What's new

Why do you have to use fans?

Grow_engineer

Per aspera ad astra
Veteran
If your voltage is lower, the fan will just go slower. If it's higher - fan will go too fast :) If your adapters amperage is lower than 0.11 the adapter will heat up. (Am i right with last one? Never tried doing it, and i'm not an electrician).

You are right, but: if the Voltage the adapter provides is too low, the fan wont start his job. Most PC-related fans go from 7-12V.

I hope this helps as my english is not that good ;)

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Your trying to simulate the conditions that your plant would have outside. So think of the outside the wind and cirulating air if you didn't have this you would start to get mold ect. It may seem like a pain in the ass but there is a reason for it. Just like there is a reason for CO2 when you have too many plants and it uses up the oxygen in the room so you must compensate with C02. All Greenhouses have hugh fans so the air is always moving and so should your air be moving. Preferably fresh air aswell lol peace out Headband707

Kalimaa

I removed the front protection hood from the fan , as someone on a chili growing forum who had the same fan as me suggested to do.
It now spins faster than before and the noise seems a little smoother. I am trying to get used to it. I still find PC fans too complicated although its an option if my current fan brokes down.

BTW can you hook up 2 PC fans on one adapter or do you need one for each?

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Cleaning the blades also quiets them down.

Cleaning the blades also quiets them down.

I removed the front protection hood from the fan , as someone on a chili growing forum who had the same fan as me suggested to do.
It now spins faster than before and the noise seems a little smoother. I am trying to get used to it. I still find PC fans too complicated although its an option if my current fan brokes down.

BTW can you hook up 2 PC fans on one adapter or do you need one for each?

You can run several fans in parallel on the same 12 volt supply.
Just add up the current required and don't draw more than 80% of your power supply's output current rating.

Aloha,
Weeze

supermanlives

Veteran
You do NOT have to use fans (we havent for years) ,, and nothing is a given when growing.

But added airflow helps increase yields... mainly because stem movement makes stronger plants... and helps with the exchange of air indoors (we grow outside underglass mainly and open a window)

Hope this helps

i have no circulation fan just some serious exhaust fans

le crunch

Hah! I LOLd. :bump: Would be really intresting to see pictures of a no-fan-indoor-grow and the buds of course. Not a lot of results on google about this.

Kalimaa check out my 68w cab thread - that was my first indoor grow and I didn't use a fan for that one.

Kalimaa

Kalimaa check out my 68w cab thread - that was my first indoor grow and I didn't use a fan for that one.

wow I would be quite satisfied with that amouth of harvest. Also considering you used very small pots. I just ordered a 50w LED UFO ( I had one of these in my last grow but sold it).
It actually has a PC fan on it but I dont know if it does much for air circulation. Atleast it blows the hot air up.
I was actually checking Le Crunches grow earlier and I was like "where is the fan....where is the fan??" "it must be somewhere".... :dance013:
Nice to see its possible , pretty much every grow guide gives out the impression its impossible to grow without huge pipes. :watchplant:

Kalimaa

You can smash them out of PCs for FREE at ANY recycling/tip disposal site :D

Why pay for what's free?

Yeah , but I dont think used fans would last very long , besides I would like my fan(s) to be as silent as possible so taking some random freebie fan is not very good option I think.

Kalimaa

Okay so I got 2 Apache fans now and a 2250 mA Rotary Switch Adapter. I have been reading for hours and hours about wiring these things and I am still pretty fucking confused. Reminds me of math class.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8ZlTfMXUYU
In this video the guy talks about a RED wire. What I have is 4 different wires yellow, black, blue and a greenish/blue , but no red wire. I think the black is the negative right?
The plug that goes into the computer needs to be cut right? But do the 2 wires neg and pos need to be stripped?
And what about the adapters plug? If its cut its pretty much ruined and I got all these plugs with it?
Not the even mention how the hell I can get the other fan in the mess. :thinking:

Kalimaa

yee I got the other one working. I stripped the yellow and black wire and just taped them so that yellow is on the outside and black inside the plug. Can I tape the other one on top of that? Can it be that simple?

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran

This would obviously depend on the size of your grow your enviourment your plant etc. In some cases this would be OKAY!!! lol.. I can think of a few plants that wouldn't mind this and a few that would really hate it. In a really small grow this would make no difference. Really good exhaust should be enough to move the air so you will have no problems peace out Headband707

WishDoctor

Not the smartest reasoning happening in this persons head.
More air = larger buds.
Your grow can be improved 100% if you listen to what EVERYONE is telling you.

I hate the noise because I live where I grow. I understand that when using HPS and other powerfull lamps theres a lot of heat build up which needs to be removed. OK. But for a microgrower like me who grows 2 or 3 plants in a closet with CFLs or LEDs there isnt any heat issues atleast not during autumn and winter.
I have always used JUST ONE DESK FAN for ventilation. Not even intake and outgoing wholes which are recommended everywhere. Basicly the fan is for strengthening the stem , not so much for air flow , especially now since I dont have as powerfull lights as in my last grow.
Now I am growing with only 69w of cfl lights. Last time I grew I had more than double and only a deskfan for ventilation. It was on as the lights were on 18 or 12 hours a day. And the harvest was really good I think.
But it was a real pain in the keeping that deskfan on. Especially since they are not really designed to be kept on for 24/7 , so they make more and more sound as they get older and eventually broke down.
PC fans would maybe be more quiet , but they require an adapter of somekind and probably also require some kind of electrical work with the wires which I definately suck at. I have a cameras AC-adapter but I dont know if it can power a pc fan. I think it needs to me DC adaper of somekind. I would probably just end up buing the wrong kind of adapter or some shit , thats why I am not really excited abaut it. Besides we dont have wallmarts around here so I would have to go to an electrical shop of some kind or order it. I am not a technical person at all as you prob realize.
Its weird that people grow all kinds of plants indoors these days and very few of these require any fans to survive. Maybe just a small plant lamp like 21w CFL. I understand that cannabis needs a lot more light to grow buds , but still a wind blowing 24/7? It cant be so I mean its just a weed , it should grow pretty much anywere as long as theres enough light,co2 and nutrients..oh yeah and WATER.

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Yes.

Yes.

yee I got the other one working. I stripped the yellow and black wire and just taped them so that yellow is on the outside and black inside the plug. Can I tape the other one on top of that? Can it be that simple?

It actually is that simple.:)
Yellow to positive, black to negative.

The other 2 wires are used to readout the fan speed.
Congratulations!

And Aloha,
Weeze

I use 2 fans in flower (1 lower and 1 upper) and 1 fan in veg room always going. Important in veg for building thick stems to support big buds and flower for keeping mold from being able to sit down on my plants.

Kalimaa

I couldnt get the other fan working , but thats allright. Now I got a super silent fan I can barely hear it in the back when my computer is on and this is a fairly silent comp. Much better than the shitty desk fan.
And now when the first one dies I just put the other one in. Now my little girls are in constant wind! :thank you: fellow growers!

Latest posts

Latest posts