What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why do my seedlings keep ending up like this? (photo)

moshli

Hi! I'm new to growing! Growing an autoflower in DWC, and would really appreciate some pro eyes.

What's wrong? Starts at bottom and works up. pH is steady as a rock. Using tap water with an EC of 310 (or 155ppm). Tried sterile before, this one is with bennies. Exact same thing happens.

Is it calcium?

Attachments

• shitleaf.jpg
    shitleaf.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 10
  • shitleaf2.jpg
    shitleaf2.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 8
G

Gr33nSanta

I d recommend you try growing with a simple mix of vermicompost and perlite or look up subcool's soil recipe. Organic is so much easier. Once you understand the plant, if you want to go back to chemicals go for it but honestly if you do a grow with vermicompost and perlite or supersoil recipe with water only throughout the whole grow cycle you will at least get great weed to smoke. Very easy, plug and play.

moshli

I'm 100% with you man, that was my mistake. I do wish I did that in the first place, no lie. But I've bought every thing and started already, and not ready to give up yet! I'm close to it though hahaha

So anyway, maybe you know? Does it look like an obvious deficiency of something?
I'm having the exact same spotting/yellowing thing happen every time I try.

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
It looks like a nutrient deficiency.

You mentioned the the ec/ppm of your water, but what about the ec/ppm level after you've added your nutrients into your water?

moshli

It looks like a nutrient deficiency.

You mentioned the the ec/ppm of your water, but what about the ec/ppm level after you've added your nutrients into your water?

Thanks Ganoderma - it's at EC 520. I started with 1/4 strength nutes (GH Flora Trio). Maybe about 50ppm of nutes, the rest is the water and the bennies.

Moshi you using the micro grow bloom ? If so use them at 2ml of each in 10ltrs as the chart says easy stuff
I start at economic 0.5 for a week then raise it to economic 0.6 following week hope you get it sorted
Also hand feed till roots hit water through net pot

moshli

Ganoderma - just to add.. looking at your Hooked on Ponics thread... The photo on Day 9... especially plants 1, 7 , 11... it's exactly the same issue. The leaf curling and spotting/yellowing in exactly the same way.

Attachments

• picture.jpg
    picture.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 8

beanja

whats your ph ? They seem like there locking up on you. Double check your calibration too. Gotta be ph related.

moshli

Put your corner on 15mins on 15mins off

What do you mean Ronin?
BTW it's an auto so I've put in less nutes than what is recommended. Also the roots are already very much in the water... I'm well past the stage of lowering the water below the netpot.

Trying to identify the deficiency... is this an obvious case of too little nutrients in the water then?

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...i would suggest that you simplify your approach until you get a few harvey's under your belt.

...part of your problem is that you're climbing 2 learning curves, the hydro curve and the plant growing curve, believe me, knowing how cannabis grows going in makes dialing in active hydro much easier.

...that's not to say that what you're attempting can't be done, just that without the plant reading skills it becomes much more difficult.

...i personally would suggest that you consider coco hempy buckets fed KISS style, which is a passive form of hydro that is very simple and formulaic to run and with the added benefits of being very simple and inexpensive to run, very forgiving to the inexperienced hand and very productive with growth rates similar to DWC without all the drama.

DWC can be a real bitch to nail down.

peace, bozo

moshli

...i would suggest that you simplify your approach until you get a few harvey's under your belt.

...part of your problem is that you're climbing 2 learning curves, the hydro curve and the plant growing curve, believe me, knowing how cannabis grows going in makes dialing in active hydro much easier.

...that's not to say that what you're attempting can't be done, just that without the plant reading skills it becomes much more difficult.

...i personally would suggest that you consider coco hempy buckets fed KISS style, which is a passive form of hydro that is very simple and formulaic to run and with the added benefits of being very simple and inexpensive to run, very forgiving to the inexperienced hand and very productive with growth rates similar to DWC without all the drama.

DWC can be a real bitch to nail down.

peace, bozo

Thanks for the advice, wish I asked you before I started. But I'm trying to deal my current situation...

I've already bought buckets, netpots, hydroton, water pumps, air pumps, air lines, etc. It's all already setup. And paid for. There's a plant in there already. It has a deficiency.

Was hoping an experienced set of eyes could identifiy the deficiency? Does anyone recognise this deficiency?

beanja

you should be hand watering till roots poke out net pots. once they start poking out and reach water then turn on your pump and then raise water level in bucket

moshli

Just to clarify:

the water comes out of my tap at 0.31 ec or 150ppm (0.5x scale).
After adding bennies and nutes it's up to 0.52 ec or 260ppm.

justanotherbozo

Veteran
Thanks for the advice, wish I asked you before I started. But I'm trying to deal my current situation...

I've already bought buckets, netpots, hydroton, water pumps, air pumps, air lines, etc. It's all already setup. And paid for. There's a plant in there already. It has a deficiency.

Was hoping an experienced set of eyes could identifiy the deficiency? Does anyone recognise this deficiency?

...yeah, i understand where you're coming from but putting your active hydro experiment on hold until you have some idea what to expect doesn't mean you can't go back once you DO know what to expect or that your efforts to date have been wasted, it just gives you a chance to get some experience at growing successfully before you move toward more advanced techniques.

...i personally haven't used any of my pumps in several years, and i have several, and while i could look at that as that i wasted my money buying all those pumps i instead choose to look at it as just a part of my evolution as a grower.

...each grower needs to have a serious inner discussion to define thier goals, what they expect to reap, and what level of labor they are willing to expend, me, i'm an old guy who aims for consistency and lack of labor and drama.

...with 8x 2gallon hempy buckets inside a 4x4 tent with a single 600HPS, barebulb vertical style, i pull between 12 and 16 zipz per cycle like clockwork and it's simple enough so i can nap through most of it. The reason that the yield varies so widely is because i never monocrop.

picture.php

...i am NOT telling you that you can't do DWC successfully if you stick with it but i worry knowing how frustrating it can be to see your plants consistently doing poorly, i've seen a LOT of people come and go over the years and so i always recommend that newcomers aim for simplicity and reliability until they earn some experience points before over-complicating things.

...anyway, all any of us can do is make suggestions, it's you that has to make the call.

peace, bozo

PS: i would also recommend that you consider photoperiodic plants going forward, with autos you get one grow per seed and if you find something special, tough shit, you can buy more seeds and hope but you can't clone and be sure of what you'll get, i have a few in my collection that i have been enjoying for years and hundreds of others that have been tried and discarded, keepers are hard to find, lol. ...especially among autos.