What's new

WHY DO SOME PEOPLE HAVE SO MUCH TROUBLE CLONING

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
Not sure either, I've seen many people on here root cuttings without rooting hormone. I've tried it and my cuttings won't root at all without it. They will go 2 sometimes even 3 months living before the white mold gets them and kills them. As soon as I started using rooting hormone, roots in 4-5 days. Thats using rockwool. I've tried using a bubble cloner and an aero cloner as well, same thing. I do like rockwool better though, less maintenance it seems.

I had seen so many people clone without the rooting hormone and they claimed it worked better than using it, I just assumed I didn't need it and the turnaround time in my flowering room has suffered immensely because of it.

So, just because it works for some people doesn't mean it works for everyone.

ThePizzaMan

Veteran
there def. needs to be a cloning sub-forum..as well as a mother maintenance sub-forum...foundations of any successful op.

:)

WelderDan

Veteran
Cloning is a funny thing. What works for one person is a disaster for others. I've tried most methods to varying degrees of success. Using sphagnum and Rootone or perlite and Rootone seem to work best for me.

I think it's a matter of persistence. Keep trying until you find what's best for you.

ajc0k

i used bubble and aero cloners for nearly 100% success, cut and stick them in the neoprene collars, tap water or ro, didn't make a difference for me. Recently i made the switch to cloning in coco since i grow in coco, and to avoid shocking the plant by handling the roots. So easy, 5.5-6.0 ph water, 1 ml Roots Excelurator. take cuts, stick them in the pre-dampened coco, mist cuts with water one time. mist the cloning dome once a day. 7-9 days later i usually have nice white roots. if you have a heating pad use it.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i dunno, i just take the cut, put it inside something that allows the stem to be surrounded in moisture and air, and in a week or so i have a new clone... most of the time. some of my experiments succeeded and failed.
for instance i managed to root a stem with no nodes. just a couple of leaves really where you FIM. then i rooted a bud, and some of my clones failed. i had issues, but overall its as easy as sticking a cut in some moist dirt and waiting.

i think the big issue in most cases of anything is people probably don't grasp the mechanics behind what they're doing. sure you could walk a guy through rebuilding a transmission. but its all for naught if he doesn't understand how any of that shit actually fits together and performs work. people buying/building cloner machines and rooting hormones and snake oil, yet they don't understand why a clone develops roots, or how.

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
I like to stick 'em in a cup of water for about 1-2 weeks before I drop them in a rapid rooter.
I think the biggest problem is having temps too low. 78F seems ideal.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
i noticed no one mentioned anything about doing the 45 cut and slicing a bit of the stem off? no one does this?

i get around 80-90 percent success in rockwool...most of my deaths come when i dont remove the hood everyday and they succumb to white mold and i just toss them....other times they get weird nute burn and i just toss them....i rarely have deaths where they dont root at all or shrivel up...

i also use this stuff called "anti wilt" give them a nice spray seems to help them...

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i doubt that, i root clones under 24/7 all the time.

yesonprop215 i thought everyone automatically knew to cut at a 45 degree angle and immediately put into water if they aren't done taking the rest of the clones so you don't get an embolism in the plant? when i do that i cut again before i put in the medium so the wound will be fresher if that makes any sense. don't want a cauterized wound to try and grow roots out of. like trying to reverse bark to green.

mad librettist

Veteran
cloning at my place in the summer takes forever, whereas in the other seasons it is very fast.

temps are a big deal I think too high or too low no good.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
strange you say that, the biggest factor to getting roots i think is the temperature, the warmer it is the easier it should root, not the opposite. i know i can't root or germ shit if the temps are below 80.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cuz they don't keep the cloning medium moist enough. Plain and simple. I prefer aero-cloning for the most robust roots, but so far CoCo is just so damn easy and clean with no transplanting I will probably keep with it. Not to mention you can just run a drip line making it even easier...

Considering cloning is easy as shit.. just put a cutting in a cup of water and it will root eventually.
I've noticed one thing about people that can't manage this simple task... Their place is a mess. I mean they must never clean up, wash or rinse anything. Like their mommy never taught them to clean up. I see this often from noobs posting pics of failed cloning attempts.
Simple things too.. like putting a clone in a dirty ass glass, it just looks like its covered in bacteria. Not even a thought of giving the glass a cleaning.
taking cuttings with dirty ass scissors that don't look like they cant cut paper. Or razors blades so old they are rusting, and they won't even wipe it clean.

I'm just judging from what I've seen in tons of pictures, but if their pics show such a mess, makes you wonder just how dirty they live.

Also their are the over excited that constantly screw around with the clones instead of just leaving them to root. I'm sure everyone went through this when they started growing.

The strain.. The only time I have a problem cloning, some strains are just really weak or extremely demanding and only root in perfect environments.

OjoRojo420

Feeling good is good enough.
Veteran
Indica dominant strains with woody stems are harder / take longer to root than Sativas with soft (vine like) stems.

Additionally, strains that are Blueberry dom are also more "complex".

My advice is start clean from the get go... I use coco (rinsed and strained to get rid of the little coco particles and any sand, you need to have space between medium particles to retain some air).

After its all rinsed and STRAINED I place the coco in a bucket, add chlorine (bleach) and enough water to cover all. Bleach concentration does not need to be extreme, just enough to get rid of bacteria, fungus and all the bad juju. Let it sit at least 30 mins.

Rinse nicely with plenty of water and the place it back in the bucket; now add ph'd water,
let it sit overnight and you have the best cloning "environment".

Again, rinse and strain.

Ojo

Latest posts

Latest posts