What's new

Why do YOU grow organic?

busty

I grow organic because it's romantic. Same reason that I'm using soil instead of a more automated system. The complexity makes it a much more interesting hobby, and the feel of the soil in my hands is fulfilling in some odd way :)

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Because it's based on science and not stoner horsesh*t and bogus analysis.

"Yep - this strain is a magnesium hog! Best to add magnesium to preclude problems! The Duh Dude at the grow store says that he sells this product to all the big-time growers!!!"

Translation: "I found some f*cking idiots who are helping me push up my commissions for selling this crap! Kewl, eh?"

Stuff like that.

CC

whodair

Veteran
"Yep - this strain is a magnesium hog! Best to add magnesium to preclude problems! The Duh Dude at the grow store says that he sells this product to all the big-time growers!!!"

Translation: "I found some f*cking idiots who are helping me push up my commissions for selling this crap! Kewl, eh?"

CC

cc

that product sounds great, if it makes my buds super frosty and smell like berries and weigh more and finish quicker ....

MrFista

Veteran
plus fertilizer systems are so expensive! i have to question the motivation of those companies. are they really keeping our plants best interests at heart? or are they just trying to sell as much shit as possible?

Organics will put the charlatans out of business eventually. Char, compost, castings, the 3 c's. Add minerals and microbes - rock dust and teas, and it's growin time, and it's free.

Why will farmers keep paying these companies when they see their neighbour doing it without ferts. Spread the good word.

I wonder when I'ma get in trouble for mentioning you can grow for free. There's a few of us preachin it now, organics is free!

DISCLAIMER: some thinking reading planning and assembly required.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Organics will put the charlatans out of business eventually.
MrFista

Way back around 1983 the first 'grow stores' opened in the PNW - 2 were in Seattle and there were 3 in Portland.

One of the manufacturers (snerk) of ballasts and the parabolic hoods was Light Manufacturing in NE Portland. They were the ones who had the first plug-n-play hydroponic system called 'The Living System' (snerk redux) which they still sell today - well as of yesterday.

About 15 years or so back they opened their own grow store called Everybody's Garden Center and they did well for several years. Then something happened in the manufacturing side of things a couple of years back - remember the deal with a specific ballast that was causing bulbs to explode? Guess who made them?

Seems that in an effort to cut costs they switched suppliers on one of the components - the transformer I believe but I could be wrong. The distributors that moved these across the country (National Garden Wholesale, Sunlight Mfg, et al) had to take them back from their customers and issue credits for the ballasts and maybe even the customers who had bulbs explode.

The chickens came home to roost yesterday - everything in the store is 50% off as they liquidate their inventory. They filed for bankruptcy.

I'm all chocked up and stuff.

Or not.

CC

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
MrFista

Way back around 1983 the first 'grow stores' opened in the PNW - 2 were in Seattle and there were 3 in Portland.

One of the manufacturers (snerk) of ballasts and the parabolic hoods was Light Manufacturing in NE Portland. They were the ones who had the first plug-n-play hydroponic system called 'The Living System' (snerk redux) which they still sell today - well as of yesterday.

About 15 years or so back they opened their own grow store called Everybody's Garden Center and they did well for several years. Then something happened in the manufacturing side of things a couple of years back - remember the deal with a specific ballast that was causing bulbs to explode? Guess who made them?

Seems that in an effort to cut costs they switched suppliers on one of the components - the transformer I believe but I could be wrong. The distributors that moved these across the country (National Garden Wholesale, Sunlight Mfg, et al) had to take them back from their customers and issue credits for the ballasts and maybe even the customers who had bulbs explode.

The chickens came home to roost yesterday - everything in the store is 50% off as they liquidate their inventory. They filed for bankruptcy.

I'm all chocked up and stuff.

Or not.

CC
LOL......A feller could potentially be smart enough to wire and assemble their own ballasts and make their own hoods. I do. You can source ballasts and components locally,learn to wire them up,and grow some tomato's. My last 1000 watt MH was put together using brand new components for around $45.00

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Okay..I'll play. Organic recycled soil...ph meter collecting dust somewhere. This soil CRAWLS with critters. I have no mites,root aphids,gnats,thrips,etc. If anyone thinks those are yellow..that's the HPS. I'll get one with just the MH if need be. Just saying.
picture.php

Couple weeks ago
picture.php

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Do you ever have to intervene to keep the pests away? Very impressive room captain cheez.
Yes....Organic IPM. It's a job like any other really. But after incorporating the methods I've learned here and the soil amendments it seems like less and less overall after you get it down. This cycle I won't be doing a thing to manage pests...they aren't there. AND that's not to say they won't show up somehow.

1. its waaaay cheaper
2. its easier, not as much emphasis on pH and EC or having to have a meter for this and that. dont need much more than some seaweed, ewc and bat guano
3. tastes better
4. burns better
5. smoother smoke
6. healthier, why ingest chemicals in any form if it can be avoided
7. better for the environment (well kinda)
8. my organic buds look way better than anything else I've seen available commercially
9. I've kind of grown accustomed to being an organic pot snob

1. Well, it is not cheaper for me, I use AN.
2-7 the same for me.
9. The Best is Women love to smoke my stuff because they wont choke.
10. My Blue Cheese is the Sweetest Chick weed around.

B

Beerdo

I can be proud of it, and its not asain beasters. Would rather my friends and family have something decent to smoke that's not commercialized crap. I don't even think they flush that stuff. I know a beasters grower who pumps food and overdrive into them right up to the last day. He just cares about money cause he has 11 or 13 mouths to feed. I guarantee he never smokes it.

For me it's all about quality and giving the plants some TLC not greed.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
:shucks:I salute you Captain! you did say you'd play, well it don't look like play to me...thats some serious weedege. can i get a couple tickets to the cheap seats? maybe something with some southern exposure?

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
:shucks:I salute you Captain! you did say you'd play, well it don't look like play to me...thats some serious weedege. can i get a couple tickets to the cheap seats? maybe something with some southern exposure?
Thanks man. I've got my hands full with outdoor ATM and don't have the time to do a thread on my current grow. I'm a bizzy mofo! Just trying to grow some quality medicine and function with Babylon breathing down my neck.

C

Carl Carlson

Producing smooth smoke with conventional growing hasn't been a problem, but what's lacking is the exquisite taste. That's why I'm going back to Organic growing. (going back, because it's where I started years ago, although very half-assed)

Latest posts

Latest posts