫しましょう!
Veteran
I tend not to go for pure indicas or sativas, I like some kind of balance, even a hint of the other. Then again, I've smoked pure indicas but not 100% sativas, so...next year :)

Someone once said "Sativas are for smoking, Indicas are for hash."

smoke1sun

What Goes Around Comes Around. But Am I Comming Or
Veteran
As of right now the closes thing to a sativa ive had was joey weeds c99, now i like the uplifting still able to function but damn im high feeling it gave me, so much that im growing some mango haze right now so i can see what its about, then after that im a try some of tom hills original haze. Its the variety that i like. Im not a heavy everyday smoker but, as most of my smoke goes to my cuz for her nausea, with heavy indicas work best, but its had for her to function. So we are gonna try some hazes for some get off my ass type highs.

C21H30O2

Veteran
smoke1sun said:
As of right now the closes thing to a sativa ive had was joey weeds c99, now i like the uplifting still able to function but damn im high feeling it gave me, so much that im growing some mango haze right now so i can see what its about, then after that im a try some of tom hills original haze. Its the variety that i like. Im not a heavy everyday smoker but, as most of my smoke goes to my cuz for her nausea, with heavy indicas work best, but its had for her to function. So we are gonna try some hazes for some get off my ass type highs.
i feel as if c99 is an example of a sativa whose traits have been distilled down so that only raciness and potency remain. very strong smoke but not what i would call a good example of the potential of sativas. the sativa high can be deep and dreamy where you'll catch yourself saying "where am I" with a smile on your face.

whats the longest anybody let their sat. ladies go indoors? i've seen a friend take some mexi's 14 weeks and yessir it was perrrfect... but man 3 months is some waiting time...

A

Azeotrope

I can tell you that the hazy JohnnyBlaze (DJ's sativa leaning blueberry male X Neville's Haze) has been hitting the paranoid freako button for me lately. Exceptionally strong.
Anything more than 30% Indica usually kills my motivation and I can't get on with life, but the Johnny Blaze is a little to extreme on the Sativa side this time. LOL

L

levant

I find it is the old-world sativa's that have the "special" high,
That "Natural vibe" if you like.
Its the balancing/harmonious effect that uplifts the mind AND relaxes the body.
The body effect though is different from the heavy indica stones.

Not narcotic but sedated yet pleasantly alert and tactile in a warm bubble.
Like the feeling of some yoga postures.

These stones will also allow you to see things more clearly/change your
perspective in a different way to most modern hybrids.
Hard to explain but I'm sure its to do with the cannabinoid profile of
the old world genetics.

See here a strain that does it for me, Ethiopian Highland:

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=91697