What's new

Why do YOU grow organic?

Scrappy4

Veteran
Hey mad libberist , i have a bag of trimmings and i dont feel like making hash. Tell me about these extracts you speak of.

I'm not mad, but I will post how I make oil/ butter for medibles. I use 1/4 oz bud for one stick of butter or 1/4 cuo of oil. I first put the bud, trim on some foil and bake it for 5 minutes at 275 F. Then grind it in an old coffee grinder to powder. I take the powder and mix it with the butter or oil in a quart jar, and cover loosely. Then I partially fill a small crock pot up with water, and put the jar in it. I leave it on high for 4-5 hours then maybe on low over night, or just strain it then. The strained material is then washed with some boiling water, that water is separately put in the freezer to cool, when it cools you can spoon off the oil/butter to add to the other butter. If you want super potent , use at 1/2 cup (buds used) per batch, normal but still strong if you used buds would be a 1/4 cup per batch. If you want strong as hell meds, add some hash. Warning here is appropriate, too strong and the buzz is like an endurance test, not good for everyone but experienced folks? I also add duff from my vape sometimes at 1 unit duff to 2 units bud, too much duff gives me headaches.....scrappy

I'm not mad, but I will post how I make oil/ butter for medibles. I use 1/4 oz bud for one stick of butter or 1/4 cuo of oil. I first put the bud, trim on some foil and bake it for 5 minutes at 275 F. Then grind it in an old coffee grinder to powder. I take the powder and mix it with the butter or oil in a quart jar, and cover loosely. Then I partially fill a small crock pot up with water, and put the jar in it. I leave it on high for 4-5 hours then maybe on low over night, or just strain it then. The strained material is then washed with some boiling water, that water is separately put in the freezer to cool, when it cools you can spoon off the oil/butter to add to the other butter. If you want super potent , use at 1/2 cup (buds used) per batch, normal but still strong if you used buds would be a 1/4 cup per batch. If you want strong as hell meds, add some hash. Warning here is appropriate, too strong and the buzz is like an endurance test, not good for everyone but experienced folks? I also add duff from my vape sometimes at 1 unit duff to 2 units bud, too much duff gives me headaches.....scrappy

Thanks dude.

mad librettist

Veteran
I've made butter more or less that way, with water to take what you don't want.

however, it is much, much, better, tastier, and more effective to make your medibles with extracts. Hash oil/amber can be added to all kinds of things without that green monster taste.

for me the downfall of bud butter is you have to eat all that butter/oil to get stoned, and to eat the butter without yacking most people need lots of sugar and other flavors (like brownies). I can't be eating brownies all the time.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cold water extracted trichomes is (in my opinion) the best and purest form of extract. If you use the correct sized mesh there are no contaminants and by not using solvents, you have no potential pollutants. If you wish to turn it into a tincture just add it to potable alcohol (80 percent from Newfoundland or Ozaarks works best). If you wish to have a salve (for skin lesions) then dissolve it in vegetable oil. You can eat it, you can mix it into any cooking recipe or smoke it and you can keep it in the freezer for a 1000 years.

Matt Rize has listed some good techniques which are more refined but I'm attaching a little PDF I did for people using extract for medicine.

Attachments

• Photo0240
    Photo0240
    70.9 KB · Views: 19

Scrappy4

Veteran
I've made butter more or less that way, with water to take what you don't want.

however, it is much, much, better, tastier, and more effective to make your medibles with extracts. Hash oil/amber can be added to all kinds of things without that green monster taste.

for me the downfall of bud butter is you have to eat all that butter/oil to get stoned, and to eat the butter without yacking most people need lots of sugar and other flavors (like brownies). I can't be eating brownies all the time.

The 5 minute bake takes care of most off tastes. Strong flavors like chocolate help too.

And people, don't use roach weed, that's just nasty, yuk..

We also fill gel caps with oil, using the stronger oil will make these more than strong enough, with normal oil I take two, but it is batch dependent.

We have friends who make a balm with bee's wax, that seems to help with arthritis. The same type of oil is involved.

I also use the oil as shaving cream. I used to use the ultimate shaving oil, then I mixed up mj oil with scented liquid soap and have used it for shaving for a couple of years now. You would never know by smell at all.......scrappy

mad librettist

Veteran
Cold water extracted trichomes is (in my opinion) the best and purest form of extract. If you use the correct sized mesh there are no contaminants and by not using solvents, you have no potential pollutants. If you wish to turn it into a tincture just add it to potable alcohol (80 percent from Newfoundland or Ozaarks works best). If you wish to have a salve (for skin lesions) then dissolve it in vegetable oil. You can eat it, you can mix it into any cooking recipe or smoke it and you can keep it in the freezer for a 1000 years.

Matt Rize has listed some good techniques which are more refined but I'm attaching a little PDF I did for people using extract for medicine.

all the testing i've seen of cold water extracted trichomes showed lots of contamination at any micron size.

why not just make quick wash with the 160 proof? leave the trichomes behind and just take the essence.

re: solvent residue - burning plant matter produces a toxic plume anyway. what kind of dose of methylated spirits are you getting from smoking a piece of purged amber the size of a small booger? i smoke hash balls about 1/3rd the size of a not too big scissor hash ball.

I consider the ambers I've made so far to be much better than any bubble I've had. Once I get good at it - I better start planning my days better. Hash can make me lose entire afternoons.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran

I've made alcohol extracts out of both good kief and good bubble hash on several occasions, and found that every time, ~63% of the starting material ended up in the filters by weight. That means bubble hash is more contaminant than it is THC. I also asked the guys at Steep Hill labs about hash potency vs oil, and they told me they've never had any bubble hash test over 49% THC (usually between 35-45%) whereas oils are usually between 65-75% THC.

Oil is much cleaner, hands down. Properly made and purged oil has no contaminants or solvents in it, just like well-made bubble hash has no water in it.

Scrappy4

Veteran
Kind of still on subject. A little heads up.

I got my extraction 5 bag set for $60 on the net. The smallest mesh at 20 microns is a little small and gets junked up easy, so I would like to get something around 45, my next size up is 75. If your bag shopping this could be important.

Second, I bought a RV wash machine for $39 on the net for hash making, it works just like the $230 ones you see in hydro stores around me. I use it to wash the bags too. Most of the time it is out on loan but at these prices, it's no big risk.....scrappy

B

bract

The alcohol wash, as mentioned previously, is not needed for properly made ice water extract. The plant wax that makes up trichome cell walls is very consumable and part of the natural medicine that is cannabis resin gland heads. etOH (or other alcohol, or hexane ect ect) washing does clean up dirty hash if that is the case.

The issue with water, and why water cured herb has no smell, is the removal of terpenoids, the THC modulators responsible for the grand range of affects from cannabis smoke. For fun you can ask crazy ol Joe P about it. Some (Sam S and many other old schoolers) claim to prefer dry sift for this very reason. Joe P tries to capture the terps that are in the hash water, meanwhile making crappy hash as a result of those efforts.

The terpenoids on the outside of the trichomes are partially water soluble and can be removed in the extraction process. This is fact as far as I can tell. Also fact is that the majority of terpenoids are contained inside the trichome heads. All of my ice water extracts smell and taste exactly like the flowers they came from, but without any green smell or taste.

so water curing... I'm not convinced that is good practice, but I would like to hear more about the affects of smoking water cured flowers.

pictured is OG Kush and SourD ice water extract.

Attachments

• DSCN0207.jpg
    DSCN0207.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN0106.jpg
    DSCN0106.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 5
B

bract

I've made alcohol extracts out of both good kief and good bubble hash on several occasions, and found that every time, ~63% of the starting material ended up in the filters by weight. That means bubble hash is more contaminant than it is THC. I also asked the guys at Steep Hill labs about hash potency vs oil, and they told me they've never had any bubble hash test over 49% THC (usually between 35-45%) whereas oils are usually between 65-75% THC.

Oil is much cleaner, hands down. Properly made and purged oil has no contaminants or solvents in it, just like well-made bubble hash has no water in it.

I've posted hash that tested over 50% here... my blackberry kush tested 54%, 45 to 160 microns (commercial). All of my commerical grade ice water hash tests around 50%. Check out that lastest issue of Kush Magazine. Steep Hill Lab and I just published an article on ice water hash potency.

Your definition of clean is far from accurate. You mean potent, but seeing how Vector is actually 3 gases and has ppm contaminants.... I'd say "clean" isn't really a good way to describe anything made via bho. Vector contaminants don't purge bro, hate to break it to you. Purging and heating bho actually concentrates the contaminants from the vector gas mix.

B

bract

In addition THC percent by weight is NOT proportional to actual potency, as the affects of cannabis depend on terpenoid modulator concentrations. Most seasoned stoners prefer, and get way higher, off of a 9% THC Larry OG, than they do off of a 22% THC Blue Dream? Why is that? THC% means very little without large amounts of terpenoids. These terpenoids are safely inside trichomes, until those trichs are broken down with a solvent and heated and/or purged. This purging rips the terpenoids from the solvent extract, making a higher testing (THC%) concentrate that doesn't have the proper THC modulator to make an enjoyable high. That is why a 60% bho feels like weed crack and a 54% ice water extract feels like smoking a whole joint without the green.

mad librettist

Veteran
I've posted hash that tested over 50% here... my blackberry kush tested 54%, 45 to 160 microns (commercial). All of my commerical grade ice water hash tests around 50%. Check out that lastest issue of Kush Magazine. Steep Hill Lab and I just published an article on ice water hash potency.

Your definition of clean is far from accurate. You mean potent, but seeing how Vector is actually 3 gases and has ppm contaminants.... I'd say "clean" isn't really a good way to describe anything made via bho. Vector contaminants don't purge bro, hate to break it to you. Purging and heating bho actually concentrates the contaminants from the vector gas mix.

thumbs down for not reading the thread! nobody mentioned bho until you bro.

before anyone claims anything is "clean", let's see testing of the smoke.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thumbs down for not reading the thread! nobody mentioned bho until you bro

Isn't this a form of BHO?

Properly made and purged oil has no contaminants or solvents in it

My interest is the anti-tumor action rather than the high. As far as extract using trichomes broken in cold water, this has been pointed to as a pure form extract by scientists for other plants so I don't know why it would not be acceptable for cannabis.

Scrappy- 20 microns huh? that is indeed small. I think the smallest trichome I've see was quite a bit larger. I'm guessing 80 microns.

Mad; have you measured one? The large ciliates hanging around the rotifer are about 350 microns.

B

bract

Isn't this a form of BHO?

Alcohol extracted ice water hash is technically not bho (butane honey oil), but they are sold similarly on the shelves of dispensaries as chemical solvent extracts are illegal in CA. The labeling must hide the solvent used or they would be guilty of a felony crime in CA.

Section 11379.6(a) states: "Except as otherwise provided by law, every person who compounds, converts, produces, derives, processes, or prepares, either directly or indirectly by chemical extraction or independently by means of chemical synthesis, any controlled substance - shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for three, five, or seven years and by a fine up to $50,000"

I hands down prefer the use of alcohol over butane. But neither are needed when preparing concentrates. Why turn my grow from medical to felonious if not needed medically? Plant wax that makes up trichome walls are not "contaminants", but part of the natural medicine.

B

bract

Very valid point; also probably for medicinal efficacy.

Thank you. THC and medical efficacy are not really related either, depending on the condition. I'm taking a 50:50 THC/CBD tincture made from whole plants (better than Sativex and made locally! Those limeys can't compete with CA outdoor grown medicine. www.CBDscience.com), and sometimes a 20:80 THC/CBD tincture for medicine. And smoking THC (without significant amounts of CBD) for fun. Of note is that I did not mention THC%, the ratio of THC to CBD is far more important than THC%.

The other thing I find interesting is that we talk about THC%, but really THC is a group of chemicals that includes delta-8, delta-9, 11-hydroxy, THC-V, and more that I can't remember, then all the corresponding isomers. Depending on how that sample is analyzed, the numbers can vary.

Full Spectrum Lab in CO uses HPLC to get numbers, then does a (13% or so) loss calculation to make the numbers closer to GC/MS numbers. I don't really find that to be an accurate way to measure cannabinoids and makes for some confusion out there in CO. I don't really believe when folks show me numbers for flowers that test over 25% THC, hash that test over 60%, and solvents that test over 80%.

mad librettist

Veteran
my recent habit is a result of actually trying quick wash.

I'm not fighting tumors, I'm fighting a mood disorder.

And I'm not a dispensary.

Latest posts

Latest posts